Does anybody have some tips for cleaning up the tone when playing in Drop C? ( full step down )

I love the sound of Drop C but whenever I'm riffing heavy on the bass strings it sounds too muddy. I'm using a Fender Strat w/ Lace Sensors > Metal Muff Top Boost > Peavey Classic 30 if that helps....

thanks
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Back off your bass a little. The drop tuning is adding to the low end, so you don't necessarily need as much eq'd in from your amp.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Higher gauge strings is one thing.

EDIT:
leave mid at 10 o'clock or less

BS. You don't have to scoop your mids the whole time.
Last edited by conor-figgy at Aug 12, 2011,
Yeah either EQ it like the above states or maybe change to a thicker gauge of stings, i've always found it more responsive when playing in down tuning like that
I play in C# and i've always found that preventing muddy tone when tuned down almost always comes down to string tension. If you're using light weight strings such as 9's and you try to go down a step or so, the loose tension causes horrible tone. Whenever I play in D (full step down) I usually use 10-48 gauge strings, but if you like a slightly tighter feel id use 11-50 or so.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by eatfresh1736
You should definitely use Drop tuning strings. Cleartone and DR make good ones. Try backing off on the bass dial, leave mid at 10 o'clock or less, and boost your treble a little.

Unforunate, I refuse to play anything other than Elixers for so many different reasons. (am already using 11's) As far as I know, they don't make anything comparable. I'll try EQ'ing to the desired tone though, thanks for the suggestions guys.
Quote by eatfresh1736
You should definitely use Drop tuning strings. Cleartone and DR make good ones. Try backing off on the bass dial, leave mid at 10 o'clock or less, and boost your treble a little.

This too. DR DDT's are solid.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
This too. DR DDT's are solid.

What is it that makes drop-tuning strings more suited for drop tunings than say, a regular set of 11's
Your best bet would probably be too switch to their 10-52s. This would give you a little more tension for your low E which is being tuned down the most. I think if you did that with a proper setup, tweaked your eq and dialed back your distortion a little (if applicable) you should be fine.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Thicker strings and more mids. That's really it.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
For Drop C I'd get a pack of 11-54 or something similar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.