I am currently going through a Guthrie Govan phase. << He's awesome!!
I just want to know some stuff to get me started on playing his style.

BTW... Is it blues or jazz or rock?

Thanks,
It's anything he wants it to be, thats part of his charm. Compare ''Rhode Island Shred'' to ''Waves''.
Quote by MaddMann274
I am currently going through a Guthrie Govan phase. << He's awesome!!
I just want to know some stuff to get me started on playing his style.

Thanks,

He would probably say it's more blues rock than it is jazz although he's a really good fusion player; he cut his teeth on the instrument to the tune of Clapton, Beck and Hendrix so reall that's where his style is based.

Also, good luck playing his style, it's something I have yet to hear another human being imitate well. He uses very complicated patterns that shift all the time, he hardly ever sticks to just one sequence or pattern for all of one run, he can shift between the simplest pentatonic lick and the most harmonically scary playing in the blink of an eye, he doesn't like to keep his rhythm totally straight during fast playing, he switches effortlessly between economy, alternate and hybrid picking...

I haven't seen anyone really provide any concrete info about the way he does what he does either, even his own video lessons out there have very little to do with the way he does anything.

I think really your best bet is to go to www.jamtrackcentral.com and buy the Erotic Cakes Special transcription pack to get his tabs of all the composed parts of the album along with his tips and scale ideas for jamming over the improvised sections. If you can also try and hunt down copies of his Creative Guitar books, there are two of them. Those two resources are probably about the best info you're going to get but I don't think you're going to get many clues about his style from them, I don't think they have much information about his soloing.

I would say that Guthrie wouldn't want you to learn how to play like him, all of the teaching material I've seen from him and the various clinics and videos I've seen all point to one thing: learning your own way of doing things.

If all else fails... transcribe anything of his that you can by ear.

Edit: Speaking of jamtrackcentral... try getting some of the custom jam tracks he's done, I think those come with full solo transcriptions of the parts he played so they might give you some clues. There's also the other version of Fives he recorded for them, I think that comes with a full transcription as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He would probably say it's more blues rock than it is jazz although he's a really good fusion player; he cut his teeth on the instrument to the tune of Clapton, Beck and Hendrix so reall that's where his style is based.

Also, good luck playing his style, it's something I have yet to hear another human being imitate well. He uses very complicated patterns that shift all the time, he hardly ever sticks to just one sequence or pattern for all of one run, he can shift between the simplest pentatonic lick and the most harmonically scary playing in the blink of an eye, he doesn't like to keep his rhythm totally straight during fast playing, he switches effortlessly between economy, alternate and hybrid picking...

I haven't seen anyone really provide any concrete info about the way he does what he does either, even his own video lessons out there have very little to do with the way he does anything.

I think really your best bet is to go to www.jamtrackcentral.com and buy the Erotic Cakes Special transcription pack to get his tabs of all the composed parts of the album along with his tips and scale ideas for jamming over the improvised sections. If you can also try and hunt down copies of his Creative Guitar books, there are two of them. Those two resources are probably about the best info you're going to get but I don't think you're going to get many clues about his style from them, I don't think they have much information about his soloing.

I would say that Guthrie wouldn't want you to learn how to play like him, all of the teaching material I've seen from him and the various clinics and videos I've seen all point to one thing: learning your own way of doing things.

Edit: Speaking of jamtrackcentral... try getting some of the custom jam tracks he's done, I think those come with full solo transcriptions of the parts he played so they might give you some clues. There's also the other version of Fives he recorded for them, I think that comes with a full transcription as well.

I'm signed up to www.licklibrary.com and I know that they have him as a contributer. I know he has a couple of lessons posted there- which I haven't checked out as I know I'm no where near being able to play in his style.

It's a pay site but I believe you can pay for individual lessons separatly if you just want the Guthrie Govan stuff.

They also have an interview with him (in features I believe) that includes a sick sick sick jam session.

That's all I can contribute to the conversation. I'll add that it is NOT worth signing up to the site just for the Govan stuff as it's currently minimal.

Lastly - good luck with that!
Quote by cbara
I'm signed up to www.licklibrary.com and I know that they have him as a contributer. I know he has a couple of lessons posted there- which I haven't checked out as I know I'm no where near being able to play in his style.

It's a pay site but I believe you can pay for individual lessons separatly if you just want the Guthrie Govan stuff.

They also have an interview with him (in features I believe) that includes a sick sick sick jam session.

That's all I can contribute to the conversation. I'll add that it is NOT worth signing up to the site just for the Govan stuff as it's currently minimal.

Lastly - good luck with that!

I don't think he does much LickLibrary stuff any more anyway, a lot of his old DVDs/videos have been re-done by other people like Andy James. Even then he was never really teaching his own style that I saw anyway; like I said, all of the instructional material of his that I've seen has been more focussed on giving you the tools to do what you want rather than telling you how he does anything.

Best kind of teacher in my opinion.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Will do man, I checked out a couple of his lessons on youtube. Really helped.
I don't want to imitate him, I just want to get into that kind of style. << Got that jazzy feel and has got cool blues stuff mashed up together. Know what am saying?
Shred-like Jazzy blues.
Are there any other players like him?
Quote by MaddMann274
Will do man, I checked out a couple of his lessons on youtube. Really helped.
I don't want to imitate him, I just want to get into that kind of style. << Got that jazzy feel and has got cool blues stuff mashed up together. Know what am saying?
Shred-like Jazzy blues.

If by that you mean shreddy jazz/blues players then I would also suggest you check out Brett Garsed, Shawn Lane, Shaun Baxter, Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen. None of them really sound like Guthrie, I haven't found anyone who really does, but they're working from the same kind of ideas in the ways that matter. Particular emphasis on Brett Garsed, a criminally underrated player by way too much of the guitar playing world.

Also if you want more Guthrie himself check out the album "Window To The Soul" by GPS, it was an album he did with a couple of former members of Asia and a keyboard player whose name I forget. It's not really like Guthrie's solo stuff but it's still damn good.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If by that you mean shreddy jazz/blues players then I would also suggest you check out Brett Garsed, Shawn Lane, Shaun Baxter, Greg Howe and Richie Kotzen. None of them really sound like Guthrie, I haven't found anyone who really does, but they're working from the same kind of ideas in the ways that matter. Particular emphasis on Brett Garsed, a criminally underrated player by way too much of the guitar playing world.

Also if you want more Guthrie himself check out the album "Window To The Soul" by GPS, it was an album he did with a couple of former members of Asia and a keyboard player whose name I forget. It's not really like Guthrie's solo stuff but it's still damn good.

Alright man, I'll check them and the album out.
Thanks for da help man.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
all of the instructional material of his that I've seen has been more focussed on giving you the tools to do what you want rather than telling you how he does anything.

Best kind of teacher in my opinion.

I agree. I saw a few of his lessons on Youtube, and the amount of wisdom he has is amazing. I think he does that on purpose to try to get people to be more original, and do their own stuff rather than emulating someone else's style.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I'd add Michael Lee Firkins to that list too.

The problem with all those players is that they don't really have a style of their own that you can pin down, because they're simply that good at everything. They're incredibly competent, rounded musicians who are equally adept at pretty much any genre they choose to play.

When you have that level of ability and understanding of the instrument you have ultimate freedom, and when you're at that level the average musician is going to struggle to pin your playing down to something as vague as a "style" even in one passage, let alone across a whole career.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

The problem with all those players is that they don't really have a style of their own that you can pin down, because they're simply that good at everything. They're incredibly competent, rounded musicians who are equally adept at pretty much any genre they choose to play.

I once spoke to a guy that knew Guthrie personally, and he said that according to Guthrie "It was easy" to play the way that he plays. I think people that are truly gifted don't actually think about how they're doing what they're doing, they just do it.

Might also be why his own lessons have little information about how he does things- because possibly, deep down, he doesn't know the specifics. He just plays like himself.

The lesson to be learnt here? Listen to as much music and guitar players as possible, and play all the time (different styles, different pieces etc). Eventually it'll all mix together and you'll end up sounding like yourself.

None of us will end up playing exactly like Guthrie, but nobody- not even Guthrie- can be the expert in playing like YOU!
Just throwing in a random comment here that has to do with gurthrie.

A huge reason why it´s so hard to mimic his style is that gurthrie does not play like many guitarists may do. He often do not follow patterns. He said it himself that he "Plays what he think sounds good". And since none but gurthrie himself knows what he thinks sound good it´s very difficult to write as him. The man has an amazing ear for music, and puts it to exellent use.
Quote by steven seagull
I'd add Michael Lee Firkins to that list too.

Oh definitely, funnily enough when I wrote that post I was sitting at home wracking my brains trying to think of people but when I'd looked at it a few hours before hand at work and didn't have time to reply the names almost wouldn't stop >.<

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.

All three?

What needs to be pointed out here is how good Guthrie is. No really.

You can't reduce his playing to any rules or give a practice routine that'll make you sound like him. You just have to get ridiculously good at almost everything, and then listen!

If you're a standard rock player, I would probably advise looking here - http://www.licklibrary.com/Article.aspx?Article=95%2FtOzKNThg%3D

When I asked Guthrie what had helped to improve the most, he told me that it was when he had to start recording for Guitar Techniques magazine - it wasn't enough to correctly transcribe the notes, he had to nail the players tone, feel and articulation. Hopefully that'll help you as well.
Quote by Freepower
All three?

What needs to be pointed out here is how good Guthrie is. No really.

You can't reduce his playing to any rules or give a practice routine that'll make you sound like him. You just have to get ridiculously good at almost everything, and then listen!

If you're a standard rock player, I would probably advise looking here - http://www.licklibrary.com/Article.aspx?Article=95%2FtOzKNThg%3D

When I asked Guthrie what had helped to improve the most, he told me that it was when he had to start recording for Guitar Techniques magazine - it wasn't enough to correctly transcribe the notes, he had to nail the players tone, feel and articulation. Hopefully that'll help you as well.

You talked to Guthrie? O_O
Thing with licklibrary is that you have to buy everything. So its not my thing. But I've been checkin some of Guthrie's youtube lessons, and they've really helped.
The guy is a master of ALL techniques.
Thanx man.
You talked to Guthrie? O_O

Pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah, I attended Freak Guitar Camp the year he did a masterclass, he's a funny chap.

One thing he was very clear about was that shaping each and every note is important to him. As much as possible, he's trying to clearly mentally hear and then physically articulate notes on an individual basis, although faster stuff is heard in pattern-based chunks.
Quote by Freepower
Pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah, I attended Freak Guitar Camp the year he did a masterclass, he's a funny chap.

One thing he was very clear about was that shaping each and every note is important to him. As much as possible, he's trying to clearly mentally hear and then physically articulate notes on an individual basis, although faster stuff is heard in pattern-based chunks.

Cool. You're so lucky.
Wish i could meet him.
If you've got a bit of cash saved up then it's not too hard to get to meet these guys - you can attend guitar workshops, guitar weekends in the UK, festivals like www.igf.org.uk/International_Guitar_Foundation/Summer_School.html , or even just fly out to NAMM.

I understand it's a bit different if you're young or if you have a mortgage/kids, but there's no reason you can't just find these guys and learn from them.
Quote by MaddMann274

You may want to check out Ron Bumblefoot Thal, although you might think he's more of a rock guy because of his music. But yeah if there's someone who can play Guthrie's stuff, it's Bumblefoot. I don't think there's anything he couldn't play.

Here's a vid of Ron and Guthrie jamming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9nsacBdrU

BTW Ron is also one of the lead guitarists for Guns N' Roses since 2006.
Quote by Freepower
If you've got a bit of cash saved up then it's not too hard to get to meet these guys - you can attend guitar workshops, guitar weekends in the UK, festivals like www.igf.org.uk/International_Guitar_Foundation/Summer_School.html , or even just fly out to NAMM.

I understand it's a bit different if you're young or if you have a mortgage/kids, but there's no reason you can't just find these guys and learn from them.

Yep, and I am in the Maldives not UK.
Quote by Freepower
Well, I flew to Sweden for Guthrie and Mattias, and to England for Andy James and the International Guitar Festival.

I bet your arms were tired.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com