Im looking into some new pickups. I currently have EMG 81/85 in my guitars. I like the tone but i would prefer something with a little more feeling if you catch my drift. Through investigation ive found that there are thousands of brands and models. The current list of ones i would like to try are EMG JH set, DiMarzio D-activator and maybe air norton, Seymour duncan invaders, seymour duncan JB. Which pickups do you find to have a good tone but still pack a punch for metal? More abstract ones are okay with me. Give me the scoop.
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
not really sure what you mean by more feeling... could you give examples of any other guitarists?
---
The emgs feel a little bland. They have this big feeling but its just like something that was generated by a computer rather than something produced by the instrument based on the woods and such. Like i said i just to get some recommendations of pickups people like other than the ones i mentioned. high output, good for metal and clean.
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Check out the EMG 81X/85X. Seriously. SD Blackouts are kind of similar too, but the EMG X's have better cleans.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't no cause i got that same set in my Jackson running through a tube amp (this is important as they were designed for tubes and not ss) and they are amazing but i hear the JH set is really good aswell as should suit you better.
yah id like to play it through a tube, i just dont have the luxury at the moment. Ill probably break down and buy a triple rectifier within the next year. Ill check out both the x series and JH.
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
new pups through a solid state amp won't make much difference.

if you really want some passive pick up advice - i'm sure we can give you some.

i personally would save up for a tube amp before swapping your active pups out.

just my opinion. I've been in your shoes too.
Try wiring the EMGs for 18 volts

The JH set at 18v.

D-Activators by DiMarzio

Pinkillers (for brighter tone) and Aftermaths (for more low-mid focused, balanced tone) by Bare Knuckle.

Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Man trust me i actually was thinking of switching mine out to but when i got my tube amp and gave it a try out i was so happy i didn't. Do what you gotta do even go into a store with your guitar and plug yourself into a tube amp if you don't like the sound still then switch but if you do wait because trust me if you truely want to play and want a solid tone you'll be getting a tube amp end of story.
Quote by Shinozoku
Try wiring the EMGs for 18 volts

The JH set at 18v.

D-Activators by DiMarzio

Pinkillers (for brighter tone) and Aftermaths (for more low-mid focused, balanced tone) by Bare Knuckle.

Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

Bareknuckle's are up there with the best, so are Rock Monkey pickups by Corey. Typically hand wound pickups are gonna be some of the best pickups you can get, but you can find some production pickups that will give them a run for your money.

BKP Painkiller, is a excellent pickup if you know how to use it.