I'm upgrading to an better amp, as all I have now is a Spider Line 6 , and am, frankly, sick of how shitty it is. So, my thoughts were to get an Orange Tiny Terror, and an Orange 60W 1x12 cabinet. Three questions...

1) Is it a nice amp? I've only gotten the chance to play it for about twenty minutes, and I loved the sound it cranked out, but twenty minutes isn't a lot of time. What are some opinions on it, from more experienced players?

2) Would I be able to play smaller venues with it and my 1x12? I'd like to use it on low settings as a practice amp, and then take it to jam with a drummer, and hopefully, play a few local venues. I presume it can do this. Just thought I'd check =P

3) Would a 'metal' distortion pedal (like an MXR, or a Boss MT-2) sound good on it? I know it's more of a 'rock' amp, and is perfectly capable of putting out a great tone on it's own, but just in case I wanted to play, say, Sleep, would a more competent metal pedal sound good? I love playing rock, but I dabble a lot in metal as well.

It's the amp I'm leaning towards (and the cab), as it seems perfect to me, but as I'm dropping $1100 or so on it, are there any people thinking 'Holy shit, this guy knows nothing. He needs a ________!'? Thanks a lot.
Its a great amp, but overpriced in the US. Also with your budget there are options that would suit you better
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
They are an extremely solid amp and I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you're leaning towards metal though, maybe the Dark Terror would be better. Still part of the Tiny Terror series, but with higher gain.
Dark Terror, huh? I have considered that, but i have one problem with it - most of the videos for it I've seen for it don't touch on the styles I'm thinking of. For example, one video talked about how it has tubes you'd expect in a 'death metal' amp, right? But the guy demoing it didn't play anything remotely death metal :s

If someone could back up the Dark Terror as a death capable amp, then I'll put more consideration into it - otherwise, I'll stick with the Tiny Terror + distortion pedal combo! =P

I should add quickly, I don't play a lot of death metal apart from Death, Vital Remains and Atheist. I'm more into sludge metal (of all kinds).
Yep, it's a nice amp. It's a one trick pony, but it does its trick very well. If you like the tt, go for it!

Easily, it's loud.

Probably not; it doesn't get along well with most pedals.

Also, I would suggest the combo, which has a g12h30 speaker as opposed to the v30 (a bit honkier) in the cab.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by ZombicidalMan
Dark Terror, huh? I have considered that, but i have one problem with it - most of the videos for it I've seen for it don't touch on the styles I'm thinking of. For example, one video talked about how it has tubes you'd expect in a 'death metal' amp, right? But the guy demoing it didn't play anything remotely death metal :s

Actually the guy says that it *doesn't* have tubes you'd expect in a death metal amp...and to be fair...it really isn't a death metal amp
I am assuming you're talking about the Premier Guitar video from Musikmesse.
Another upside with the Dark Terror is its FX Loop, which the Tiny Terror is missing.

I got a Dark Terror on the way actually..should get it on wednesday or thursday next week, so I'll be able to get some first hand experience to relay after that.

Keep an eye out for video reviews and demos of it though, because it seems most (at least EU) retailers got it in stock yesterday, so they are bound to start popping up.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
what kinda music are you playing? drone? doom? or? honestly if you're trying to go for matt pike's tone idk man.. sunn? with a maxon 808 thru that would sound good, and sorry if you said this but i forget, what cab are you looking for?

edit:craigslist is your friend.
Yeah, Shor, that is the one. My mistake, haha, I was too focused on the amp I never payed attention to the dude... I'm not going to be buying it until I hear a little more feedback, so it would be incredibly awesome if you could test it out, maybe with a few pedals, and then message me or something? If you do, thanks so much! =P

I'm not planning on droning, so I don't need anything for that. I'm also definitely trying NOT to copy Matt Pike's tone, I just think it sounds great. The music I'm thinking of playing runs along the lines of Isis, Neurosis, Baroness, Mastodon, Deadbird, The Ocean, and hell, maybe even something un-sludgy like Protest The Hero, Death, or BTBAM.

Thing is, I don't want an amp that's like 'You can play this and this ONLY.', I want something that's more varied. I figure the Orange TT can let me play classic rock, some blues, progressive, and some metal like Maiden or Sabbath, and hell, probably even thrash. Add a pedal and I can play downtuned sludge metal (I hope).

The cab I'm looking at is just a 1x12 Orange cab, this http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7774/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Orange_Amplifiers/PPC112_-_60_Watt_1x12_Ext_Cab.htm
Also, I really don't want to buy used. All the pawn shops here suck, and to find anything decent on craigslist, well, I'd have to travel 1000KM just to try out an amp. Believe me, I have looked and looked for good used amps, and nothing pops up near me. I would way rather just buy something brand new from a shop, that I know will be good.

Edit: Sorry for writing a ton, but getting an amp that will give me what I need is really important to me. And, I also realize that $570 isn't that much for an amp, and $400 for the cab, but shit, I'm just a starving student. I don't want to pour my money into something that I'll hate in a year. So, thanks for all the helpful comments, people, and keep 'em coming. Please
Last edited by ZombicidalMan at Aug 12, 2011,
I have a Tiny Terror and I love it. I use a Digitech Whammy, a Fuzz Factory, and a Marshall BB-2 through it and it seems to take to those nicely. It doesn't have a HUGE amount of gain on tap, but certainly enough to play rock. And yeah, it's LOUD.

I'm guessing boosting it with a Tube Screamer might squeeze it a bit more for metal, but I haven't tried...

Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jet City JCA20H
Orange PPC212
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Boss DD-7
Digitech Whammy IV
I run a distortion through mine, but more so of a boost. It's a hell of amp. Loud as hell and when it's boosted it really nails the heavy orange crunch with a boost.

Overpriced in the US.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Or you could get a mopre versitile Blackstar HT-60 2x12 tube for less than the orange?
^ 60 watts is a bit high for small venues and bedroom use. Also:
Yes, the TT is a good amp
Yes, it's a one trick pony
Yes, it's a little overpriced
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I don't know, I really didn't like the Tiny Terror.
For about Classic Rock levels of gain it's OK, everything beyond that sounds like bees.
Quote by JesusCrisp
I don't know, I really didn't like the Tiny Terror.
For about Classic Rock levels of gain it's OK, everything beyond that sounds like bees.

This. Its really not a metal amp. Past a certain point on the gain knob its just all fuzzy. It has a bit too much sag imo to do metal much justice. It can be done but there are probably better options.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
The high gain tones on the TT are perfect for grungier/punkier/stoner rock kind of sounds. I have the combo and it's a great sounding amp... maybe a little overpriced, but it's no-nonsense and the perfect volume for gigging/practicing.
CheapGuitarists.com - new site for the budget minded or beginner guitarist!

"He who hath pizza shall never die in vain" ~ Lord Cheesus Crust
Quote by Emperor's Child
^ 60 watts is a bit high for small venues and bedroom use. Also:
Yes, the TT is a good amp
Yes, it's a one trick pony
Yes, it's a little overpriced

The newer amps have volume knobs.
Quote by Dmaj7
The newer amps have volume knobs.

Believe it or not, even the old ones have.

The really old ones didn't have gain knobs though.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Believe it or not, even the old ones have.

The really old ones didn't have gain knobs though.

I'm a fan of the Channel volume and Master as opposed to Volume and Gain.
Quote by Dmaj7
I'm a fan of the Channel volume and Master as opposed to Volume and Gain.

If you have a volume and gain, the volume is already a master volume, since you can control the preamp gain with the gain knob and the volume with the volume knob obviously.
Another master volume is something you would only need on a 2+ channel amp and not even there actually, since you will have seperate volume controls for both channels already.
Also, you forgot that you will still need a gain control if you are using a channel and master volume, otherwise you still won't be able to get overdriven/distorted tones from the amp without cranking the hell out of it or the help of a pedal.
my friend has one and ive played it alot through a 212 marshall cab w/ celestions...it sounds pretty sick cranked, hence the one trick pony...

man it is no where near loud enough unless you have it mic'd... I had it cranked and could barely hear myself over the drummer in a practice room.

I wouldn't get anything under 50 watts to gig with w no mics...I always hear people saying 5w or 15w is enough and maybe it it and my drummer just hits hard (he does and is like 5 ft tall and skinny lol) ...but to me it just doesn't work...I play 100w clean on like 2 oclock with pedals and with the Terror and marshall setup is going with me you can't hear shit cept drums and me. and we don't play any where near metal
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by treysonpwaters
my friend has one and ive played it alot through a 212 marshall cab w/ celestions...it sounds pretty sick cranked, hence the one trick pony...

man it is no where near loud enough unless you have it mic'd... I had it cranked and could barely hear myself over the drummer in a practice room.

I wouldn't get anything under 50 watts to gig with w no mics...I always hear people saying 5w or 15w is enough and maybe it it and my drummer just hits hard (he does and is like 5 ft tall and skinny lol) ...but to me it just doesn't work...I play 100w clean on like 2 oclock with pedals and with the Terror and marshall setup is going with me you can't hear shit cept drums and me. and we don't play any where near metal

Whats the drummer playing with? His face?

Seriously when I was practising with mine I had it on about 2 o clock and it was too loud.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
lol ^ i guess we just play loud? ikd really...I never use anything under 50 watts on clean cranked to crunch with boosts and fuzzes for solos or heavier. He plays pretty dang hard though...i hear this so much but I guess we just like to be loud!!!!
After a lot of thinking, I still think I'm gunning for the TT. I realize it has a more rock sound, but I don't need death metal tones here - if I really need them, though, I have a tiny little practice amp that I can use my pedal with. Problem solved.

Other amp heads I've been leaning towards are the Blackstar HT-5, or really any Blackstar in the price range, the VOX Night Train, and the Randall RM20. All sound like superb amps. But I really dig that Orange sound, haha. I'm playing a handful of amps tomorrow and seeing which ones I prefer. Thanks, guys.