I sometimes see guitarists putting a "hairband" or something around the neck. From what I heard, it is to reduce unwanted noise. Is this right? and is this cheating in anyway?

Thanks,
This thread has been done to death. Searchbar.

The purpose is to eliminate open string noise while soloing higher up the neck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ +1

or those silly things knopfler used to wear (despite having no hair).

son i am disappoint.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WtrPlyr
It's because people don't know how to mute properly.

It works though and it's easy. Not really cheating, just a quick fix for a lack of technique.

I don't really think that's a fair comment. Sure, there are guitarists who use hairband to cover a lack of dampening technique, but then you have guys like Guthrie Govan and Greg Howe who really only use a hairband to dampen the open strings when they're playing long, intricate two-handed tapping sequences, where dampening every open string would be very difficult. I've seen both of those players play some passages llike that cleanly without the hair band too, sometimes it's just there for good measure.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Think it's really only ever done in the studio. To be fair any advantage you can take in the studio for the perfect take I wouldn't class as cheating - especially when double tracking and so forth is necessary. Also, as studio time isn't free and having the pressure of getting everything perfect, it can make even those with perfect technique struggle and not play their best.
Main Gear

93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Jackson DK2M
Burns Red Special
Various other guitars
Marshall 9200 Power amp
ADA MP-1 Pre amp
Alesis Midiverb 4
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Marshall 1960b cab
TS 808 modded Boss SD1, Boss GE-7, Dunlop Crybaby
I have seen a couple people do it onstage...don't really think it's cheating but I wouldn't do it bc I don't feel the need to. There rly is no cheating though lol. Is a capo cheating? bc your hands only have 5 fingers and aren't big enough to do those open chords without it? Is an electric guitar cheating bc your acoustic doesn't play as smooth or loud enough?
willing to bet all your favourite bands do it in the studio.

When recording it's fine, obviously dont practice with it as you'll develop a flawed technique
studio use is great id say.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
If someone depends on it for their muting technique, then I would say it is cheating. If they are in the studio, and need perfect takes ASAP, then it's fine. If they are playing live, and maybe are playing a difficult passage, then it's fine, but I think it's better if they don't need it. Then again, when playing live you only have one chance to do it.

That's just my opinion regarding hairbands.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

or those silly things knopfler used to wear (despite having no hair).

son i am disappoint.

+1

I thought we were talking about these things

put it around your neck and it reduces static electricity or something
There is NO cheating....the only thing I can think of as cheating would be a backing track or playing with your amp off and a recording on (lip synch for guitars)
The point of playing is to make good sounds. Hair thingy or not, if it sounds good, it IS good!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by WtrPlyr

It works though and it's easy. Not really cheating, just a quick fix for a lack of technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik

what a noob!

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't really think that's a fair comment. Sure, there are guitarists who use hairband to cover a lack of dampening technique, but then you have guys like Guthrie Govan and Greg Howe who really only use a hairband to dampen the open strings when they're playing long, intricate two-handed tapping sequences, where dampening every open string would be very difficult. I've seen both of those players play some passages llike that cleanly without the hair band too, sometimes it's just there for good measure.

dangit, ninja'd
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen it done, but does it affect dramatically how the open strings sound if you gotta play them?
lol he doesn't use it in that video. but i guess he proves he doesn't need it. but im sure he uses it in the studio to get the cleans takes possible on those tapping parts
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by WtrPlyr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-gNXCB2tE8&feature=relmfu
What a noob!

1.steal Dave's joke
2.post correct video
3.laughter
4.???
5.PROFIT!!!
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Aug 13, 2011,

you could show me a million videos of people tapping and shredding with hairbands on their guitar, I probably wouldn't be convinced. Just because they can play faster than me doesn't mean their muting technique is top notch.
Quote by Saint78

capo, your doing wrong
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

am i the only one who entered this thread thinking it would be about glam metal bands?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
wait when hair bands becomes a new fad again when were 50 or so lol maybe not even that long
Quote by WtrPlyr

you could show me a million videos of people tapping and shredding with hairbands on their guitar, I probably wouldn't be convinced. Just because they can play faster than me doesn't mean their muting technique is top notch.

everything about guthrie govan is better than you. he probably gets awards for his toothbrush technique. his muting technique is top notch, as proved by all the videos of him playing with no hair band. his picking technique, legato, tapping, fingering, and writing techniques are also top notch. his beard technique is even amazing. what more do you want from the guy?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
everything about guthrie govan is better than you. he probably gets awards for his toothbrush technique. his muting technique is top notch, as proved by all the videos of him playing with no hair band. his picking technique, legato, tapping, fingering, and writing techniques are also top notch. his beard technique is even amazing. what more do you want from the guy?

I almost spit out my soda!

There's no cheating in music. Only stealing
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by OliOsbourne
capo, your doing wrong

That's a blue hair band
you're a stone fox
Quote by InanezGuitars44

yeah his looking like an owl technique is pretty badass too

but seriously, gg is maybe the best rock guitar player around at the moment (certainly one of the best). he's crazy good.

to say he sucks because he occasionally uses a hair bobble to mute (which I'm guessing he only uses for particular songs, as that vid i posted shows ) is idiotic.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by OliOsbourne
capo, your doing wrong

It isn't even a capo. Plus you can't even spell.

You're doing it wrong.
Quote by fc89konkari
It isn't even a capo. Plus you can't even spell.

You're doing it wrong.

just joking
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Really? A headband?

And oilosborn, check your pm.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food