Ok, I've searched the forum looking for help with this but I couldn't find anything. So, please excuse me if these questions have already been answered somewhere...I've never painted a guitar before, so please help me out here!

I've got a sunburst Squier Jagmaster and I want it repainted to surf green. What stuff do I need to buy in order to make that happen? What's the whole process of re-paining a strat?
ive noticed that paint always helps, you should probably buy some of that. but i mean, its all about you, so you dont necessarily need it, but it helps...... anyway, just an idea
Ok, so do I just paint over the color that's already on my guitar or what? I'm clueless here...
Quote by honkytown
Ok, so do I just paint over the color that's already on my guitar or what? I'm clueless here...

Like with anything in life you paint, your final finish will reflect the level of preperation and time you put into it

If it was me, Id strip back down to the wood. It's painstaking and takes time but the final finish is more likely to be immaculate as long as you take the same care along all steps of the process.

You can rush it and go over the top but you risk not being happy with the finish when youre done and you can't guarantee the quality of the finish will remain for the life of the guitar.

I'd recommend stripping back. But its up to you.

Edit: Id like to add. This isn't a job for the uninitiated. Do a lot lot of research about painting, prep, how to paint. what kind of paint, drying times, proper sanding techniques etc etc.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Aug 12, 2011,