I don't have experience using and equalizer on a pedal board, but I read that many people use them. Is there a significant advantage to using one on the board as opposed to just tweaking your amp controls for bass, mid and treble?
There is a significant advantage if you pay attention and use it correctly. An amp has set bass, mid, and treble controls. A 5,7, 10 band eq gives you choices of different frequencies to boost or cut. It's just more control over your sound
Most amps have an interactive setting between the bass/mid/treble controls as well - when you change one of the EQ settings on the amp it will affect the others, as well as things like gain (e.g., more treble usually results in a slightly higher gain setting). Your best option is to get a good amp tone, and then run a multi-band EQ in the FX loop of the amp - really helps refine your tone.

T
You'll usually get more controll over your eq by using a eq pedal. You can get a ten band eq that can really shape your tone. And eq pedals can be like a second channel eq so you can add on to your amps eq with the pedal's eq whenever you want to. And plus, if you would be playing gigs and stuff and if you don't have time to walk over to your amp, the eq pedal can defantly be a plus in that situation.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
How do you plan on bypassing the amps EQ? Amp EQ sounds better to me even though you can get more precise with a pedal. I prefer 2 band EQ anyways.
Dmaj7, I don't believe I can bypass the amp's eq, can I? I only have the option of going through the input before the preamp or using the effects loop.
Quote by nonjonron
Dmaj7, I don't believe I can bypass the amp's eq, can I? I only have the option of going through the input before the preamp or using the effects loop.

I would probably be pretty dumb to bypass the amp's eq unless it is complete crap. If that is the case you should just get a new amp. Otherwise it would be best to leave the amp at a decent setting that you think is best and then tweak using an EQ pedal. That way you can make small changes to your sounds instead of making a huge curve on your EQ pedal.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Aug 12, 2011,
Thanks everyone. I get the idea that having the EQ is rather like adding another channel to the amp. Being able to punch it on and off on the board is a nice option. Any other recommendations or an eq pedal recommendation is appreciated.
You could use an EQ in a few ways.

1. Tone shaping; fine tuning your already EQed amp
2. Boosting; setting up a different tone for a solo or adding more gain to your signal
3. Actually acting as another channel or, if you have a 2 channel amp with a shared EQ, when one tone works for one channel and doesn't for another, you can channel switch and hit the EQ at the same time to get a more desireable tone.

As for EQs: cheap=Danelectro Fish n' chips
More expensive=MXR 6 and 10 band, Maxon 6 band, Carl Martin Parametric EQ,

I have only tried the MXRs for reference.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Why do you want an EQ? If it's because you don't like your amp's tone, it's not going to be a cheap fix for that. You're better off getting a new amp. EQ's are more meant as a tool for fine-tuning.
Note that if you us a pedal EQ for excessive boosting of frequencies, you're likely to introduce a lot of noise to your signal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.