Hello,

First off, I read through the sticky threads before posting this and did a few searches.

I'm selling my drag car and I'd like to get a nice PRS with some of the funds from it. I'm torn between a 513 and Custom 24. I mostly play melodic metal but mix in cleaner jazz/bluesy solos so versatility is important.

I don't have the luxury of going out and testing both back to back because most stores around here don't even carry many PRSs in stock- just walls after walls of LPs.

Does anyone have any experience with both the C24 and 513 and can share their opinions? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I know Greg got a 513 and sold it to buy a C24.... He is the guy to ask.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I have played both, and I prefer the Custom over the 513. The pickups in the Cu24 are much better suited for what you want to do also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have played both, and I prefer the Custom over the 513. The pickups in the Cu24 are much better suited for what you want to do also.

Quote by Tom 1.0
I know Greg got a 513 and sold it to buy a C24.... He is the guy to ask.

Thanks guys! So far I'm definitely leaning towards the C24. Sounds like the 513 is better suited for blues-type music from what I'm learning. I've been watching a lot of Youtube reviews on both instruments and I have yet to see any metal-style 513 clips. The C24 is pretty well established in metal as it is.
C24, the guys in BTBAM use them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
C24, the guys in BTBAM use them.

Another vote for C24. Cool! Thanks man!
neither are my cup of tea...but i'd think for heavier stuff that'll transition well to jazz and softer stuff the c24 is a good bet.

the 513 is a great guitar...but you can't change out the pickups...i see it as more of a studio/gigging guitar where you already know you want to use it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Paul and Dusty from BTBAM use them, and Funeral for a Friend's old guitarist Darran used a Custom 24 as well. I think Jeff from The Dillinger Escape Plan uses a c24 as well, but I might be wrong on that.

Just thought I would give some examples. For your style I would definitely say c24.
wow cool. pics of the drag car? love those things.

the neck profile on the 513 is thicker than the CU24. that matters a lot to some players, i didn't find them different enough to bother me, ymmv.

tonewise is where the big difference is. it depends on the "blues" tone you are after.
the 513 has the same single coil tone positions of a strat, 5 way blade. if you like the pups that are in it, great. i thought they were good.

the humbucker positions on the 513 good in the vintage, not hot, setting. in the hot setting i thought they lacked clarity with an amp set for gain. which is where they should excel. that said, a lot of 513 fans would disagree with me.

in a nutshell, i thought the 513 did most things pretty good, but not great. speaking to it's tone.

but if you want a SRV neck and middle strat tone, the 513 does that, the custom 24 doesn't.

the custom 24 does 5 tones.

neck humbucker only
between the neck and middle warm (think warm strat)
singles in series (here's the blues tone i love, sort of that old vintagy p-90 type thing)
between the neck and middle bright (think bright strat)
full bore hot bridge bucker.

now the 513 has more tones, the CU24 has only 5 but does them better.

that's my take having owned them both.

also, the custom 24 that i play has the HFS/BASS pups. the current ones have 59/09s.

59/09s are a vintage LP type pup and are great pups, but i got a CU24 because i wanted the hot ceramic bridge pup. they are hot and clear, even with gobs of gain.

both will do blues to metal and like i said, if you want that neck/middle type blues srv tone the CU24 isn't going to do that. the 513 will. everything else, the CU24 is going to do it better.

are there any specific questions you have that i didn't hit?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^^^ pretty much sums it up.... except maybe one thing, though i may be wrong. i know in mine (about 3 months old) which has the 59/09's in it, that the positions are this way.

position one: bridge humbucker
position two: bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil
position three: bridge and neck humbuckers
position four: neck humbucker with bridge singlecoil
position five: neck humbucker

honestly, i would tell you to look at both the custom24, and the prs studio. i played the studio on a mesa and it got some good metal tones out of it, so that could be an alternate choice for you. however, i would not really recommend the 513. i'd have to either say, get the cu24, or the studio.

the studio imo is just as good at metal (but maybe not super thrash death metal, but melodic metal it would be perfect... at least to me), but it also has some really cool sweet vibe tones going on as well.
Quote by 00_hns_00
^^^ pretty much sums it up.... except maybe one thing, though i may be wrong. i know in mine (about 3 months old) which has the 59/09's in it, that the positions are this way.

i was just listing the tones the cu24 does. i don't think i said they were in that order. i'm just glad i remember what they are.

they aren't specified as humbucker/single on the papers that my CU24 came with. mine's a '97, they were probably more secretive about it back then.

but i do know that my middle position on the rotary is singles in series wiring and not both buckers, so they must have changed the wiring a bit based on what you list. (being different from mine in at least the center position.) where as position 2 and 4 are described differently but could be the same wiring.
Quote by gregs1020
wow cool. pics of the drag car? love those things.

the neck profile on the 513 is thicker than the CU24. that matters a lot to some players, i didn't find them different enough to bother me, ymmv.

tonewise is where the big difference is. it depends on the "blues" tone you are after.
the 513 has the same single coil tone positions of a strat, 5 way blade. if you like the pups that are in it, great. i thought they were good.

the humbucker positions on the 513 good in the vintage, not hot, setting. in the hot setting i thought they lacked clarity with an amp set for gain. which is where they should excel. that said, a lot of 513 fans would disagree with me.

in a nutshell, i thought the 513 did most things pretty good, but not great. speaking to it's tone.

but if you want a SRV neck and middle strat tone, the 513 does that, the custom 24 doesn't.

the custom 24 does 5 tones.

neck humbucker only
between the neck and middle warm (think warm strat)
singles in series (here's the blues tone i love, sort of that old vintagy p-90 type thing)
between the neck and middle bright (think bright strat)
full bore hot bridge bucker.

now the 513 has more tones, the CU24 has only 5 but does them better.

that's my take having owned them both.

also, the custom 24 that i play has the HFS/BASS pups. the current ones have 59/09s.

59/09s are a vintage LP type pup and are great pups, but i got a CU24 because i wanted the hot ceramic bridge pup. they are hot and clear, even with gobs of gain.

both will do blues to metal and like i said, if you want that neck/middle type blues srv tone the CU24 isn't going to do that. the 513 will. everything else, the CU24 is going to do it better.

are there any specific questions you have that i didn't hit?

Wow! Thank you for the insightful write up!! I think my mind is set on the CU24 now.

Oh, and here's a pic of the car I'm selling:

It's a 91mm turbo Mustang built for 8s. I moved recently and couldn't bring it with me so I had to store it until I could sell it.
Quote by gregs1020
i was just listing the tones the cu24 does. i don't think i said they were in that order. i'm just glad i remember what they are.

they aren't specified as humbucker/single on the papers that my CU24 came with. mine's a '97, they were probably more secretive about it back then.

but i do know that my middle position on the rotary is singles in series wiring and not both buckers, so they must have changed the wiring a bit based on what you list. (being different from mine in at least the center position.) where as position 2 and 4 are described differently but could be the same wiring.

yeah, they actually did change the tones then. because i just checked to be sure, position 3 is definitely both pickups humming.

with that said, i love positions 2,3, and 4. such great tones.
^ yea i heard they hadn't but that's proof they did change them.

which is cool because now mine is out of production.

also, that mustang... damn. good luck with the sale.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 11, 2011,
Thanks again guys!

Quote by 00_hns_00
output? torque?

mile time?

i may actually be interested.. haha.

Haha you might laugh, but I'm not sure. We broke in the motor on the dyno with a very conservative tune, lowest boost possible, and didn't rev up higher than 5000. I needed to get the ignition taken care of and I never brought it back to the dyno after I upgraded to MSD.

The shortblock is built for over 2000hp and the turbo is rated to 1750. I had hoped to see 1200hp out of it realistically. I put around $50k into it and never even got to run it on the track or even give it full throttle after it was built.

I know it's kinda off-topic, but there's where I'm selling it:
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382714

$17k is the current asking price, and it's a steal.
how long did you take the break in time for?

i know many a dragsters whom get cracked blocks super easy cause they didn't break in right.
Quote by gregs1020
^ yea i heard they hadn't but that's proof they did change them.

which is cool because now mine is out of production.

also, that mustang... damn. good luck with the sale.

haha, nice. wanna trade?

lol, jk :P t'was a gift. can't get rid of gifts
Quote by 00_hns_00
how long did you take the break in time for?

i know many a dragsters whom get cracked blocks super easy cause they didn't break in right.

Oh we broke it in well.

3x 50% throttle to 3000rpms, 3x 75% throttle to 4500rpms, 3x 100% throttle to 6000rpms. Oil change. Those rings are well seated.

That was the original break-in recipe. After that we built up the turbo kit and that's when we couldn't complete the dyno session.
that's serious balls.

wow.

i stick to 60s/70s muscle cars with about 500hp/500 lb/ft torque.

i'd probably kill myself in that thing in a week.
Quote by gregs1020
that's serious balls.

wow.

i stick to 60s/70s muscle cars with about 500hp/500 lb/ft torque.

i'd probably kill myself in that thing in a week.

If I could do it all over, I'd probably go your route. Racing is expensive and you don't get a good return on investment. 60s/70s musclecars keep their value better.

Hey, just out of curiosity can you get much of a Telecaster-ish tingy tone out of the Custom 24? More for highly-driven clean solos like John 5.

I was actually looking at a high-end Telecaster before I figured I might as well go for a PRS. I learned my lesson about getting what you pay for before, and I figured going high-end American in either a Tele, 513, or CU24 would be a wise investment.

Speaking of things holding their value, it looks like guitars do that quite well. Combing Craiglist I'm finding later '90s PRSs that still go for $2000+ in mint condition.
i'm not a john 5 fan so i can't really say on that. but his sig tele isn't really an average tele so you'd have to check his pups to see how they compare to the 59/09s.

these would be your options, i copied from 00's post above.

they do hold their value quite well. the older used CU24s (like mine) have dropped, i see them for around $1500-1700 pretty regularly. the newer models like 00s and ragingkittys are in higher demand right now.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm not a john 5 fan so i can't really say on that. but his sig tele isn't really an average tele so you'd have to check his pups to see how they compare to the 59/09s.

these would be your options, i copied from 00's post above.

they do hold their value quite well. the older used CU24s (like mine) have dropped, i see them for around $1500-1700 pretty regularly. the newer models like 00s and ragingkittys are in higher demand right now.

Nice! Thanks again for the very detailed info you guys have given me!!!

You're right- John 5's sig Tele uses triple humbuckers but I'm unsure on the output.
IDK about john 5 tele sounds, but my McCarty with the coil tap in the middle position sounds exactly like my room mate's tele in the neck position. I would assume the Custom 24 could pull off a tele sound even better seeing as it's thinner and brighter(i think) pickups.
Cu24 can nail metal no problem IMO
Cu24 can do jazzy stuff fine
Cu24 can prolly do blues no problem too ( i dont know, havent really tried)

Id just get the Cu24 because it has 2 humbuckers that can split as a posed to 5 single coils arranged in HSH.

the coil taps are also very convincing.

another thing to note: the Cu24 has 24 frets, this means the neck pickup is moved slightly towards the bridge, meaning the neck pickup will always be a bit more clear and articulate than the same guitar with 22 frets.
I ended up buying a CU24 yesterday. UPS says it should be here tomorrow.
Ok... Got it in yesterday. I'm very happy with it. Not only does it look stunning but it sounds excellent and stays in tune wonderfully. That new V12 finish has an interesting feel. For a high-gloss finish it's not "glassy" and sticky like you'd think; it feels more polished and is excellent all around.
Quote by thehikingdude
Congrats! Looking forward to pics. I love the V12 finish on my SC-58!!!

Thanks! It plays like butter (never quite understood why people draw that comparison, but we all know what it means... Maybe because butter is smooth?)

http://i55.tinypic.com/e7x7rt.jpg
Thanks guys!! I love playing it. I actually enjoy playing bluesy/jazzy stuff on it more so than metal, but those pickups sound GREAT on a Powerball.
Quote by Seanthesheep
damn dude, you make me want to go put my cu24 on layaway right now

Honestly, I am SO glad these guys convinced me to go this route. If you get one, go through Guitar Center or Musician's Friend. I had a coupon that I never used and they actually gave me a better deal.

This thing plays nice. I'm having more fun playing on cleaner channels than metal, which is very weird. I haven't touched my other guitars since, and if they were sentient I bet they'd be crying right now.

I always felt buyer's remorse with a lot of stuff, but not this. Definitely not.

Get one!!