What are everyone's opinions on signature guitars? I was looking at the LTD Snakebyte, and it made me think. Are signature models just regular models with £XXX added because of a name, or are they actually valid as a purchase? What do all you guys think?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
I would take an EX400 over a snake bite, really didnt like the one I played....

I like the ones with features that you cant otherwise find anywhere else. Hence the fact I have now owned 2. I still have one and I adore it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Depends on the guitar in question. They're all going to be more expensive than they would be without that signature on the headstock. I wouldn't buy one that is very similar to a regular production model because of that, but I've got no problem with sig models that are significantly different from standard, like Jackson's Phil Demmel, Mark Morton and Chris Broderick models. They've got unique body styles that you can't get in the rest of the range.

On the other hand, I just don't see the point in the thousands of different signature strats you can buy.
A lot of them have a different pickup set or different looking hardware (material/color) and a spiffy paint job. So that's what you pay for, you should be able to get the same/similar sound out of the base model (+upgrades, if you like).

There are some that might use a more expensive wood for the body/fingerboard etc that may jack the price up as well but that might be more common in acoustic models.
Personally, I avoid them. There are some that have feasible, functional differences such as the Alex Lifeson LP and Jeff Loomis C7. There are others that are simply colored different or have a "road worn" look that I've never quite understood paying extra for.

Look at the differences in the specifications and compare them that way. Never buy a guitar just because it looks like the one so-n-so uses in X band.

Compare Functional vs Aesthetic attributes and weigh it out that way.
Depends on the brand.

Some companies like to rebrand some of their more popular models with an Artist Signature for the extra cash. The one that comes to mind is Gibson, where practically all of their high-end guitars are basically just '59 Copies with different artist names on the headstock (show me the difference between This, This , This and this).

Other companies use Signature Models to introduce different finishes, pickups and features in small batches that wouldn't necessarily be as popular if they're just place on Standard production models.

basically the way to tell is to see if you can get the exact same guitar without the artist name one it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I think they're a good way to get good features for cheap.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I had an LTD JH-600, the Jeff Hanneman model. I didn't care for the guitar that much. It was really heavy and I didn't like the FR.

My overall opinion of Signature models... I don't really want someone else's guitar. I'd rather have my own custom guitar made to my specs. A lot of people seem to like Sig models, but I feel like I'd be copying or wanting to be that particular artist or something. I'd rather have my own custom or just a regular ESP or LTD model. Just my opinion.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by TH3M B0N3Z
I had an LTD JH-600, the Jeff Hanneman model. I didn't care for the guitar that much. It was really heavy and I didn't like the FR.

My overall opinion of Signature models... I don't really want someone else's guitar. I'd rather have my own custom guitar made to my specs. A lot of people seem to like Sig models, but I feel like I'd be copying or wanting to be that particular artist or something. I'd rather have my own custom or just a regular ESP or LTD model. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I was thinking this. I already play a lot of Metallica, and if I got the Snakebyte I think it might feel like I'm pretending to be Hetfield. But if I could get that body shape as a non signature model, I'd be very happy.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
If you judge them purely by their features, they aren't always good value for money. However, some of them offer certain combinations of features that you wouldn't find on stock guitars, which makes them appealing. On the other hand, it might sometimes be cheaper to buy a stock guitar and replace a few parts to get the same result.
sometimes I feel very proud when I think thay I am an owner of signature guiter
Most sig guitars are over-priced versions of a cheaper guitar with a diffrent paint job.
The Tremonti SE and Mark morton are about the only sig guitars that are worth what you pay.
And the Tremonti SE is one of the cheapest PRS models you can buy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Most sig guitars are over-priced versions of a cheaper guitar with a diffrent paint job.
The Tremonti SE and Mark morton are about the only sig guitars that are worth what you pay.
And the Tremonti SE is one of the cheapest PRS models you can buy.

I'd have to add the Music Man signature guitars. Most of them are very much reflections of what the particular guitarist thinks is the perfect guitar. This is especially true of the John Petrucci series, which has undergone an overhaul in the last few years.

Sadly, most sigs are dressed-up versions of stock guitars. About the only substantive difference on a number of them is that they are the only version of that particular model with an ebony fretboard. I lot of pros like ebony; so much so that Schecter and B.C. Rich are offering it on a lot more guitars these days (Hint! Hint! F%cking Ibanez! Hint!)
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by FatalGear41
...lot of pros like ebony; so much so that Schecter and B.C. Rich are offering it on a lot more guitars these days (Hint! Hint! F%cking Ibanez! Hint!)

*sigh* If only...

That said, I have an Ibanez Joe Satriani sig (JS1000) and it is one of the most amazing guitars I have ever played.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀