Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I've had a flick through the stickys but could do with some extra clarification if anyone can help

I need a new amp. My budget is around £100 ($140ish?) and I've been playing around 8 months, with decent progress for that length of time. I play a pretty basic (okay very basic) Aria STG.

Been looking at the Roland Cube 30x as have heard great things about it, but i can't find a decent deal on it right now. There's a Frontman 25R in my local selling store second hand as well as a Marshall VS30 for £100 and £65 respectively.

However, this morning i stumbled across a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt second-hand for only £85 and that comes with a switching pedal also...

I know the sticky said to avoid the Spider III (too 'digital' apparently) but this just seems too good to pass up - what do you guys think? I'm going down to the music store later today to have a go on a few just to see what i think of each of them too.

Thanks, Meikle
No.

Just, no.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
i'm going to say things about the spider; but since you're going to the store just buy what sounds good to you.
Now I have no idea about prices, but I know that peavey vypers get a lot of good rep for being a decent cheap amp. Spiders get a lot of bad things said about them. I'd personally get the roland cube over it but I don't really know much about what else to look for at that budget

What kind of music by the way?

muledit:
Should clarify... Whilst the spider gets a lot of hate, for a beginner looking for a decent starting amp I don't think it's that bad. However 75 watts seems a bit excessive
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Aug 12, 2011,
look into getting a Peavey Vypyr 30 maybe? I have a 15 watt one and it is so much better than the spiders and i have definitely played on both types. what Genre do you play?
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
I gave mine away (Spider III). It was alright to practice with, but I just didn't care for it. At all.
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Last edited by willhurley82 at Aug 12, 2011,
Put it this way, the only way you should ever own a spider is if some one pays YOU many monies to take it.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
spiders have a bit of an electro-static quality to the tone that you will eventually start to find annoying and hate, if the amp doesn't irrepairably break down before you notice it.

they can do the job if that's all you need them to, but they are horribly unreliable and there are practically no amp techs out there who know how to repair them when they do screw up.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
No, not the spider and the frontman. The Roland cube is better than the frontman and the spider. It has a great metal and clean tone and is very durable. I'd save up for the cube if I were you.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
i have a spider. youll regret it next year. its horrible.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
£100 isn't a lot.

If you get that amp, just be aware it isn't the best sounding amp, but if its all in working condition go for it. With 75 watts it would be able cope with playing with other people. Not to mention the effects and models will give you lots to experiment with.

I say go for it

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
jump all over it man!

for only 85 quid you cant go wrong!
mojostompboxes.com
I don't see all the hate on it, sure it's not the best, for 85 hell i'd have one.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
that's what i'd have thought... they're not great, but for £85 and with teh pedal too? you'll struggle to do much better...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^yep, my only concern really is reliability.

it wouldn't be fun to spend £85 on an amp and have it break down after a couple of weeks and have no warranty or anything to fall back on - that would be a waste of £85.

that doesn't mean it necessarily will break down, though, i know several people who haven't had problems with them ever, but i know nearly as many who have.
Rig Winter 2017:

oh yeah, sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blompcube
^yep, my only concern really is reliability.

it wouldn't be fun to spend £85 on an amp and have it break down after a couple of weeks and have no warranty or anything to fall back on - that would be a waste of £85.

that doesn't mean it necessarily will break down, though, i know several people who haven't had problems with them ever, but i know nearly as many who have.

Yeah but for £85 you wont get anything new thats worth having a warranty on either

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i dunno. i mean if you buy from someone like dv247 you'll get a 4-year warranty. i mean isn't the 15 watt vypyr around the hundred pound mark? also some of the mini modellers which can be quite good.

granted if you need volume they're not going to work.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, true but DV247 are cunts

in all honestly I wuld take a 2nd hand 75 watt spider over the 15 watt Vypyr

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah but for £85 you wont get anything new thats worth having a warranty on either

that is a good point. but that doesn't make it less of a waste of money if the amp does break down or maybe isn't even working properly to begin with
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah, true but DV247 are cunts

in all honestly I wuld take a 2nd hand 75 watt spider over the 15 watt Vypyr

i never had any problem with them, but then again i only bought a couple of cheap things online from them.

thomann, then. 3 year warranty, pretty good to deal with.

but yeah i mean for anything other than bedroom playing (and even then) the spider is probably better for that kind of money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by greeny23
jump all over it man!

for only 85 quid you cant go wrong!

Jumping on the Spider is the only thing you should do with one
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
^sigged
Its a decent band aid... Just be aware the wound will reopen eventually.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i'm with blomp on the reliability concern.

we had more spider SS amps come through for repair than any other single model of amp over the period of a year.

i should have made a chart.

actually, we had about an equal amount of spider SS amps as all other amps combined. (every amp can need repair over time, it's just the law of musical instruments).

i'd pass for the sake of not losing the cash, even though it's not a lot of money, it's money that could be better used by saving more of it.

good luck.
I have a Spider III 75 watt. I'm going to get another amp as soon as I can. I don't mind the sound, in fact, for the type of music I play, it sounds good if I customize the settings. But the amp is made from cheap materials, which is evident within the input jack. I have broken that thing countless times, in fact it's broken right now so I'm using POD Farm, it uses a plastic nut which easily gets undone. If you can get it for 85 currencies, I'd suggest doing it. But save up so you can get a better amp.
I'd rather just go for a MFX unit and just plug it into computer speakers, but its up to you.

If you like it, go for it, as long as its working.

In the end it's not a huge amount of money, assuming you have a job. If not, I'd just put it in my piggybank, and aim for a higher end amp, and call it a day.

I think you can get more firewood from the local Sainsburys with 85 quid than getting a Spuder. Plus the Sainsburys' firewood will be better quality than a Spuder.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Oh, also I forgot to give you one piece of advice about con-men.

If a deal is too good to be true. It probably is. Getting a good tone out of a Spider is like a fairy tale or a fable. It doesn't happen in real life.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
sell you my spider3 150watt with the 4 pedal stomp box for £100 if you want it or got a marshall vs100r with pedal and cover for £100 if prefer that
I had A spider 3 and I now have the Spider valve mkII The spider 3 was a good amp the noise gate sucked but that was about it. If you can't get yours to sounds good then you are doing something wrong. They aren't the best quality but at that price range what is? Besides where else are you going to get those effects at that price? If you want better gear you have to pay more. If you want those effects you have to pay more. If you want better sound you have to pay more. For the price its great. And every one hate thier first amp any way. I say go buy it.
Im not a huge fan of the Spider series but i DO own the spider 3 120watt. Since you haven't been playing very long the spider OR the Roland cube would both be good amps for you. Allot of people hate on the spiders cuz yes they are extremely digital sounding.

But they are great for learning about different effects and how to use them creatively as well as give you more appreciation for better sounding amps in the future when you upgrade your gear. I personally thing the Spiders are great starting points for new players who are still learning the basics of all the options out there for tone and effects
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by Briyan_15
Besides where else are you going to get those effects at that price?

A Vypyr or a Cube, both of which are infinitely better amps.
Quote by robhc
A Vypyr or a Cube, both of which are infinitely better amps.

This
Hey guys thanks so much for all the responses, that's really helpful! I should mention I'm only 16 so obviously don't have a proper job, which makes that 85 all the more enticing... I play all sorts: RHCP, some blues, some metal so I guess an all-rounder makes sense.

I'd rather buy second hand but I can see that could cause warranty problems :/

Also, are Spiders really that bad for a beginner? I can see why advanced guitarists would stay away from them but...
Last edited by Meikle Treikle at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by Meikle Treikle
Hey guys thanks so much for all the responses, that's really helpful! I should mention I'm only 16 so obviously don't have a proper job, which makes that 85 all the more enticing... I play all sorts: RHCP, some blues, some metal so I guess an all-rounder makes sense.

I'd rather buy second hand but I can see that could cause warranty problems :/

Also, are Spiders really that bad for a beginner? I can see why advanced guitarists would stay away from them but...

still pretty bad for a beginner, when i started, i used mine for like, 7 months until I realised it was a complete pile of aids and then brought a 6505 combo.

Probably best to just save for something better

edit: if i didnt play metal it probably would of a lasted a little longer, the metal/insane channel actually does sound like a swarm of bees getting raped
Last edited by s31770 at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by pigeonmafia
No.

Just, no.

For beginners, maybe. But in the long run ^^^ NOOOOO.

I currently have a Spider III 75w sitting in my room. It has no purpose besides being a true bypass amp. I use it as a stage monitor, that's basically it.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Page 1 of 2