Hey guys, not sure if many have had experience with this amp. It gets a bad rep for being cheaply made....and I agree. Mine has broken 2x in the year that I've had it. I would scrap it.....but I honestly like the tone. It evens out my super mid-scooped 6505 and together they create an excellent sound for the type of music I play, so I want to keep it alive.

Anyways the problem. The amp, when you turn up the master volume......its really quiet. I mean when its up to half, my 6505 is beating it at 1.5 on post gain. The Madison has always been quieter but this is ridiculous. also, once the volume gets turned past half it goes DOWN and it starts to get very muddy and dull. Like someone turned the presence from 10 to 0.

So I'm wondering.....is this a major problem? Possibly a transformer? Or could it be just a bad preamp tube? I swapped the power tubes from my 6505 in and it still did the same exact thing so its not a power tube. At least I'd imagine.

anyone have any ideas?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Do a full tube swap. Couldn't hurt.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
as in...take all the tubes from the other amp and swap into the Madison?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Not necessarily...you could do that with the preamps first to diagnose if it is a preamp tube problem. But an easier way of doing that is to just tap on preamp tubes (while the amp is on) with the eraser of the pencil. If you hear loud noise, the tube has been compromised.

As for the volume issues, I say it sounds like power tubes, even though you said you swapped them already. Give the preamps a swap though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
So I swapped out all the tubes, preamp and power. None of the preamps were microphonic. One was not working at all but even after replacement it still did not fix my problem.

Upon inspection of the power tubed with the amp on, I noticed some of the power tubes had blue glowing rings on the sides when the master volume was turned up 3/4 or higher. One of them did not do this. Does this indicate any sort of problem?

I believe my problem lies somewhere within the electronics board of the amp unfortunately

any chance i have a bad transformer or cap?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505