Hi guys, I've been playing guitar since 2004 and bought my first electric without much serious thought. As a result I have a Roland Cube 30, hated the tone, and I've never had much desire to play electric because of it I think.

So now I'm in the market for a serious amp, or digital effects processor. I'm not sure what I would like.

Budget? - $600 - $800 AUD. I guess this can vary if the price is worth it, or I can go less if I don't need to go that high.

Genres? - This is the tricky part. Since I've never really been able to play too much electric, I've never found my style. I listen all kinds of rock - The Beatles, lots of new punk (Propagandhi, A Wilhelm Scream), I love jazz and jazz licks, reggae... Versatility is pretty big on my list, I think.

New or Used?
- Doesn't matter. New would be nice, especially since it's not easy to come across the right used gear in Australia.

Home or Gig?
- Home. And this is the important part, it needs to be something quiet and manageable. I can't play loud at all, pretty much. I would LIKE the ability to gig in the future, but it's not a huge requirement.

Closest City? - Adelaide, Australaia

Current Gear? - ESP Ltd Viper 2005, EMG 81/85 pickups. Those pickups make it very hard to find a good amp that does them justice. Probably a mistake.

- The other piece of gear I have is the Toneport. I've never been able to mess around with it long enough to find a crunchy or metal tone I like. I don't know if it is the toneport itself or if it is just the presets.

I'm not after particular models, but just ideas of what direction I need to head in:

- Digital effects processor like the HD 500 - Is it better than a Toneport or am I just up for dissapointment going the digital route again, especially with my pickups?

- Tube amp + pedals in the future - More expensive route, less versatile in sound, but better sound. One big factor, however, is the volume. I really can't play too loud. Even my Roland Cube 30 is unbearable past two or so, and that is a solid state. I don't want to go loud if it can be helped.

- Any other options?

I just don't even know where to begin looking beyond that. I'm not really a person who suffers from GAS or researches a lot of gear so I'm completely out of the loop about what is good and what isn't. And I feel like trying amps at the store (which I WILL do) isn't an option right now because there are too many choices and I don't even know how to handle the gear properly enough to get a sound I want.

So any opinions, help, words of wisdom, anything welcome. Thanks .

Oh and my friend is selling a Peavey Classic 30 which is an option at the moment, but perhaps not the best one for the pickups my guitar has.
-Hill