This is a track I've been working on for a couple of days. It's a half mellow, half inspiring thingamajick intended to give vibes of 18th or 19th century England (and the sea).

Would love some thoughts on production - I've recently (and finally) gotten a decent set of headphones (K240's), but I'm not yet used to them, so feedback on the balance is much welcome. Thoughts on the music and arrangement itself is welcome too of course.

Also if there's any wolf notes that's slipped by, feel free to point them out, I've got a craptacular midi controller and latency so it's a bit of a pain to get things smooth.

linky-tink: http://soundcloud.com/desc/lamentation-by-the-sea

Just drop a link if you want C4C.

oh and I'm horrendous when it comes to titles, suggestions plox
Last edited by descara at Aug 12, 2011,
It blew my mind, for real.
Really loved those violins....

Please, tell me what instruments you used man.

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
Also, why don't you youtube it? Its really neat.

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
^

Thanks for the kind words!

Regarding the actual instrumentation, it's set for slightly extended woodwind section (flute, alto flute, oboe, eng. horn, clarinet and bassoon), harp, and string orch. A little percussion as well, obviously, and of course there's the violin solo.

As for the actual samples, it's pretty much all EWQL's Symphonic Orchestra except for the bassy percussion which is a bit of a mish-mash.

Might upload to my youtube when I've finished it I guess, it's mostly for my showcase since I'm looking to write for indie games and stuff.
Mixing on headphones is great for placing things in the stereo field (panning), but it can be difficult to get the balance right. I also find headphones tend to make everything sound a little too good, which can be problematic when mixing.

All that said, I think balance is fine on your mix, and everything seems blended well. It sounds like the score to a film. Other than that, it's a bit difficult to comment because this is not my type of music, but I think it sounds pro. Good job.

FaceBook.Com/ChrysalisBand
Wow. I loved this. I second the comment about the violins and I thought the entire arrangement was emotionally epic. Haha. Great job!
This is very professionally done. The whole thing sounds great!

My only problem with it is that the song structure lacks movement. The parts where the drums came in gave me the impression that the song was transitioning into a new "movement" if you will, but each time the drums disappeared and the song went back to the main melody, which was a bit disappointing. Still this would sound great as part of a film.

Hope this helps
c4c
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469290