Hey.

I've been playing guitar on and off for about a year or two now and I feel like I've hit a wall with it. I don't know what to do to get better or what to practise.

I have only ever been a bedroom player and taught myself with some beginners books and tabs.

I can play a few songs (Simple Man, Lord of This World, Paranoid, Sunshine of Your Love & Johnny B. Goode (at a slower pace than standard Chuck Berry ^_^) ) and play the basic open and minor chords but that's about it but I really want to progress more.

What would be the best way for me to further improve my guitar playing abilities?

Thanks
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Well really the question you should be asking yourself is "where do I want to go?". Surely you started the instrument to learn or play music right? So what kind of music was that? Think back to your original aims when playing guitar and you should be able to figure out what you need to do to be able to get there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Is there a style that intrigues you?

Is there something you've heard that you've gone "Whoooa, that's insane, how do they do that?"

If there is, try learning that style of guitar.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Is there a style that intrigues you?

Is there something you've heard that you've gone "Whoooa, that's insane, how do they do that?"

If there is, try learning that style of guitar.

The problem with this is that you may love a whole different bunch of styles.
I would love to save up all my money to buy an Ibanez Jem and play nothing but Steve Vai as much as I want to buy an old acoustic and play nothing but delta blues!
There's no problem with playing a ton of different styles
So? Who said you need specific gear to play certain genres?

As long as a guitar is playable any style is possible.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Well I love classic rock / hard rock / heavy metal so Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Iommi and I also quite like blues music and rock & roll.

I have read though that Hendrix, Clapton etc. were all big blues fans and that's where they started from.

So what would be the best way to learn blues style guitar?
My setup:

VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by LankeyDwarf
Well I love classic rock / hard rock / heavy metal so Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Iommi and I also quite like blues music and rock & roll.

I have read though that Hendrix, Clapton etc. were all big blues fans and that's where they started from.

If you want to learn the blues, listen to some blues / blues rock bands, get into the style. and then incorporate what you have heard into your playing.
Quote by LankeyDwarf

Yup, that's a brilliant idea - the best way to really get to know an artist who inspires you is to look at what inspired them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by LankeyDwarf

I'm going to assume you mean the more electric side of blues so really the best thing would be to look at and learn from the greats of the genre: start with guys like Albert King, BB King and Freddie King and just go from there. You'll end up at Joe Bonamassa in no time, trust me

Really, no matter what anyone says, the first step to learning a style is imitation so go and imitate
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Take lessons.

(This should be the default answer whenever the question is "I'm self-taught and I want to take things to the next level.")
Because every guitar teacher I've had is really cocky and arrogant and makes me feel like i'm rubbish at everything I do.
My setup:

VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
I think there's a point on most guitarists' playing that they feel like they are stuck in a rut. What I did when I was in a rut, was I switched to piano. I learned a lot more about multi-tasking among other things. I transferred what I learned from playing piano into my guitar playing. Plus, playing multiple instruments greatly helps your chance of joining a band, as the third post suggests.