I have EMG85 (neck) and EMG81(bridge) in my Godin Redline 3. I'm having trouble getting nice sounds. I can't get good cleans. The cleans sound muffled. I'm playing it through a Marshall MG30DFX (yes I know it's rubbish but I got it free) and sometimes I would go play it through a Peavey Special 212. How can I get good cleans? Changing amp is out of the question.
I've always stayed away from the EMGs, not an active pup sort of guy. Just keep screwing with the settings on the amp or try some pedals out is my suggestion. Make sure you also change the battery frequently on those actives. Sometimes a new full battery can liven it up a bit.
Quote by zakarii
I have EMG85 (neck) and EMG81(bridge) in my Godin Redline 3. I'm having trouble getting nice sounds. I can't get good cleans. The cleans sound muffled. I'm playing it through a Marshall MG30DFX (yes I know it's rubbish but I got it free) and sometimes I would go play it through a Peavey Special 212. How can I get good cleans? Changing amp is out of the question.

Then get new pickups.
EMG's are not really good for clean stuff.
do some EQing and lower the gain. If you get break up lower gain, and maybe lower the volume knob a bit. Ive never had any problems getting good cleans with my EMG guitar. and if you still dont like the cleans after lots of EQing and testing, srry but the problems the amp.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Aug 12, 2011,
Like bustapr said..... you could lower the gain. That always seem to clear up the cleans.
it's because it is a solid state amp, active pickups are designed to drive tubes, get yourself a small tube amp and it'll sound great, a lot of people claim emgs are bad for cleans, i like the refer to these people as 'people who have never used emgs', they were initially designed to get the best clean sounds for jazz guitarists, and they still do the trick
what's the difference between a drug dealer and a prostitute?

a drug dealer can't wash his crack and sell it again
yes, anyone who says theyre bad for cleans are bandwagoning the myth. And theyre not really bad on SS amps either, IMO i have a godly clean tone on my vypyr 30
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Hate to say but it's probably your amp. I got EMGs on my guitar with a Marshall MG50 DFX amp and also get a muffled clean sound, it might just be the series of amps.
You need good gear to have good tone. Your amp sucks. Harsh, but that's all there is to it, really. You could make it sound better if you didn't have active pickups, since as said above they don't really work well with solid state amps. But it's not really worth swapping pickups unless you have a decent amp. Your amp is the single most important part of your tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Its definitely the amp

i know, i have one

Cleans are always kinda muffled and OD sounds like a really bad fuzz pedal
try rolling down your guitar's volume control

aside from that, amp's probably the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You're playing EMG's through a Marshall MG and want good tone/ good cleans without changing your amp or pups.

It's only 11AM here but here's the trophy for most ridiculous thread of the day.

It's not possible without at least an amp change (IMHO, you should get rid of your trash amp AND your garbage pickups, but that's another thread entirely.)
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut

It's not possible without at least an amp change (IMHO, you should get rid of your trash amp AND your garbage pickups, but that's another thread entirely.)

lolno
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
^I knew some here would disagree, that's why it says IMHO.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 12, 2011,
I don't think Cleans and Marshall MG go together. What I would say is keep searching the internet for a good cheap tube amp and sell that MG. If that is out of the question then I don't really know what you can do! IMO EMG's sound good clean, but that's just me
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
EMGs aren't meant for small solid state amps. You want either a tube amp, a much bigger professional solid state amp or a change to passive pickups. You could simply roll the volume down on your guitar which at least takes care of the crazy output but the tone will still sound very flat and boring.
Quote by zakarii
I'm having trouble getting nice sounds.

Hm, lemme see if I can find your problem...

Quote by zakarii
I have EMG85 (neck) and EMG81(bridge).

There it is!
Quote by JustRooster
Hm, lemme see if I can find your problem...

There it is!

I used to get excellent cleans with my EMG 81 81 set up, by themselves, the 81 sounds bad, but when you put them together(middle position) they sound beautiful at cleans, the 81 gives you your treble, and the 81 or 85 in the neck gives the bass end of the spectrum, and it just all meshes together perfectly.

This is coming from a guy who plays Bareknuckle pickups, I love EMG's, but I just got tired of em, because they are sterile, but they do not sound bad by any means.

TS, your amp sucks, get a new one, bottom line.
Ya I have the same set the cleans blow... I've tryed a lot of different things and they almost sound like they are bottoming out. I would get different pick ups The death Bucker from lace is good passisve but great metal tones and cleans.
Quote by zakarii

I use the EMG 60 in the neck and get pretty nice cleans out of my Peavey Transtube 112. I once had an MG series 100 watt head and I didn't care for the clean tone on that amp. It had a muffled sound like you described.

On your clean channel, turn everything to 0 and start from there. Play around with the knobs and figure out what sounds like crap, what sounds a little better and then what sounds best. I do this and I normally achieve a decent or really good sound.

I never cared for the EMG 85. It sounded a bit too boomy for me. And the 81 in the neck is too bright and thin, in my opinion. The 60 has the right tone, I think. It provides great clean and lead tones, but it all boils down to what your settings are. Good luck.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by MaddMann274
Then get new pickups.
EMG's are not really good for clean stuff.

Bullshit. I can get the nicest cleans you could imagine with my EMGs. It's all about knowing how to EQ. Chorus and reverb help as well.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
Bullshit. I can get the nicest cleans you could imagine with my EMGs. It's all about knowing how to EQ. Chorus and reverb help as well.

hmm.... maybe just the amp I played on.
Quote by MaddMann274
hmm.... maybe just the amp I played on.

Meh, I can get my MG10CD to sound amazing. Then again, I am running my M9 before it. :P
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
^You can probably get the best cleans possible for a set of EMG's if you EQ like you say, but no matter what, it won't really compare to an equally priced, equally well EQed passive's cleans. I've tried EMGs extensively, I have a particular group of friends who all run around in their own little Grindcore bands and use ESPs with EMGs and back when I pretty much only played Metal, I wanted to love them but just couldn't. To my ears they're just flat, sterile, and overall a poor tone.

Edit:
Ethan Hanus, I cannot go into a thread without you talking about BKPs, no matter what. Can I get you some counseling?
cheers brother.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by VanTheKraut
^You can probably get the best cleans possible for a set of EMG's if you EQ like you say, but no matter what, it won't really compare to an equally priced, equally well EQed passive's cleans. I've tried EMGs extensively, I have a particular group of friends who all run around in their own little Grindcore bands and use ESPs with EMGs and back when I pretty much only played Metal, I wanted to love them but just couldn't. To my ears they're just flat, sterile, and overall a poor tone.

Edit:
Ethan Hanus, I cannot go into a thread without you talking about BKPs, no matter what. Can I get you some counseling?
cheers brother.

I don't really hear a sterile tone and I always hear people say that. Metallica's tone is great and they've used EMG's since Kirk first got his EMG's in 1984, I think. And their tone has progressed a lot since MOP and AJFA. Listen to Jame's clean tone... it sounds like a dream. Even his distorted tone is so raw sounding and has a snarl to it. Of course, he and Metallica can afford the best of the best gear, but to say EMGs have a sterile and poor tone is kinda unfair. I've played a set of SD JB/59's when I had a Jackson USA RR1T and it wasn't as tight sounding to me as the EMGs are. The bridge pickup had somewhat of a muddy tone when playing on the lead channel. Also, I did have a Jackson Japanese made model (can't remember the name, had a 3x3 headstock) that had EMG 81/85 pickups and I actually hated the way that guitar sounded. It was all mahogany with an ebony fretboard, but the EMGs sounded very muddy in that guitar. However, my LTD and ESP both have 81/60 sets and they sound great, even through my 8 year old Peavey amp. The 60 on the clean channel with chorus and reverb sounds awesome and same goes for playing leads. It's all a matter of opinion, anyway. I'm not saying you're wrong or that I'm right.

And don't knock ESPs that have EMGs in them. ESPs are great guitars and I'm glad to own a Standard Series Eclipse. It's the best sounding guitar I've ever had and I've had 6 guitars throughout my 8 years of playing. I currently only have 4, though.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by VanTheKraut

Edit:
cheers brother.

Nah, they are just such great pickups for me, if only I had a better guitar to put them in. I may be a bit of a BKP fanboy, but tis why I am the BKP guy on UG.
Quote by TH3M B0N3Z
And don't knock ESPs that have EMGs in them. ESPs are great guitars and I'm glad to own a Standard Series Eclipse. It's the best sounding guitar I've ever had and I've had 6 guitars throughout my 8 years of playing. I currently only have 4, though.

I wasn't knocking them. You might have blended my critique of EMGs with my anecdote about where I heard them (in my friend's ESPs) but I didn't say anything about the quality of the guitars themselves, good or bad. I would probably have a couple LTDs if they made decent ones that came with passives There are some, but it's just a piss poor selection if you want passives.

^Hanus, yeah man they're nice pickups, ive been really impressed and I hope to put one in my RR once I have my Epi Semi-hollow for low- mid gain.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie