I have a Trace Elliot RAH350SMX 700 watt hybrid bass amp, and I need to replace the fuse holders in it. Now I'm hesitant to do this because it has filter caps the size of Mars in it, and I don't want to get shocked. I'm wondering, do I need to disconnect them when I replace the speaker fuse, and the main fuse holders, or would I be fine with them connected?

The filter cap wires are just screwed on, so it wouldn't be hard to disconnect them, I just want to know before I do this.

Here's how big they are.

so make sure the amp is unplugged let it sit over night and it should be fine if you are still concerned then don't let the neg and the pos touch if as long as they don't no current can be produced. don't hold the positve and touch it to a ground either..... the negitive could be grounded but volts won't wont kill you maybe couse some numbness so don't worry about.
or you could just undu the wires on the cap is you are concerned.. that would kill the ability to produce amps
Quote by Briyan_15
or you could just undu the wires on the cap is you are concerned.. that would kill the ability to produce amps

That's what I did, I disconnected the green lead, since it was going to the speaker fuse, I got it fixed. Thanks for the input though.
Quote by bigbitefx
The shock couldn't be much worse than the ones from coils in a car!

This amp runs at 115 volts and 6.3 amps, I check the volts in the caps, was alot, pegged my meter. The speaker out is 10 amps.

A automotive coil runs at 40,000 volts, but less than .1 amps. It only takes a little more than .1 amps to kill you, volts has nothing to do with it.
Quote by Briyan_15

Uhm, not the greatest idea, but would work.

Here is what I suggest...
Remember that big white block shaped resistor you showed in another thread?

Use that
get 2 insulated alligator clips.
Get a piece of wire. 20 gauge is thick enough.
Connect like so: Alligator clip - Big resistor - wire - Alligator clip.
Insulate all connections.
Connect one alligator clip to ground
Look for terminal on capacitor that is not going to ground. If unsure, do it on each terminal, one at a time.
Connect other alligator clip there.
Wait a few minutes.

Caps discharged.
Continue working safely.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by CodeMonk
Uhm, not the greatest idea, but would work.

Here is what I suggest...
Remember that big white block shaped resistor you showed in another thread?

Use that
get 2 insulated alligator clips.
Get a piece of wire. 20 gauge is thick enough.
Connect like so: Alligator clip - Big resistor - wire - Alligator clip.
Insulate all connections.
Connect one alligator clip to ground
Look for terminal on capacitor that is not going to ground. If unsure, do it on each terminal, one at a time.
Connect other alligator clip there.
Wait a few minutes.

Caps discharged.
Continue working safely.

Oh really? That big white block resistor would work for that? Cool, that's good to know. Thanks.