As the title says - can you put EMG pickups (81/85) into a direct mount body? Someone told me that you can't because you wouldn't be able to adjust the height and it wont work - true or false? I'd like to mention that I don't want to use rings or anything like that. The guitar is Charvel SanDimas.

Does it require any special tools or techniques or shall I just take it to the luthier? I'd like to do it myself if possible so I would be very glad for every response with some kind instructions

Thanks!
Depends on the depth of the pick up pocket and height of the pickup. You may or may not have to use a shim or carve the pocket out deeper. I wouldn't try it yourself if you've never done such work.
You can mount them without rings, put springs between the pickup and the body and you can adjust the height of the pickups.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
You can mount them without rings, put springs between the pickup and the body and you can adjust the height of the pickups.

This or foam. My Ibanez use foam under the pickups, it works like a spring, just less hassle. But I think you'll need some kind of wood screw that can both anchor into the body and thread through the pickup.
A spring? Metal?

Doesn't that affect magnetism from the pickup?
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
...Does it usually?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by Blurry 505
A spring? Metal?

Doesn't that affect magnetism from the pickup?

I guess every guitar that has a pickup mounted under rings or a pickguard is screwed then.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
Quote by W4RP1G
This or foam. My Ibanez use foam under the pickups, it works like a spring, just less hassle. But I think you'll need some kind of wood screw that can both anchor into the body and thread through the pickup.

No special screws required, you can use the regular pickup mounting screws. Just make sure that they're not too long or you could find yourself with screws coming through the back of your guitar