I've been thinking more and more about what i should do, or go, after i complete university next year.

Being a fan of nature in general along with walking, and a healthy obsession with Lord of the Rings, i've been thinking about backpacking (or tramping i believe the Kiwi's call it) through New Zealand. Generally crossing areas of interest, through forests and so on, visiting the film sites from LOTR (sparingly) and generally being with nature in the epic landscape that is New Zealand. I would guess that i would mainly camp out, occasionally using the free to use public huts, and when in towns/cities, a cheap hotel so i can have a rest and a shower.

It's very much in my mind currently and it's far from definite, but what do you think? Any information of what should be seen whilst i'm there, the dangers and so on? What are your experiences from doing such things, along with the people living in Kiwi land (MH400)? Any other travel based ideas are welcome.

I would presume this to be a solo experience throughout, and have no real intention to include friends.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by whatanoob
The Milford Sound trail is pretty beautiful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound

Thank you
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
If you do, just watch out for the Wetas.

They can get a bit...cuddly, as my dad puts it.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by Dawginator
If you do, just watch out for the Wetas.

They can get a bit...cuddly, as my dad puts it.

Are they the spiders? I'd put it into google, but truthfully, i have a phobia of spiders and have no wish to be faced with one And i'd request politely if no one would post a picture of one if they would be so kind.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Sofa
This is a must do. Just a one day walk, and pretty busy, but it's bloody amazing. You also get the optional extra of climbing 'Mt Doom'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongariro_Crossing

Awesome I thought Mount Doom was a protected religious site though for the local tribe?
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
If you come to Christchurch I can hook you up with whatever. Places, people, activities (legal + illegal) and all that jazz.

I'm 19, have a car etc
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by MH400
If you come to Christchurch I can hook you up with whatever. Places, people, activities (legal + illegal) etc.

Christchurch was the most boring place I visited in NZ.

When I went one of my favourite things we did was a glacier hike in Franz Josef and the town itself is really nice aswell.

Queenstown was amazing for partying but everywhere we went usually had a nice walk nearby.

We did a bus tour called the Kiwi Experience which was good fun as it kind of makes it a good place to meet people.
just stay in the south island if you want all that nature stuff.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Eh. Auckland has the skytower and black people

Queenstown has the fun / adventure stuff

Dunedin / Otago for student drinking

Chch for me, earthquakes and bogans

Wellington for that_guy_again (Met him IRL, hes a top guy)
RIP Tom Searle.
A question for New Zealanders what is the deal with your bars and not being allowed to be drunk? I know it's the rule in this country aswell that you can't serve drunk people but you can still be smashed as long as your not causing trouble.

In New Zealand I was constantly paranoid about acting sober because next thing you know they are telling to get out or to drink water.
I'm no authority on it, but I just got back from a two week trip up in the north island (my girlfriend's living there at the moment, etc).
Anyway, it was pretty nice, but I still feel like the south island would be better for sightseeing and enjoymenting.
Quote by Anthony1991
Are they the spiders? I'd put it into google, but truthfully, i have a phobia of spiders and have no wish to be faced with one And i'd request politely if no one would post a picture of one if they would be so kind.

Technically it isn't a spider...

It's some kind of weird shit-ass bug thing. Just don't sleep near/in a cave. The cave Wetas are bigger and pale. Blind too, IIRC.

You will need to see one though. Sorry, but it's so worth it, just to say WTF IS THIS SHIT out loud.

An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by pbiggie
just stay in the south island if you want all that nature stuff.

This, although if you can see the whole country, do it, it's not too difficult.
Also Queenstown is a must. There are some decent hiking trails right on the edge of town (they're all one day/half day trails) and the bar scene is pretty amazing from my experience.
The future is no place to place your better days
Quote by flecktowned
This, although if you can see the whole country, do it, it's not too difficult.
Also Queenstown is a must. There are some decent hiking trails right on the edge of town (they're all one day/half day trails) and the bar scene is pretty amazing from my experience.

It really depends on how long i spend in the south i guess, since if that's where nature resides on mass, then that's where i'd want to spend the majority of my time, but i have no aversion to heading north for a few parties

And that bug/insect doesn't bother me at all I'm fine with everything apart from spiders! Thank you posting it though, quelled fears

What are the primary dangers of going NZ? Like, are there any bears and so on? Venomous things etc - because i really have no idea!
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
No bears, not much in the way of poisonous things either. We have a few species of poisonous spiders, but they are quite rare, and found on the offshore islands.
I think the biggest dangers you'd face is the weather. It can get bloody rough out in the wild, if you're not adequately prepared. That said, if you have a GPS locator, and a distress beacon, our Search and Rescue teams are pretty good at their job.

I highly recommend doing the Abel Tasman track, fly into wellington and take the ferry across into Picton, then walk for about 3 days around the National park. Very nice in the Summer, esp in Picton, you can smell the wild Manuka honey in the air, its divine.

Queenstown is good, from what I've heard.

North Island ways, Tongariro crossing is fantastic, and up the Coromandel Peninsula is pretty popular with tourists looking to get away from civilisation. Wellington is a pretty sweet city to chill in for a few days, home to me and that_guy_again.
--- You know I can't have your ghost chips ---