OK guys, I sure you have seen this thread a million times, but I really didn't know who else to ask.

So, I've been practicing some Avenged Sevenfold, Protest the Hero songs, and other stuff like that, but it's like I have hit a wall with my alternate picking. I can play the songs perfectly at slower speeds , think 16th notes at 100-110 BPM, but I can't go any faster.

I drill the passages every day but I can't seem to get past that point. I just don't know what kinds of practicing techniques I can do to improve. It's really frustrating.

Thanks.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Are you relaxed? Are your movements as small as possible? Tighteness and flailing fingers will hinder any chance you have at pretty real fast.

Someone on here talked about a burst exercise a while back:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467013&page=1&pp=20

^ Go to post #6; Geldin explains the bursting exercise.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
Are you relaxed? Are your movements as small as possible? Tighteness and flailing fingers will hinder any chance you have at pretty real fast.

Someone on here talked about a burst exercise a while back:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467013&page=1&pp=20

^ Go to post #6; Geldin explains the bursting exercise.

Thanks for the response. THat actually sounds pretty good. At this point, it wouldn't surprise if it was mental. It's like, I learn a song and keep increasing the speed, and then whenever I get with in 10-20 BPM (or less) of the final speed I completely fall apart.

I have a guitar teacher (who is amazing on the guitar) and he said my technique was good so I will definitely try what you posted.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
try the solo to "daddy brother lover little boy" by mr big, it has some 16th notes runs at pretty high speed. practice it slow with a metronome, thats what i do and it definitely helped me develop more control speed and accuracy to my alternate picking.
it will also improve your timing because there are a couple of 5s in there as well.
Quote by tappooh
try the solo to "daddy brother lover little boy" by mr big, it has some 16th notes runs at pretty high speed. practice it slow with a metronome, thats what i do and it definitely helped me develop more control speed and accuracy to my alternate picking.
it will also improve your timing because there are a couple of 5s in there as well.

Thanks for the reply. I like that solo. I will definitely try that.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
OK guys, I sure you have seen this thread a million times, but I really didn't know who else to ask.

So, I've been practicing some Avenged Sevenfold, Protest the Hero songs, and other stuff like that, but it's like I have hit a wall with my alternate picking. I can play the songs perfectly at slower speeds , think 16th notes at 100-110 BPM, but I can't go any faster.

I drill the passages every day but I can't seem to get past that point. I just don't know what kinds of practicing techniques I can do to improve. It's really frustrating.

Thanks.

Alternate picking is, in my opinion, the most difficult technique to master and it's where it seems like most people seem to hit "walls" in their playing.

What do you mean by drilling a passage? When I practice, I've found the best way to learn a complicated passage like you'd see in a Protest the Hero song is to take a program like Tux Guitar or Guitar Pro, select the specific measures, then set the program to start slowly and gradually increase speed. Tux Guitar has a metronome option (I believe Guitar Pro has it, too, but I'm not certain about that one) to help you keep time as the tempo increases.

Another thing is to take the bursting idea that soviet_ska referenced and apply it. Set the tempo to be too fast for you to keep up and then try to play along. Then begin slowing down gradually as opposed to speeding up. That gets you used to playing more rapidly and helps to break down any mental speed barriers.
Quote by Geldin
Alternate picking is, in my opinion, the most difficult technique to master and it's where it seems like most people seem to hit "walls" in their playing.

What do you mean by drilling a passage? When I practice, I've found the best way to learn a complicated passage like you'd see in a Protest the Hero song is to take a program like Tux Guitar or Guitar Pro, select the specific measures, then set the program to start slowly and gradually increase speed. Tux Guitar has a metronome option (I believe Guitar Pro has it, too, but I'm not certain about that one) to help you keep time as the tempo increases.

Another thing is to take the bursting idea that soviet_ska referenced and apply it. Set the tempo to be too fast for you to keep up and then try to play along. Then begin slowing down gradually as opposed to speeding up. That gets you used to playing more rapidly and helps to break down any mental speed barriers.

Yea. I use tux guitar. I usually start slowly then as I practice I increase the speed like you said. Will definitely try all the techniques that everyone mentioned.

Thanks for the replies guys.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Keep playing slow until you can get it faster.

Play it to a metronome, are you sure you can play it perfectly slow?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"