My local music has 3 used Japanese Strat's, 1 1998 reissue, and 2 floyds 1988 & '86. Love the way the '86 floyd plays, but not sure how much it is really worth? Any input on how much the 3 are realistically worth would be much appreciated.
It really depends on the condition (playability/neck/frets, finish/appearance, etc.). I have a close to mint MIJ Fender Strat with the LFR (pretty stable, so far) and I scored it for a ridiculous price. So, factor in Luck, too. I say $400 to $700 is a nice range.

When you say Floyd you must be talking about a contemporary stratocaster or HM strat. Does the headstock look normal or different?

Either way, both are worth about $350-$650
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
plus to remember that if they are in decent condition then they might appreciate in value too so would also be a good investment should you choose to upgrade later
Quote by Campestral
plus to remember that if they are in decent condition then they might appreciate in value too so would also be a good investment should you choose to upgrade later

Are Japanese strats become a collectors item or something?
oh wait i was thinking of 1980's japanese squiers sorry. i think the japanese fenders might hold their value though, wasn't the 1980s a vintage time for japanese guitars?

still though i'm not sure so thanks for raising the point
That 1986 Strat... could that possibly be a Dan Smith Stratocaster?

EDIT: That was 82/83. silly me. Anywho, read the posts above. They're probably worth around $600.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by W4RP1G
Are Japanese strats become a collectors item or something?
The MIJ Strats that collectors crave and sometimes pay as much as Custom Shop Fenders are the MIJ Squier JV or Japan Vintage series from '82 to '83. The serial numbers are prefixed by what else, JV.

Next are the MIJ Squiers from the SQ series with serial numbers beginning with SQ. The succeeding MIJ Squiers are also pretty good but by that time, the MIJ Fenders were already in production.

Early JV Decal

JV trem block

JV Tele bridge

Awesome, that's some good info to have. I'm going to keep an eye out now
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'd jump on any kind of MIJ Strat like white on ice.

i see them all the time for ~$400 ish on clist. i got mine for about that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I never see any on Craigslist around here, they have crap on Craigslist here in Austin, it sucks, being the Musical capital of Texas.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/2538404151.html brad paisly sig mij strat. the seller is on crack wth the price though, these were like $800 new. my bud has the tele.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/2535206796.html here you go, he's asking $475. offer up $400 if it plays nice etc. mid 80's mij strat.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/2511359304.html here's one for $300. assuming the seller is correct. you'd have to verify it.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/2465050698.html same guy as the first ad, he lists 2 here in one ad, one is a squier with a 70's style headstock.

they are out there all the time.
Oh, Greg, let the guy be, haha.

Also, that paisley is simply a limited custom edition. Brad Paisley doesn't have a signature. I know because I have pink/paisley guitar MIJ from 1993. They're collectable as hell, I've found. Bought mine for $600 last year, and they're already up to $800 in resale.
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster
Oh, Greg, let the guy be, haha.

Also, that paisley is simply a limited custom edition. Brad Paisley doesn't have a signature. I know because I have pink/paisley guitar MIJ from 1993. They're collectable as hell, I've found. Bought mine for $600 last year, and they're already up to $800 in resale.

my bud jorge has his tele, same finish, mij etc, so i figured it was a sig strat.

he paid $800 new for the tele in a san antionio shop a few years ago. damn nice tele honestly, plus it's pink so. it may have been on closeout or watevah.

let the guy be? let the guy BE?

wouldn't be doing my job...
Tell your buddy to hold on to it. Like I said, in the last year the value of mine went up about $200. Those paisley's are relatively rare.

I might think about selling mine if it didn't play so damned well.

EDIT: Oh my lord....

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=fender+paisley&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I bought a goldmine. $600 to $1,100 is a bit of a difference!
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 12, 2011,
Lots of misconceptions in this thread. The only MIJ guitars that will be collectors are non-import guitars (guitars made in Japan which will stay indignious to Japan)

The import versions, like my strat in my sig, which was made in Japan but was made to be imported to the US is a lot lesser quality and value.

MIJ imports - $400-$600
MIJ Indigenous - $600-$1000 and steadily rising
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)