i just got a Dunlop MXR fullbore metall effects pedal today. It didn't come with the power supply. So I tried putting in a 9 volt battery and it didn't work so I went to take it out and the battery was really warm. Then I got a 9v output cord and plugged it into the side. I plugged in my guitar to input and my amp to output. The led still wouldn't come on, but I was hearing this clicking noise. Then I unplugged my guitar from the input. Looked away for about 1 minute and I heard a pop. I look at the pedal and smoke is coming out of the hole where the cord was plugged into....seriously fml...I payed $100 for it, and I didn't even get to hear sound from it...I think it is fried..I am not sure if it is safe to try and use...
It's fried don't use it, get a refund sounds like a manufacturing error
\
_\,,
"-=\~ _
\\~___( ~
_|/---\\_
\ \
So, smoke is coming out of the thing, and you're not sure if it's safe for use...

Should be under warranty.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Well I plugged in a 9volt battery. Plugged in the guitar and amp. The light comes on and when I switch it off I can hear through the amp. When I turn it back on nothing. So I guess the fried part is what is keeping me from being able to use it when it is actually on?
yeah you're pedal is fried. Get a refund/exchange. As long as they deem it not your fault it will be replaced for free
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Yeah...it is fried..and I am an idiot for trying to still use it, but it didn't start smoking or burst into flames..yet. I am going to see about sending it in because it should still be on warranty.
bring it back to the retailer, I work retail and if something is defective that soon after purchase we replace it at the store level
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

I bought it off of musiciansfriend.com...so I couldn't test it..I know I should have somehow but I had no way to...and I also know that there should have been an adapter that came with it..there wasn't..so i couldn't use the one that was supposed to be used. Lets see it can be powered by a dunlop ECB003 AC adapter, a dunlop DCB10 Brick, or MC403 power System. Or a 9volt battery.
there are a few things you have to check before using a random adapter. The polarity, voltage, and mA output. Wrong polarity can fry your pedal if there isn't a protection diode in the circuit. Too much voltage can fry it, not enough voltage will make it sound different than intended. A pedal will only draw as much amperage as it needs, so as long as there is more amperage on tap then needed, you are covered there
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I dont think any MXC pedal comes with an adapter unless you buy it separately or its a special deal.