Hey all this is my first post here so please excuse me if I am doing something wrong

So anyways, I've always wondered why people put $100 dollar distortion pedals in front of a great high gain amp such as a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier? I know that the distortion channel is not the only (yet the most important hopefully) reason you would buy an amp like that but come on, your spending that kind of money to throw a $100-150 dollar pedal in front of it? This confuses me. Maybe I'm just totally against distortion pedals as I've never really liked the sounds of them.

Flame away!

EDIT: I know have a better understanding of why people use distortion pedals. Thanks for explaining it everybody and sorry if it came off as offending to those of you who use them.
Last edited by ChiknChunkCheek at Aug 12, 2011,
Well some people like the sound of some distortion pedals. Personally, im not a fan of them either. Also, some amps dont have a very powerful distortion channel so a pedal can replace this.
If someone likes their amps distortion but they want more to add some more distortion and tightness to their sound, they will probably use an od pedal as a boost to achieve that extra oomph.

As far as the distorion pedal goes, if they have an amp that has a great clean tone and a not so great distorion tone, they will probably use a distorion pedal for their dirty tone.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 11, 2011,
Variety?
I have three, they all sound different.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by kutless999
If someone likes their amps distortion but they want some extra distortion and tightness, they will probably use an od pedal to achieve that extra tightness and distortion.

How would you go about doing something like that? Would it just be a matter of turning the gain down on the pedal. I imagine if your gain was relatively high on the pedal while on the distortion channel of an amp it would get quite fizzy.
What amp do you have?
Do you like the distortion you get from it?
Well, if you love it then you probably won't need a distortion pedal unless you want a different kind of distortion(but it probably won't sound as good as the distortion on your amp) do you have an od pedal to boost it with?
because your amp is voiced a certain way and there are many different pedals out there with many different sounds that your amp can't do.

This is such common sense stuff. This is like asking why there are different amps or different guitars.
No the only real distorted pedal I have is my Big Muff. I've stayed away from buying pedals OD pedals after hearing some of the BOSS ones.
Last edited by ChiknChunkCheek at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by joe_k

This is such common sense stuff. This is like asking why there are different amps or different guitars.

I understand what you're saying. It's just something I can't wrap my head around. I would never think about throwing something like a Metal Zone pedal in front of a Triple Rectifier. It almost seems sinful.
There's your problem, you heard boss ones.

Check out Maxon, Ibanez TS9, Route 88 overdrives
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
There's your problem, you heard boss ones.

Check out Maxon, Ibanez TS9, Route 88 overdrives

Will do! I've been wanting to try out an Ibanez TS9 or the 808 for a while now since I've heard such miraculous things about it.
Okay ill give you an example here.

I have a peavey windsor, i like it, but it has a "Fuzzy" gain.

Now, how can i fix this? Well first i can turn down the gain on the amp its self (i go to 6) then, plug in an overdrive (basicly a distortion pedal if u didnt know), this will one, color the sound, and in my case with my tube driver, in a good way, as WELL as adding gain. Keeping the gain down and level up as well makes it a great boost pedal to drive tubes harder as well.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
They're great pedals, personally I have the TS9, great boost.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Jarrodthebobo

Now, how can i fix this? Well first i can turn down the gain on the amp its self (i go to 6) then, plug in an overdrive (basicly a distortion pedal if u didnt know), this will one, color the sound, and in my case with my tube driver, in a good way, as WELL as adding gain. Keeping the gain down and level up as well makes it a great boost pedal to drive tubes harder as well.

Okay thanks. I'll get my friend to bring over a couple of his pedals next time we jam to try it out. I believe he has a Jekyll & Hyde pedal, can't remember who makes it though.
Also if you are really on a budget, check out a deltalabs tube driver. Pretty much almost identical, and they sound orgasmic too.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Dmaj7
What I don't understand is reverb pedals. All amps should have reverb.

Not all people want to pay the extra money for a reverb circuit and tank if they are not going to use it.

Amp reverb is usually spring reverb. Reverb pedals allow for many different types of reverb.

This is the exact same question the TS is asking. Now that i think about it your probably being sarcastic. Kudos on the stealth trolling.
A lot of good amps don't have reverb, especially old ones. JTM45's don't have reverb and neither do most of the clones I've seen. People aren't going to stop using JTM45's any time soon. That's just one example.

I don't use distortion pedals myself because I have a programmable boost and master volume by using two MIDI rack devices, one out front and one in the loop. I can dial in any level of distortion I feel like just by rooting around with the signal strengths through the amp. However, I do understand why some people do use distortion pedals. It's all about variety and chasing a particular sound. If you want to nail a Gilmour tone for example, you pretty much have to use a distortion pedal of some sort because that's how he does it. He runs his Hiwatt clean.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 11, 2011,
Quote by joe_k
Not all people want to pay the extra money for a reverb circuit and tank if they are not going to use it.

Amp reverb is usually spring reverb. Reverb pedals allow for many different types of reverb.

This is the exact same question the TS is asking. Now that i think about it your probably being sarcastic. Kudos on the stealth trolling.

No I'm serious. I find it ridiculous to get that in depth on reverb. Get real spring reverb and be done with it, leave it on, and save pedlulbaord space.

If I was trolling I'd do this

Super stealthy.
Quote by Dmaj7
No I'm serious. I find it ridiculous to get that in depth on reverb. Get real spring reverb and be done with it, leave it on, and save pedlulbaord space.

My main amp has no onboard reverb and my reverb doesn't take up space on my pedalboard - because I don't have one. The reverb comes from my rack and all I have at my feet is the MIDI controller (well, and a Morley). What the hell use would onboard reverb be to me?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dmaj7

You can't do this with amp reverb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKyrULAfvq8&t=28s

Not to mention the fact that most amps don't do footswitch-able reverb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Because it changes the sound of your amp *shrug* adds more tonal variety. to get my lead tone I run a satchurator through the dirty channel of my amp (I turn my amps gain way down). Gives me a nice smooth lead sound. I HATE the way the satchurator sounds through the clean channel...it's all personal preferance
Too cool for a signature.
Quote by Cathbard
My main amp has no onboard reverb and my reverb doesn't take up space on my pedalboard - because I don't have one. The reverb comes from my rack and all I have at my feet is the MIDI controller (well, and a Morley). What the hell use would onboard reverb be to me?

You have no use for onboard reverb cause you already have other means.
I have onboard reverb, and its fine for me.

On Topic:
Different dirt for different sounds.
I have 3 Overdrives, 2 distortions and currently 1 fuzz.
The general consensus, when boosting a dirty amp, is you put the pedals drive at 0, and the level wherever it sounds best, usually quite high.

A LOT of people do this to achieve a really really tight, defined, metal tone.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Dmaj7

Not everybody likes the sound of spring reverb. I don't. And on most amps, the reverb is just a knob that you can't really adjust while you're playing, ya know? I'm in the market for a reverb pedal because I really like a deep, ambient reverb on my cleans, while having no reverb for my heavy distorted rhythm tones. It's not that hard to understand...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Another reason some people use distortion pedals is because their amps fx loop doesn't take certain pedals well, and they are fx they want after the distortion. Fox example my amps fx loop doesn't take my phaser very well, and so if I want to use phaser after my amps distortion it sounds shocking. If I use a good distortion pedal though I can put the phaser after the distortion and get a thick sweeping sound. Same with my delay, in my FX loop after distortion it sounds OK, after a DS pedal up front it sounds epic. Just personal preference
Quote by ChiknChunkCheek
your spending that kind of money to throw a $100-150 dollar pedal in front of it?

in the most basic terms:

a distortion pedal will sound better through a better amp, because the amp is still contributing a lot to the tone even when you're using loads of outboard FX. you just have to run a distortion pedal through any amp and then run it through any other amp, and you'll figure it out.

if you think it's sinful to run a distortion pedal infront of an expensive amp then that's your opinion, just don't question anyone else's motives, we all have our own ways of doing things.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
What you think people are doing, is they are boosting their amps (most probably already mentioned) to get more gain, more tightness in their tone.

But other than that for some genres it's perfectly fine to run a distortion pedal into a clean amp.
Why do some people wear hats when their heads already grow hair?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!