I'm 99% sure I'm getting a 12-string next month-ish. I have have a few questions/concerns.

• Are they difficult to string?
  • Are they difficult to tune?
  • How do they sound with capos?

thank you
Congrats. Welcome to the club.

1. Not really, Only difference is that it takes longer than a six stringer.. (Obvs)
2. Nope.
3. Same as any other guitar. Great.
just got mine a week ago,tuned up great,great online sites make it very easyto tune if its not acoustic electric,im lazy so when due for string change id prob just get it serviced,be a pain in ass to change 12 strings thats for sure
1. No more difficult than a 6 string. Just takes twice as long.
2. No more so than a 6 string. Just takes twice as long.
3. Varies from guitar to guitar obviously. But capos work just fine on 12 string guitars if that's your concern.
Ya *may* need a 12-string capo. I went with a Shubb deluxe (?) Not only a longer bar; but a roller instead of nub fulcrum. No more spendy that that useless POS G7 self-locker!

Some/most 12's tend to get a bit "thin" sounding at higher registers. Not quite so bad on the first 4 or 5 frets, tho. They, like *most* acoustics, are meant to resonate best with open chords.

Enjoy!
What are the significance of the smaller strings next to the EADGBE strings? are they all the same tunings or octaves of the strings? I only have a brief time playing one but was in awe the entire time
^--Tuned traditionally the 'twin' of the four thickest strings is an octave above, the 'twin' of the two thinnest strings are tuned to the same pitch.
If you get a locking capo you won't have any issues. Spring-loaded ones might not cut it- you'll need one made for a 12-string.

My Breedlove 12 is incredibly easy to play. I put light Elixirs on it. They are very easy to tune and sound beautiful. My recommendation is to tune the B and E 2nd string a few cents higher/lower than the first string to give it a wider sound. If you tune the B and E strings perfectly in unison they don't have a wide sound.

You'll thank me later
Quote by CV334
If you get a locking capo you won't have any issues. Spring-loaded ones might not cut it- you'll need one made for a 12-string.

My Breedlove 12 is incredibly easy to play. I put light Elixirs on it. They are very easy to tune and sound beautiful. My recommendation is to tune the B and E 2nd string a few cents higher/lower than the first string to give it a wider sound. If you tune the B and E strings perfectly in unison they don't have a wide sound.

You'll thank me later

I have a Planetwave NS so i might be alright because it's kinda long. I strictly use bronze strings though;i hate phos. bronze. Thanks for the tip!

How does the action differentiate from a 6 string?
Quote by danieliwasko
I have a Planetwave NS so i might be alright because it's kinda long. I strictly use bronze strings though;i hate phos. bronze. Thanks for the tip!

How does the action differentiate from a 6 string?

It took a little while to get used to it. You obviously need to put down more force to fret properly, but this particular 12 was set up nicely. I can't play it quite as quick as my Takamine 6, but it makes up for it when I use a thin pick and let the notes ring.