I work at my university's recording studio and when it was first built a few years ago, some asshat decided that it would be good to have 2 marshall jvm 410h's, two sets of drum mics, and various other unnecessary things. (not that the jvm is a bad amp, but 100w in a small studio is tough. Especially when there's no speaker cables. Fortunately no one had ever used them before I brought this to their attention.)

Anyways, there's a potential that we'll be selling this stuff off soon, which means that I might get to spend about 4000 USD of other people's money. I'm thinking a couple more appropriately sized amps, maybe an Orange and a Fender, maybe a drumset for the studio...

Any suggestions?
A Vox, A Fender and an amp (or more) with a good heavey sound (Marshall, Bad Cat, Orange etc...) would be a treat.

I'd go used to...

EDIT:
A few amps to consider:
Vox AC
Fender Blues Junior
Orange Tiny Terror
Blackstar HT
Jet City

etc...
Not sure what wattage/volume you had in mind?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Aug 11, 2011,
Studio?
I'd say dont limit yourself to one or two tones.
For about a grand, you should get an Eleven Rack, and an SS/Tube poweramp.
Another grand should fetch other stuff like a drumkit etc.

Or if you REALLY want to go overboard, an Axe Fx or a used Mesa Roadster should do the trick for 2 grands, leaving enough for monitors and drumkit.
Also I'd get a Shure SM57 (or whatever one it is every studio apparently needs)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Also I'd get a Shure SM57 (or whatever one it is every studio apparently needs)

Believe it or not, as a functioning studio we do actually already have a couple...

And most people bring in their own amps, the idea is just to have a small selection of quality amps in case the band can't bring their own.

TO BE CLEAR: This is a functioning studio I'm talking about. We have mics and monitors and mixers and everything a studio needs. I'm really just looking for some ideas for amps to replace the ridiculously overpowered ones they originally bought.
Last edited by saint22 at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by saint22
Believe it or not, as a functioning studio we do actually already have a couple...

And most people bring in their own amps, the idea is just to have a small selection of quality amps in case the band can't bring their own.

What sort of people normally come? Theres no point buying something like a Mark IV if you have AC DC type guys coming.

Give us some common genres.

If its a wide cross section, grab a high end modeller like an 11R or an Axe.
Do you just need guitar gear or anything?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
a Marshall JCM DSL 50?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
a Marshall JCM DSL 50?

Not a real amp...

Look into buying some nice mic preamps (I couldn't tell you where to begin, sorry). Also, since tou have 2 JVMs, sell one and spend some money on an American voiced amp. Go with a Mark V just for the hell of it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by saint22
http://duc.wustl.edu/resources/Pages/RecordingStudio.aspx

this link shows a partial list of what we have. At the bottom are some samples of some of the things that have been recorded.

Youve already got just about everything except the amp (not counting the JVMS).

My two cents- 2 grands on Axe Fx Standard/1G on 11R
One grand on a Mesa Recto
500 dollars on a 5150
500 on a Fender Deville.

Youre set.

EDIT: No metal clips

Vox Night Train/AC15, Fender Deville, Marshall JCM800, Axe Fx, Recto.
Enough badassery.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 11, 2011,
Bass gear would seem important too.

And get a glockenspiel. Every studio needs a glockenspiel, they just don't know it.

But definitely a drum set too.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
if you are only using studio why not buy a tube power amp and then various brands preamps and have a very versatile guitar set up
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
take a serious look at an Egnater Renegade head.

65w / 18w selector
2 independent channels with vol/gain/master/eq/verb
takes all kinds of power tubes (really makes channel switching fun)
similar to a Roadking in that regard but only $999
PS: Yes, Fender cleans.

Also - I'd sell the JVMs if you didn't already state that
Quote by LaidBack
Bass gear would seem important too.

Any time I've recorded, they just has a really nice DI and then a beat-up old peavey combo
An SVT seems like overkill for the studio, but maybe an ampeg v4 or even an old bassman or traynor.
get an orange rocker 30 as well as a schecter solo spitfire, assuming your a guitarist of course
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
I'd say a Fender Deluxe Reverb would be a classic studio amp.
311 already mentioned Egnater, that's a great idea, no matter if Renegade or Rebel.
A 6505 for the highgain tones maybe (it's high-wattage though).
Quote by ethan_hanus
PRS Dallas(great blues amp)
Mesa Mark IV or V
Cornford Roadhouse 30
Vox AC30 (the handwired one)
Fender Twin Reverb
Roland Jazz Chours 120
Marshall Plexi?

He wants more reasonable amps than a JVM for a smaller studio and you recommend stuff like Twins and Plexis?
Quote by JesusCrisp
He wants more reasonable amps than a JVM for a smaller studio and you recommend stuff like Twins and Plexis?

They make smaller twins. And you could run the Plexi though a 2x12. I would hope a speaker cable would be in his budget too, they are rather cheap.
Get an Axe-Fx II. The versatility of that thing is incredible and easy enough for anyone to use
NOPE
Quote by ethan_hanus
They make smaller twins. And you could run the Plexi though a 2x12. I would hope a speaker cable would be in his budget too, they are rather cheap.

Won't a Plexi be a bit too loud if you crank it up to break-up volumes?
I think it's not so much about the cab size, but more about volume.
Mesa Dual Rectifier. Covers a lot of ground on it's own, and has pretty common/ sought after tone. Great and versatile for different types of metal/ hard rock, as well as good crunch and cleans.

Marshall DSL50. Also covers a fair bit of ground, can get a fairly wide variety of tones, and is pretty good at blues - rock.

Peavey Classic. Good vox esque tones for pretty cheap.

Not too sure about a good clean amp. Maybe a Roland JC of some sort, or maybe a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Also probably get a Marshall 1960 cab. Pretty common, would work the best with the Mesa and Marshall.

I suggested mostly big name amps/ popular models because a lot of people can be douchebags and not want to use something that doesn't have a "Marshall" or "Fender" logo. I think you'd be able to please the most amount of people with this setup, or a similar one.

Not likely, but if you have any spare cash after that, a 5150 head would also be good to have around. Everything would be bought used of course.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 11, 2011,
Please, if you're going Fender for cleans (and, rightfully, you should) you shouldn't be going Blues Juniors and Devilles. Get a Super-Sonic or a Deluxe (preferably the Reissue if going new, as opposed to the Hot Rod).

Plus, don't forget the Bass players. Be sure to pick up a decent Ampeg or Markbass head (well, maybe not the Markbass, they're ****ing expensive) with at least one 4X10 Cab and one 1X15 Cab.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot, get a couple of Pro Juniors or a pair of some other <15W amp. Stereo rigs can get some of the coolest tones, especially with a Wet/Dry mix.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Aug 11, 2011,
I would advise against a modeler, they will not teach you how to mic an amp, but produce the tones for you. In a university setting, I'm assuming you are teaching them recording, so definately a nice amp head like an orange and some small fenders or vox amps, witha few cabinets would get you started.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
I would advise against a modeler, they will not teach you how to mic an amp, but produce the tones for you. In a university setting, I'm assuming you are teaching them recording, so definately a nice amp head like an orange and some small fenders or vox amps, witha few cabinets would get you started.

From the link he posted, it seems to be a regular pro recording studio for students and non students to use they even charge you for it. 20 for students, 80 an hour for non.
I still disagree. A uni's recording studio is primarily for one to learn studio techniques, the modeler will skip all the cool things you can do analog, dual mics, dual cab, double tracking, and turn it into a button or a mouse click.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
It is a pro studio. It's partially run by students. Which is where I come in. This is an extracurricular for me, I'm a Systems Science/Econ major who just likes recording. So i work there in my spare time. Awesome way to make a few bucks.

And I'm not really interested in modelers.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone, continue to throw them out there. We're really working on expanding our client base so hopefully I'll be able to report back in a few months with some recordings. And if you're in St. Louis, our rates are better than anyone, set up a time to come check us out. (mods, let me know if that last sentence counts as prohibited advertising and I'll get rid of it)