So, here's my situation.
I'm 16 years old, two years away from going to university... I play guitar, drums, keyboards, and I do jam out on my friend's bass a few times a month, and I am good, if I might say so. I have over two dozen songs written, lyrics and all. There's nothing I can imagine myself doing in life other than being a musician. However, my parents have decided that I am to go to university, go through for my masters in business, and get a high-ranking desk job. I already have about 15 grand saved up for university, but I'd rather just take it and "invest in myself", buy some recording equipment, a van, get a band together, and be a musician. So I have to choose between going to university for a shit job that I don't want, or take the chance and be a musician. And I'm clueless.
Can't you go to university and be in a band?

And a few years down the road give your parents the finger. But get an education first just incase you actually aren't good.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
There's a difference between going to Uni and getting a desk job. I say go to Uni, and learn some ussefull stuff. And then see what you want to do with your life. You'r 16, you'll think very differently in 3 years

P.s. Logic may seem off in this post, just got back from the pub.
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

do both
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Go to school, I just spent the summer doing hard labor that you do if you don't go to school. So, go to school.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
How the hell did you save £15,000? It's always good to have a back-up plan, don't be stupid go study.
I Like Deathcore, Deal With It!
how about getting a double major in music

edit: also, if u get "a shit job" and make good money. whats stopping u from having a band in the mean time. there are more than 8 hours in a day you know.
Last edited by ironman1478 at Aug 11, 2011,
go get your uni degree but just dont go for a masters. plus, uni is the easiest place alive to preform music and get good with interacting with a crowd / playing live. also meeting other musicians and starting bands.

but again as for the masters in business, tell um to go **** themselves
Quote by bradulator

And a few years down the road give your parents the finger. But get an education first just incase you actually aren't good.

qft

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

do your business stuff, get qualified, go back and study music, see what happens.

That's what I'm doing
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
DON'T RUSH INTO ANYTHING.

Here's my advice. Keep practising, keep playing, keep exploring your music. In two years your writing style might have totally evolved. Go to college, keep jamming and writing songs. Write write write. In college gain some life experience, make friends, girlfriends, love, lose, write songs songs songs.

When you've got your degree, you'll be a completely different person. More rounded, educated, experienced, older and wiser. And a much better songwriter and musician.

Then you hit the music business hard and change the world. You'll be less likely to fail as you'll be older and steadier and after all that practice, yuo'll be a damn fine musician. Don't rush!! There are guys who don't become famous til they're in their thirties. If you run into it you're more likely to fail and then you'll have nothing.
it's not like you cant pursue music while studying for something else!

im planning to study music post secondary, but my originaal plan was to go into commerce or studying economy and blah blah blah, but im just too shitty at math (and im chinese o.O), ive really got no hope in that respect

i would also want to study to become a fitness trainer actually...
It's more likely you will find your 'band mates to be' at Uni, you will mingle with loads of like minded and also open people who will probably broaden your horizons and it also gives you the prime opportunity to showcase you're self labelled 'good' musicianship.

Go to uni. Remember that the music industry is a business so what your parents are suggesting isn't exactly the dumbest thing in the world.
Go to school and have a band at the same time? You always have to have a fallback plan, the music business is harder to get into than you think, just because you're good doesn't mean the moment you release a song you're going to make it big. You might never make it as a musician. But at least this way if you dont, you still have a job that can support your life. Nothing is stopping you from making music, you can still make it big and go to college
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Quote by Icarus Lives

Here's my advice. Keep practising, keep playing, keep exploring your music. In two years your writing style might have totally evolved. Go to college, keep jamming and writing songs. Write write write. In college gain some life experience, make friends, girlfriends, love, lose, write songs songs songs.

When you've got your degree, you'll be a completely different person. More rounded, educated, experienced, older and wiser. And a much better songwriter and musician.

Then you hit the music business hard and change the world. You'll be less likely to fail as you'll be older and steadier and after all that practice, you'll be a damn fine musician. Don't rush!! There are guys who don't become famous til they're in their thirties. If you run into it you're more likely to fail and then you'll have nothing.

/thread. Also TS, remember, your parents are probably just looking out for you. Every person who tried at a high-up desk job is generally more successful/wealthy than an aspiring musician, when you look at the attempt:success ratios. By all means, follow your dreams, but have a back-up.
Quote by Icarus Lives

Then you hit the music business hard and change the world. You'll be less likely to fail as you'll be older and steadier and after all that practice, yuo'll be a damn fine musician. Don't rush!! There are guys who don't become famous til they're in their thirties. If you run into it you're more likely to fail and then you'll have nothing.

Pretty much this. I mean, really, just because you'll be in school and eventually working a job doesn't mean you won't have time for music. Hell, I thought my job would be the death of music in my life and all it's done to this point is help me fund it. I'm writing better music now than I ever wrote before and I'm actually playing guitar like I have a general idea what I'm doing.
You can have 15k to spend now (you'll blow through that pretty quickly) or you can study, get a good paying job, and have more money for music.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I just wanna know how you saved up 15 grand by sixteen
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Do both its not like your dream fades just by going to Uni. Also if you don't want to do a business degree that is fine too, look for something else if you want. In a couple of years your perspective of life might change and the things people have posted will make sense.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
go to school, and pursue music simultaneously.

a lot of great bands meet/form in college; the Pixies, Talking Heads, MGMT, etc.
so i wouldn't say that you'd have to give up one for the other. i'd say that actually your musical ambitions and your entering into college could go together quite conveniently.

also, time; in two years when you are college age/enter college your perspective, views, outlooks, goals, ambitions, aspirations, opinions, thinking, and personal philosophy will change dramatically. who knows what kind of life changing experiences you will have in between now and when you are of college age?

so i would suggest doing both. if you don't have very good gear, but are really passionate about music, then perhaps spend a little of your money on a good guitar/amp or whatever so that people can see your serious and when the moment comes you have decent equipment to start something.

so keep practising, and DEFINITELY keep writing. your writing style will greatly change, as well as your listening [who, and what] you will be in a perpetual state of evolution as an artist, so it would not be wise to make anything quite concrete until the time is much closer.

i felt very much the same way as you do now, and still do. however i [personally] am choosing to go to college and try and start something there.

i give you much encouragement, respect, and regards. i wish you luck and i hope this post has helped you a bit.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
I would say that college is a great place to start a band.
The only problem is that you might not be able to play loud as **** or anything, but what the hell.
OH HELL YES METALCORE
I know I'm going to college for some sort of music degree, whether it be business/industry, composition, whatever. But I have a fledgeling band at the moment, and I'm going to keep working on everything music wise since that's what I want to do. And when I get out of college, I'll hopefully have some sort of steady job doing SOMEthing related to music, which I could enjoy.

It's not like if you're 22 and haven't toured and recorded albums yet then you're a failure. It takes time. And if you go to uni and get a steady job, while writing and getting better at music, then you may end up being a professional musician. Maybe not the biggest in the world, but you could get by. Then you won't have to worry about that boring desk job.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I had this problem when I was about 13. My dream was to be a famous rock star. Now, I am 18 and I have long since given up on that dream. If this was the 80's or 90's, I'd say you'd have a chance at making it big, being how the record industry was back then. Nowadays, you'll only be as famous as the amount of fans you have on facebook or the amount of youtube hits your videos get. The days of making it onto the cover of rolling stone and onto the billboard charts straight out of high school is pretty much unheard of now.

If you really have your heart into music, I recommend you tell your parents to **** off and live your dream. Keep in mind this decision will most likely make your life a living hell. You are going to have to sit in a small van with 3-4 other people and live off of slurpies and hot dogs from 7-11, playing to mostly empty bars and night clubs. This isn't going to be glamorous by any means and you will always have a hard time making ends meet. Just keep this in mind.
Why get a job at a desk? Go to trade school, it's way more worth it than getting a useless business degree. Everybody and their grandma has a business degree, and it's a useless piece of paper to them. Learn a trade, and you'll have a job for life, because you have a set of skills that people can use.

It's always a good idea to have a backup plan, in case your musician career fails, anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot, and will regret it every day if they don't have a backup plan.
I'm still not sure what your musical plans entail. Do you really think you're going to make a comfortable living playing empty bars and coffee shops? I'm not trying to shit all over your dream, but it sounds to me like you believe you're gonna end up being the next Trent Reznor or Marilyn Manson. Do you realize the amount of wanna be rockstars that are just on this website alone? If making it in the music industry was that easy, at least half of the people on this site would be signed. There are a billion people out there who want to be rockstars. What makes you any different from them?

Quote by WCPhils
I just wanna know how you saved up 15 grand by sixteen

I guess mommy and daddy have been saving since before he was born.
Last edited by JohnSmith85 at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by Blue_Strat_06
I say you blow all the money on a damn nice van...a damn nice one.

AND THEN YOU LIVE IN IT, DOWN BY THE RI VER.

CAUSE THERE'LL BE PLENTY OF TIME FOR LIVING IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER,

WHEN YOU'RE LIVING IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RI VER!!!!

(Invalid img)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

You're 16, you don't have a grasp on how the world works yet. What its like to work for everything, your food, electricity, rent, water, etc.

Music is NOT a guarantee, and the way the industry works anymore, you're not going to be making any money unless you get that one in a billion opportunity for a major commercial deal. That's the nature of the monster these days. Plus, if you go into it with the mindset that you're going to rely on that for your income, it's not going to end well. You can still write your music and share it and everything, but more than likely, it won't go much farther than a personal hobby.

Take the $15k you have saved up and go to school. Even just having a bachelors is SOMETHING that shows to a potential employer that you have something to your name. Sure, whatever job you may get with it could be something you hate, but its what necessary to pay the bills, which will allow you to pursue your music hobby.
NOPE
It's your fucking life. If you don't to waste 4 years or whatever of your life in uni, don't go. But you're 16, so you shouldn't really be worrying about that yet. Just get on with your life.