hi guys,

well i was playing my strat today and noticed alot of fret buzz so decided to adjust the truss rod slightly ( just put 10s on it instead of the 9s it was set up for).

the buzzling has gone now and its playing great, just wondering how i check that i havent over adjusted the truss rod? as i dont really want to ruin this guitar.
Quote by mightymanlet
hi guys,

well i was playing my strat today and noticed alot of fret buzz so decided to adjust the truss rod slightly ( just put 10s on it instead of the 9s it was set up for).

the buzzling has gone now and its playing great, just wondering how i check that i havent over adjusted the truss rod? as i dont really want to ruin this guitar.

As long as you make small adjustments, you won't break anything or ruin the guitar. Sounds like you did just fine if the buzzing has ceased. Good job.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
ahh thank feck for that, just put new pups in it so didnt want to break the bloody thing.
Quote by mightymanlet
ahh thank feck for that, just put new pups in it so didnt want to break the bloody thing.

Yeah, as long as you take your time and make small adjustments and test the guitar after each adjustment, you'll be fine. It's better in the long run to learn these things yourself so you can save money by not having to take it to a tech. I have standard bridge guitars and I've set them up with different strings in different tunings, adjusted the truss rod and the intonation and it's all simple but takes some patience. I took my Eclipse to a tech once, paid 50 bucks and I swear the guy made my guitar worse than what it was before I took it to him. He had my low E buzzing like crazy even if I gently plucked the string. I easily fixed that by adjusting the truss rod. Seems like HE could've done that. He also had the neck absolutely straight when it should have some relief to it. Long story short, I setup my own guitar better than he did and for free. Just do some reading and you'll be good.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Last edited by TH3M B0N3Z at Aug 11, 2011,
If its over adjusted you'll know it... If it plays the way you want, it sounds like its just right. Just do 1/8 turn at a time and you'll be good... If you try for full turns and you hear a pop, you've broken it...