Here's a little vid I came up with in the past hour or so, kinda Omar Rodriguez-Lopez/The Mars Volta inspired. I thought it was really cool, wanna see what you guys think! I don't usually mess around with delay too much, but figured I'd give it a shot.
As usual, I'll C4C whatever you send me. And be 100% honest, if it's negative, tell me. I'll be just as honest with you. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnReD_uonc&feature=share
Last edited by DavidRayT at Aug 22, 2011,
I really dig your tone! Like you mentioned, it goes a bit out of sync, which is something you could work on doing. I love the bit you play at 0:38, really nice little phrase there, good technique too. The bend at about 1:05 seemed a little bit flat, might just be my ears though.

Another thing I really liked was your little tapping bit, that was cool. Overall a great little improv piece, I like the feel of it. Really psychadelic.

Sorry it's not much, I've never been good at these, but I did like it a lot

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27880681#post27880681
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Quote by Hakoon1
I really dig your tone! Like you mentioned, it goes a bit out of sync, which is something you could work on doing. I love the bit you play at 0:38, really nice little phrase there, good technique too. The bend at about 1:05 seemed a little bit flat, might just be my ears though.

Another thing I really liked was your little tapping bit, that was cool. Overall a great little improv piece, I like the feel of it. Really psychadelic.

Sorry it's not much, I've never been good at these, but I did like it a lot

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27880681#post27880681

Thanks man! Yeah, the syncing's off, and so is my timing when I recorded. I had my amp fairly loud, and it was super hard to hear the track I was playing over. Haha. That bend was off, you're right. I'm trying to work on the bending and vibrato, plus my phrasing.

Glad I'm not the only person that found it a little bit psychedelic.
Listening to yours now!
This is awesome, some great phrases and licks in there and it is kinda trippy like some sort of hallucination of a quest I especially liked the tapping and your tone is great. I don't know if you had headphones on but I didn't see any so that might be helpful for hearing your backing tracks
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
That's a great point, Idk why I didn't think of using my headphones... lol I had 'em playing through my speakers.
& Thanks! My tone sounds a lot worse in person. For some reason, this random little USB mic makes my amp sound way different. I'm just running my Peavey Vypyr's Vox AC-30 clean model, with the modeled tubescreamer, + some delay and reverb.
Glad you liked it. Still trying to find "my style" or whatever. :P
I like it a lot! It reminds me of some Matisyahu style stuff. The only issue I find is consistency with your vibrato, sometimes it's killer sometimes it's so-so. Also your intonation is a bit rough on your bends. I really enjoy your phrasing though, and I like the rhythm track!
Thanks, man! Matisyahu is that reggae rapper guy, right? Never listened to it much.
& Thank you, I'll try to work on the bends and vibrato! Part of the intonation thing might be the old strings, I had the same set on for too long, and it was starting to give me trouble (even at band practice etc, without bending.) But it could be my bending too.
Thanks for your crit!
Edit: Oh my God, I love Matisyahu! I definitely hear a similarity in our playing/tone. Like this guitarist a lot. Thanks for the recommendation!!
Last edited by DavidRayT at Aug 20, 2011,
Hi,

I like the harmony, it's chill. Although sometimes it sounds messy, because you used exactly the same tone for the groove and the lead. The faster bits getsa bit confusing this way.

I would have used a different kind of dynamic for the groove (mabye palm muting) so the lead can be heard better. Listen to buckethead's big sur moon or paul gilberts echo song, you can hear the dynamics quite well in those songs.

But you did a great job nonetheless, keep up the good work !

c4c:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471754

Cheer,
Hm, good point. Also, I had too much delay/repeats/reverb all at once, so it kinda got muddy and distorted. I'll work on my tones/mixing next time.
Always nice to see someone jammin from the soulll
The backing track gives me a sort of Final Fantasy 7 vibe! Really nice tone too, got a nice foggy, fuzziness to it, like it's somewhere off in the distance and the listener is running through the mists trying to figure out where the sound is coming from

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473154
Awesome! Never thought of the Final Fantasy thing, you're right! haha.
Glad you enjoyed the tone, it's been one of my favorites lately. I might have to record some more stuff with it.

I was really trying to go for a Omar Rodriguez-Lopez/ Mars Volta inspired type thing, but I guess I kinda missed the mark. Oh well! lol
Hey man, thanks for your comment!

Wow, I really like that, it is very spacey and atmospheric. You used some great lick in it, your tone fits perfectly to your ideas and the track. Sure, there are some messy moments, but I really like them tho. Nice technique, I can say. Keep going man, I'll be interested of watching some of your work again
Thanks man! Appreciate it a lot. =] I'll try to work on another video soon.
Cool delay, when it comes to 3/4 signatures, I'm always a big fan... when it comes to 3/4 + beat delay, I'M A BIGGER FAN!

In terms of play i love it.

In terms of recording, perhaps I would work a bit more on the panning to have a more ambient sound?

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473185
Hey, sorry, didn't check the thread. I'll listen later, recovering from surgery. lol