Hey folks,

Im gunna be modding an amp soon, so i need to know, how do i discharge the caps safely so im not killed when i work on it?

Cheers!
Quick tip, as a lot of people use crocodile clips on their discharging tools. Clip the croc clips to two screwdrivers (with insulated handles) and press the tips of the screwdrivers against the cap and the ground, so you don't have to get your hands anywhere near a potentially deadly shock.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by Speckled_Hen
Quick tip, as a lot of people use crocodile clips on their discharging tools. Clip the croc clips to two screwdrivers (with insulated handles) and press the tips of the screwdrivers against the cap and the ground, so you don't have to get your hands anywhere near a potentially deadly shock.

This is not a good way to discharge. Using clips and screwdrivers alone is going to generate some big sparks and perhaps damage your filter caps or traces. You really need a resistor in the mix.

Alligator clips are great since you can make a little unit with two clips with a resistor in the middle, well insulated with electrical tape or shrink tubing. The resistor is necessary, though. Without it you're uncontrollably shorting out the caps.
I think he was saying that you add the alligator clips to the resistor setup.
And wouldn't it be safer to have one end have an alligator clip that you put on the ground then have a probe connected to something non-conductive like a chopstick that way you don't have to have you hand anywhere near the caps?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
1. get 2 insulated alligator clips.
2. Get a piece of wire. 20 gauge is thick enough.
3. Connect like so: Alligator clip - Big resistor (as suggested above, although as low as 20K - 5 Watt works well) - wire - Alligator clip.
4. Insulate all connections.
5. Connect one alligator clip to ground
6. Look for terminal on capacitor that is not going to ground. If unsure, do it on each terminal, one at a time.
7. Connect other alligator clip there.
8. Wait a few minutes.
9. Measure voltages.
10. If voltages are not in milli-volt range, go back to #6 and repeat.

Caps discharged.
Continue working safely.

Edit:

That post above, do that too.
Actually thats my setup.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 11, 2011,
To clarify, I did mean WITH the resistor. I meant it as an addition to what the guy above said. I just use the screwdrivers so my hand isn't right next to a power supply.

Sorry about wording it badly
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.