I never used an effect loop. I only have a rackmount tuner and conditioner right now, but eventually would like to get a gate.

I do have a delay/looper pedal that I use here and there. If i wanted to use the effect loop on my new 6505.. how does it hook up? Lets say I want to run tuner and delay pedal.

(here is the back of the tuner)
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/BTR2000_back-8061f4085737c1195489629831ed43b3.jpg

(heres the pedal I/O)
http://www.altomusic.com/shop/images/product/e2-0a5b1a0abbe787c0740cf082fa79e2ce.jpg

Where do i plug in what chords? Usually I did this:

Guitar -> input of tuner -> output "Main" -> Input on pedal -> mix -> head
Plug a cable into the effects send. That cable then goes to the input of whatever pedal. Then the output of the last pedal in the effects chain goes to the effects return.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I do the same thing as you do. Alot of people say it's just a recommendation to go through the effects looper, I can't really tell the difference to tell you the truth. I'm not really fluent in this, but my guess it uses less power and is better for your head, which I'm pretty sure I'm off base here. I don't know man, just never really could tell the difference, besides it sounds like the looper kind of deadens the sound for some reason.
^ You're completely off base.

Putting an effect into the loop places it after the preamp but before the power amp. Putting it in front of the amp places it before the preamp.

What putting an effect in the loop does, is prevent your effects from getting distorted by the preamp. For example, you can get some pretty funky stuff going on when you have a delay in front of the amp. As well, phasers and flangers will sound very different in the loop as compared to in front.

Just spend some time messing with it to see where you like your effects best.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 12, 2011,
ok thanks! Ill try it. Would it make sense to put my tuner through it as well.. if that even works? Ill try it with the pedal today
do any of you guys put a noise gate in front of the preamp AND in the effects loop.

i've always put it in front cuz the only noise gate i have had is on my RP90

but im looking to build a better rig and wondering if i should get a rackmount noisegate for after the preamp and keep the noise gate before also.

or would that do some major tone suckage

thought i should just ask here and not waste a thread asking
Quote by Raijouta

What putting an effect in the loop does, is prevent your effects from getting distorted by the preamp. For example, you can get some pretty funky stuff going on when you have a delay in front of the amp. As well, phasers and flangers will sound very different in the loop as compared to in front.

Just spend some time messing with it to see where you like your effects best.

That clears it up for me. Thanks man, now I am defiantely going to use that looper.
Quote by ampoverload
do any of you guys put a noise gate in front of the preamp AND in the effects loop.

i've always put it in front cuz the only noise gate i have had is on my RP90

but im looking to build a better rig and wondering if i should get a rackmount noisegate for after the preamp and keep the noise gate before also.

or would that do some major tone suckage

thought i should just ask here and not waste a thread asking

I don't use noise gates at all, if my amp is noisy I fix it. Of course I don't own the hiss generator that is a 6505.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification