Hi,

I have been learning theory for over 10 months,and I have seen many complex chords like maj9,add6 and maj7,add6.I know how to play these chords but its really difficult for me to figure them out by ear.I can figure out major chords,minor chords and the dominant 7 chords including maj7 and min7 but is it really necessary to learn the sounds of these complex chords.
If you like to incorporate those chords in your own playing style, or want to be able to recognize them, then I say go ahead. If you feel like you don't need 'em, stop learning them.

/thread
...marmalade is my jam.
would it help an artist to know what the different colors looked like? would it help a chef to know how his ingredients tasted?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Keep playing chords and learning songs, th elonger you play the more ingrained the chords will become in yourself. After a while you'll be listening to a song and think "that was just a ib, V of iv, iv, #vio7, V" or something.
Quote by griffRG7321
Keep playing chords and learning songs, th elonger you play the more ingrained the chords will become in yourself. After a while you'll be listening to a song and think "that was just a ib, V of iv, iv, #vio7, V" or something.

+1 good advice

even if you don't learn the theory you'd still be able to recognize chords. like "that was an open G, or that was a D major 7 barre chord.

and TS, yeah it's important, but no you don't have to go and memorize the sound of every single chord ever. (and shouldn't IMO)

Learn music.... listen. + time
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 12, 2011,