I was never previously interested in these so much, merely because they weren't all tube. I mean, I heard some decent demos of them doing chimey cleans and jangly overdrive, but I figured the volume was just turned down so that the tone would stay good. Well, a buddy of mine proceeded to take his recently purchased Vox AC15VR to play with me and some other friends at a youth conference. He had both volumes cranked to 12'oclock and proceeded to get great and loud chimey tone with his pedalboard for the effects (reverb, delay, volume pedal, compressor, tubescreamer, etc.). I was very impressed. We stuck a mic in front (standard for all amps) and he filled the room which could seat about 1,100 people.

Now, I've played an actual AC15 and I have to say that I am partial to the tone of it. It is still more expressive and dynamic, the tone opens up more at higher volumes, and it had very musical and controllable feedback. However, for $380, that wasn't a bad sound at all. I'm tempted to get it, as all that spacey and ambient alternative rock style that I play in this particular band is more a secondary thing. It's not my main style that I write in, although I still love playing it. Should I consider getting one from this series, and save the real money for my MAIN amp? I feel so torn...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
well i've seen AC15's going second hand for about 400 euros on my local second hand site. it didn't said if it was perhaps the VR series so i assumed that it was the proper AC15.

i myself would just go with the AC15, a night with an amp doesn't show you what it really does and tube is really the only way to get tube sound. it just your choice in the end.
do consider however that you might be disappointed by the VR in the end.
Don't get a fake amp. No one will be able to tell, but we will know, and we'll hold that against you.
if you like it get it.
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Oh, well it was three consecutive nights, back to back. I mean, I can still save up for an actual AC15. It would just take me an extra couple paychecks to have enough extra money to justify it. I honestly loved an AC15C1 with a greenback speaker in it. It sounded awesome, but it's just that everything I play wouldn't work so well on it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5