Today I was setting up a friend's guitar for him, and I used the Ernie ball strings he gave me, but one of the strings ended up uncoiling from the ball end right after I finished when I was playing it (first time breaking strings this way actually).

So I decided to change all of the strings and replace with a pack of Daddario strings, with the exact same gauges, and same type of string. Immediately after I was done, I noticed the Daddario strings seemed more tighter than the Ernie Balls. I even had to readjust the truss rod slightly.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I going crazy?
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 11, 2011,
from my bad memory of first year physics i think the tension is related to the length, guage and density of the string. can't remember the exact relationship but that might be what you are seeing.
No, you are not imagining things. You're right: string tension varies despite being the same gauge. This is usually due to the density of the core. You'll notice it even more on electric bass strings. The core density and design make a huge difference in felt tension (and in other things, too).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
No, you are not imagining things. You're right: string tension varies despite being the same gauge. This is usually due to the density of the core. You'll notice it even more on electric bass strings. The core density and design make a huge difference in felt tension (and in other things, too).

who would have thought first year physics would come in handy at some point in my life.
That's interesting. I've never noticed a difference before between the other brands that I tried though, it just seems that Ernie Balls are lighter in tension compared to Daddarios. Maybe because this is the first time I've played two fresh sets of strings, one right after the other.

Does anyone know any other comparisons between the different string brands, in terms of string tension, all things being equal?
Not really, I've been playing on D'Addarios for years though, and I've recently been playing acoustic alot, so I don't notice much difference in tension anymore... I also have a cool ability to adjust my picking and fretting pressure to the string tension, which is why I have no problem with floppy strings in drop tunings.