Okay, this is my very first post. I apologize in advice for anything I do that's frowned upon. I read the FAQ, and searched for a similar thread.

This is my guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-black-and-chrome-fat-strat-electric-guitar/511944000001069

Anyway, my Low E has a wobbly sound. It's the best way I can describe it. From Google, it sounds like it could be "stratitis" or "wolf tones". It said that can be caused by the pickups being too close to the low E. I tried to fix this by lowering my pickups to the point that they were underneath the pickguard. The bridge has two bolts on each side, and I raised them to the point where my strings were at least two inches above the pickup, it didn't do anything. I've also tried a different saddle. Out of frustration and desperation, I slid a small piece of rubber between the saddle and the string. Problem is fixed 90%. It still makes the wobbly sound when I first strum the string, but goes away immediately. It probably isn't even noticeable if you don't know it's there. What do you think the problem is? And do you know any more permanent, less ugly solutions?
No, not anymore. I was just trying that because the most common reason for my problem seemed to be that the magnetic force from the pickups could pull the string down and change the way it vibrates. I went way over the top to make sure it wasn't the problem.
It's a combination of two problems, crappy saddles, and crappy frets. No Squier comes out of the factory with level frets, so when you hit the strings, the just ever so slightly come in contact with a high fret, and it can cause that problem. The rubber just dampened that, it absorbed it.

Get new saddles, and if you really want to, get a fret leveling on your neck.
Thanks a lot. I've looked at saddle sets at Guitarcenter.com and musiciansfriend. Any idea how I choose good saddles? I don't think the frets are a problem. It has the same problem all the way up to the 22nd fret.
If you really have to do just the saddles, the Graphtec saddles are good and you get benefits from the teflon.

Sounds like you have a "Standard" Squier, as a opposed to an "Affinity" or one of the other models--based on the 2 posts. That's really similar to the MIA Strats--I wonded if it's close enough for a drop in bridge replacement from an MIA Deluxe Strat?

If so, those are really cool. They even have a pop-in trem bar. http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=446, $110, but currently out of stock. Don't know if it will work with your block and/or mounting studs. Also if you don't like a slack bar, then the convenience of pop-in might not be worth it for you, in which case you can get the regular American Standard trem at the same place for about $40 less.
Quote by tas38
Thanks a lot. I've looked at saddle sets at Guitarcenter.com and musiciansfriend. Any idea how I choose good saddles? I don't think the frets are a problem. It has the same problem all the way up to the 22nd fret.

Trust me, they are part of the problem, I have a Squier affinity, it was doing the exact same thing, and I thought it was the pickups for the longest time, then I thought it was my playing. So I had the frets on my neck level by a luithor, and it went away.
I should probably try out the graphtec saddles, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try out a fretjob. It is a standard series Squier strat. To be honest, I'll probably just stick with this piece of rubber for a while. It really sounds decent, I promise. I think it cuts my sustain a little bit, but that's not too important to me.
if the string is two inches above teh pick guard mvoe the pick up closer to the string
worth a try right?
No, it isn't two inches above it NOW. It was just something I tried. Thanks though.
Not sure if those fit the Squier "Standard" bridge or not. As far as quality, they're what came in my '06 MIA Strat and I've never had any problems with them. I keep them lubed at the contact points with a graphite product, every time I change strings.

They're cheap enough to just try it if you can't get a good answer regarding compatability--although for $70 you can get the whole MIA standard bridge including the current stamped saddles from here:

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1888

If I were installing just saddles, then I'd go Graphtec just to eliminate the metal on metal contact where the strings touch. You might want to call them to see which ones fit the Squier "Standard" since it's kinda like an American Strat, but not necessarily in every way possible.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Aug 12, 2011,
Oh wow, that could be really nice. Having a "real" Strat bridge on my Squier. I bet that would make the sound much better in general, not just fix the problem I have.
No, those saddles won't fit. Squier and MIM Strats all have their saddle screws in the direct middle of the saddle. Only American bridges have the offsets. Those won't fit your Squier.
Quote by JustRooster
No, those saddles won't fit. Squier and MIM Strats all have their saddle screws in the direct middle of the saddle. Only American bridges have the offsets. Those won't fit your Squier.

Good point, Rooster--I forgot that they moved the screw position in 2008 when they went to the stamped saddles on the MIAs. So even American bridges don't have the offset anymore after 2008.

So these would be more likely to work if you want MIA Strat saddles:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-vintage-strat-bridge-sections-set-of-6/361341000000000

They're the same ones that come on that trem I linked to previously. Here's pics of that trem and TS's trem.

Now I don't know if the string spacing is the same or if the actual saddles are the same dimensions. But it's definitely won't be a matter of the offset with these. String spacing, screw size/thread maybe. Or maybe other dimensions. And I don't know if that whole trem I linked to would be a direct drop-in either.
Thanks again, you've been very helpful. I see that they don't bother to mention any of the dimensions on MF. The link for those saddles look wider than mine, but then again, they could just be shorter. I also notice there's no slot or notch for the string to sit in. It just seems odd. I really don't think I want to go with a whole new bridge. The odds of a perfect drop-in seem pretty low, and I'm not exactly a handyman.
So I just measured from E to e and it's 2 1/16''. If I measure from the edge of the E saddle to the other edge of the e saddle it's 2 1/2". I assume 2 1/16" is my string spacing?
After some research, I'm sure about the 2 1/16th. Anyway, I bought a cheap saddle on ebay. It probably sucks, but I'm pretty much broke right now and this let you buy one saddle. The link disappeared after I bought it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-Guitar-Bridge-Tremolo-Saddle-Strat-Style-Import-/380255194572?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5888f9cdcc#ht_3509wt_964

This is the same one, except mine is black and this is gold. If it sucks, oh well, it was only 3.50
Good luck with it.

If the whole thing still bugs you after that swap, then I'd recommend saving up for Graphtec saddles if they make them for the Standard. I'd give them a call to make sure they make some that are a good fit--or if it's too hard to reach them, then the folks at Stewart MacDonald should be able to help.
Thank you. I might even go for those full contact hardware saddles.
Well, I put the new saddle on. Didn't really make a difference. I just don't see how it could be the frets when it's the same problem from an open note all the way up to the 22nd fret.