Is there anybody else out there that thinks that a lot of eBay bidders are really dumb?

here's an example:

*Item is here for, erm, let's say a Guitar worth £500 that somebody put on for £50 (made this up), and instead of waiting until the end, the same few people keep outbidding each other in what seems like a selfish act upon themselves and the other bidders. It's kind of like "OH! I want it, and I'm going to prove it to you until the bid gets so high that you don't put another bid on" rather than just wait until the end and possibly save, for example in this case, £200. =\

Anybody agree with me?
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by trollface5
yes

well that answers that.

thread over.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
+1
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Well yes. You'd hope that people would be sensible to realise that at some point, if they keep bidding against each other, one of them will win but the person who does doesn't make much of a saving.

The stupidest people on eBay are the people that don't bother to use English correctly and don't fill out the information properly. It scares me off so many things. Fuck if I'm buying something that you're selling and you can't type a sentence even if the item is in England.
Every time you bid, I'll add a penny.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Every time you bid, I'll add a penny.

Love the 28 days later quote in your sig

OT: yeah.
Quote by blake1221
Worse than them:

Dumb Thread Starters.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I like them, they get me more money for what I am selling
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
It doesn't matter when the people start bidding, everyone has an upper limit of what they're willing to spend. If someone sees an item with a current bid of 200$ and he's willing to put down 300, the price is going to go up the same whether he bids 2 days or 2 minutes before the end of the auction.

I'd even call it smarter to put higher bids down beforehand, because if you happen to have some other dude who is waiting until the last seconds as well, you're more likely to get caught up in the "rush" of the final minutes and put down more than you were actually planning on spending.
trying to bluff them is still effective, if you're willing bumping up the price to the most you feel the item is worth is practical.

I've done it, but that's because I was certain that people would try and snipe it and I cbf waiting until 12am when it finished, it's good to wake up and see I won it by a mere few dollars.
yo.

I BELIEVE
I once lost a bid for a copy of Pokemon Blue by 5¢. Man, I was pissed.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I just thought I'd bump this thread to vent. I want some boots I've found on Ebay that had a 5-day listing on them. There's a day left on the auction still but the same group of 3 or so morons have bumped the price up quite high just outbidding each other for the hell of it. Does nobody know how to work Ebay?! Brrr.

Also, a question: Because of aforementioned morons who will NOT be winning those boots which will be mine, I am now going to have to set my last-minute snipe bid really high. If I bid like £100, but the nearest other bidder is say, £70, I'd only pay a few quid over £70, right?
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Oct 13, 2011,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I just thought I'd bump this thread to vent. I want some boots I've found on Ebay that had a 5-day listing on them. There's a day left on the auction still but the same group of 3 or so morons have bumped the price up quite high just outbidding each other for the hell of it. Does nobody know how to work Ebay?! Brrr.

Also, a question: Because of aforementioned morons who will NOT be winning those boots which will be mine, I am now going to have to set my last-minute snipe bid really high. If I bid like £100, but the nearest other bidder is say, £70, I'd only pay a few quid over £70, right?

I say look carefully at the bids put up by those 'morons' and based on how much they push the price up everytime, you can approximately deduce how much their final bid might be.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Yeah, nowadays you put in your maximum price and it will automatically outbid anyone by a tiny bit (over here it's a few cents I think) up to the maximum, rather than instantly raising it to your max bid.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by breakstuff
I say look carefully at the bids put up by those 'morons' and based on how much they push the price up everytime, you can approximately deduce how much their final bid might be.

Only in increments of £5 or so. It was £25 last night and now I've checked it's £31, so they are hardly breaking the bank, just several of them each add like £1 a go.

I don't really know what their final bid might be which is why I was thinking of putting a max of like £100, assuming they won't go much above £50. But if they do I'm fucked because I don't want to pay £100 for the boots...
Quote by jetfuel495
What's even worse is the two people who bought my iPad and never paid me.

Seriously, screw eBay. I'm going to craigslist or something.

That's why you wait for the payment before sending the item...
RIP Gooze

cats
I bid on stuff even when over budget just so they have to pay more out of spite.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I bid on stuff even when over budget just so they have to pay more out of spite.

Interesting. But what if you win?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Only in increments of £5 or so. It was £25 last night and now I've checked it's £31, so they are hardly breaking the bank, just several of them each add like £1 a go.

I don't really know what their final bid might be which is why I was thinking of putting a max of like £100, assuming they won't go much above £50. But if they do I'm fucked because I don't want to pay £100 for the boots...

Alright, if that's the case then I suggest you wait until the final seconds and place a £11 bid, because they will probably go for a max bid of 10 (which is quite common) and if they do you will beat it by £1 without dropping too much on the goods.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Interesting. But what if you win?

Hasn't happened so far so I don't know
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by breakstuff
Alright, if that's the case then I suggest you wait until the final seconds and place a £11 bid, because they will probably go for a max bid of 10 (which is quite common) and if they do you will beat it by £1 without dropping too much on the goods.

So like.... I bid £101, they bid £50, so I get it for £51?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
So like.... I bid £101, they bid £50, so I get it for £51?

Yeah, they go up by 10, you go up by 11 and nail the deal. The type of bidders you described usually wait until the end and go up by 10 and think that they will win everytime because they think people expect them to keep the '1 up' mentality.

Quote by breakstuff
Yeah, they go up by 10, you go up by 11 and nail the deal. The type of bidders you described usually wait until the end and go up by 10 and think that they will win everytime because they think people expect them to keep the '1 up' mentality.

Thanks! I am definitely going to win the bid, these boots WILL be mine...

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Thanks! I am definitely going to win the bid, these boots WILL be mine...

No problem, cool boots, hope you win them

Quote by blake1221
Worse than them:

Dumb Thread Starters.

I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.

People will bid up to what they're willing to pay. If they think they can pay more than everyone else then they will try to scare off other bidders.

I always ninja bid though.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
currently I'm selling a pair of runners which have been put out on ebay already between $300-$400 so they're marked up 400%, I bought them brand new for cheap, I'm hoping for at least half of what the going rate is.

It's currently at $30 so the 20 watchers are playing it cool...if it goes for cheaper than what I paid then I'd be let down, but I'd be happy for the chap who gets them.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by jambi_mantra
Hasn't happened so far so I don't know

Aw, it happened to me

The bid was sitting at £33, I put in a ridic high bid which went to £34, then some dick bid £62 so mine shot up to £64 and I won. It wasn't even an auto bid, they were just being a twat. Now I have to pay £64 for some stupid boots. Urgh.

And postage on top