I just had to change to stainless steel string due to a high sensitivity to nickel, I've played with them for a couple of days and it feels better on my fingers but I just don't like the sound. At all. Way too bright for me.

Is there any way I could capture the nicklewound string tone with some sort of SS strings? Or am I doomed to live the rest of my days with a tone that I do not find can give me satisfaction?

Because I am NOT playing with gloves on
when doing stainless steels (Which I use because I like the brightness) just stretch them A LOT.......after they die quite a bit the sound gets Much duller. Also on your amp try turning the treble and presence down, I play with my treble usually at 5 or lower because my strings are so bright.
You could try flat-wound stainless steel strings.

Also, what a thread title...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
just play with the rustiest strings you can find forever, eventually your calluses will will be rock hard and you could play nickel strings without a problem. Maybe you could start playing a lighter gauge nickel string too so it isn't digging into your fingers so much. I know it's probably not the answer you are looking for but it will help you in the long run
Your life is shit because you spent £10 on some strings that dont sound right.

What has the world come to.
I know you said you aren't going to play with gloves on, but try some surgical latex gloves. You'll not come into contact with the nickel then, and you can still feel the strings fairly well, as the gloves are quite thin.
Quote by robhc
I know you said you aren't going to play with gloves on, but try some surgical latex gloves. You'll not come into contact with the nickel then, and you can still feel the strings fairly well, as the gloves are quite thin.

Wouldn't it look slightly creepy if he wore latex gloves on stage if he is or will be in a band lol?
Quote by maowcat
Wouldn't it look slightly creepy if he wore latex gloves on stage if he is or will be in a band lol?

Yeah it would, but he maybe likes looking creepy!
Although they'd cling to the strings too much, sliding would certainly be a pain in the ass.
Quote by maowcat

What's more important? Getting the tone you want, or not looking strange?
Gotta love first world problems.

That is unfortunate though, TS. Can't really think of anything other than simply turning down the treble on your amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I know a luthier near me makes copper strings, maybe look into that? The name is Petillo, located in New Jersey. Phillip (founder) has recently passed away, but his son David is a chip off the old block. google Petillo guitars and give the guy a ring.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by robhc
What's more important? Getting the tone you want, or not looking strange?

Tone over looks. Again, not wearing gloves though

Quote by LaidBack
I know a luthier near me makes copper strings, maybe look into that? The name is Petillo, located in New Jersey. Phillip (founder) has recently passed away, but his son David is a chip off the old block. google Petillo guitars and give the guy a ring.

Do you know if he ships them internationally? I'm from Europe
Quote by LaidBack

They must cost a fortune, and oxidize instantly. That really sounds like a terrible idea.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by AnttiP92
Tone over looks. Again, not wearing gloves though

Do you know if he ships them internationally? I'm from Europe

No clue, sorry. Try sending him an email?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by robhc

You could wear just one, put sequins on it, and grab your crotch with it occasionally too.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Try soaking the SS strings in vinegar overnight?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Lower your pickups, maybe. You get less brilliance on your sound the farther the magnets are from the strings.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
people use super glue to harden their hands for playing guitar, maybe a dab of super glue on the tips of your fingers would allow you to play with nickel strings.

just so you don't think i am crazy, you just put a dab on their, let them harden and you can peel them off real easy when you're done.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae