I've got an ashton electric guitar that was given to me for my birthday. I've played acoustic for about 5 months so im familiar with some aspects. I try to play coldplay riffs with my electric but it sounds nothing like it? What pedal do they use or is it down to the guitar?

Im talking about the sound like in "In my place"
try ripping off satriani. that might sound more like them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Effects-wise In My Place sounds like it has just a slight delay, but it's tone doesn't come from that. It's actually pretty simple, just guitar and amp, but a good guitar and a good tube amp at that. Likely a fender amp.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

so no pedals?

I've got an ashton guitar with a marshall amp, im a newb btw if you can't tell.

It sounds nothing like them
Do you know how I know you're gay?...

Jk, I remember that from some movie...

They seem to use a slight delay and the tone probably is some sort of tube amp.
As said, it sounds like there's a slight delay used for that sound.

Also look at a few tabs to make sure you're playing it right and just generally practice it. If it doesn't sound quite right it might simply be your technique, you might just need a while to get the dynamics of it down if you're a newer player.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Hahaha yes, I could tell.

Well yeah, with that guitar and your amp (which I'm guessing is a low-cost transistor amp) you'll have a hard time getting the cleans Buckland got on that song.
Also, don't worry, everyone is or was where you are. It's the working class guitar player fate.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Since you're a beginner, it's best that you learn early that your guitar and pedals (in most cases) have relatively little effect on your sound - your sound comes primarily from your amp.

Better to realize this early than sinking cash for no reason into pedals or guitars trying to fix your tone like a lot of us here have done and learned the hard way from.

Also lol @ Dave
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My amp is a marshall 10 or something? Im currently away and not near my guitar or amp so its bugging me
Since you're new don't worry too much about upgrading your gear right away. Upgrade when you feel you need it.

Some amps to consider might be the Vox VT range or the Fender Mustang's for lighter stuff like Coldplay. For metal stuff maybe the Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube. Avoid the higher wattage Marshall MG's and Line 6 spiders. Most if not all of the amps I mentioned should have built in effects that will give you an idea of what ones you use and what you don't. After that it might be an idea to start getting dedicated stomboxes of the effects you use most often.

In that video it just sounds like distortion (Which is likely from the amp) and a harmonizer/pitch shifter of some sort.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by JameO_182
Do you know how I know you're gay?...

Jk, I remember that from some movie...

40 Year old Virgin!

Back to the OP: Like people have said before, I wouldn't worry about your amp. Just practice. It could be your form, and you need to practice. You'll get it.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by randomhero65
40 Year old Virgin!

Back to the OP: Like people have said before, I wouldn't worry about your amp. Just practice. It could be your form, and you need to practice. You'll get it.

love that movie...

-sees username-

well now this is awkward...

EDIT: -sees join date-
even more awkward... who came first. o_o

EDIT2: dammit! It was a day off from being the same day.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Aug 12, 2011,
Any amp with very light distortion, delay and reverb. Very rarely some chorus. Coldplay's guitar work couldn't be much simpler, it's basically the same as U2 minus some distortion.
Quote by randomhero93
love that movie...

-sees username-

well now this is awkward...

EDIT: -sees join date-
even more awkward... who came first. o_o

EDIT2: dammit! It was a day off from being the same day.

That's Amazing! Nice to meet my UG twin!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by randomhero65
That's Amazing! Nice to meet my UG twin!

i never thought I'd ever see the day.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"