I'm a teen, and I have a hard enough time convincing my parents to let me get CDs . But I was talking with my dad's friend who said he got a record player and some vinyl albums, and that it was totally different from listening on a CD or iPod. And I'd like a record player specifically to listen to a vinyl of "Dark Side of the Moon".

But is it worth it? I mean, how expensive can a record player be if it's just one I'd put in my room? And what is the difference in sound/experience of listening to a record vs. a CD/iPod?

I know where I'd get the vinyls, I'd just have to convince my parents to get a record player... They don't like music like I do... =/
1. They are records. Call them "vinyls" in a record store and you'll get yourself laughed out.
2. Buying a decent record player isn't that difficult, but you need to know what you're looking for, and have a decent amount of cash to play with to get something decent.
3. Vinyl is kind of like listening to music through Bose headphones. The super high highs, and the low lows don't come through very well, so you're basically listening to mids injected music. Some people like this, some people don't

A pic I've seen rolling around, hope it helps.
Last edited by wizards? at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by fan413
I'm a teen, and I have a hard enough time convincing my parents to let me get CDs

What the..fffffff
I got an okay player for $100, but it needs a powered source, like a phono in on a sound system's receiver. So you can't like just put on a record and listen. I have a cheap one from Big Lots that has a speaker that was like 40 or 50 but it sounds pretty awful.

Also, there's probably a vinyl thread somewhere that would be helpful.
Don't know if vinyl's sound quality is the best. On the other hand, if you can get the system, it might be worth it. While the only sound system I have is from the seventies and only plays vinyl, it still sounds nice. Never underestimate the power of a good sound system. Look for records in your local thrift store. Overall though, it's not the best, and most of the records you'd get would be secondhand. And it's very possible they'd be scratched. Don't just limit yourself to vinyl, there's another way to get music... lets just say you should read the first letter of every sentence in this post.
Vinyl sounds vintage. The record sleeves are awesome. It's pretty cool. But they're still the inferior format.

I think it'd be cool to listen to Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl though.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

I think it'd be cool to listen to Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl though.

I've got every Floyd Record between Meddle and The Wall on vinyl, and it's exactly what it sounds like, it's just listening to Floyd on vinyl
Vinyl is great. The art is big, the sound is warm, and you get something substantial for your money. I personally love the whole concept of an organic physical storage of sound rather than just 1's and 0's but whatever your reason may be if you're on the fence, do it.
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Quote by bradulator
Vinyl sounds vintage. The record sleeves are awesome. It's pretty cool. But they're still the less convenient format.

Fix'd
REGGIE
The whole listening experience is completely different in my opinion. If you're listening to an album as an MP3 then you can just hit pause whenever you want and not really concentrate on it, however listen to it on vinyl and its a lot harder just to pause and come back to the same part. It makes me want to concentrate on it more as i've gone into the effort of setting it up etc.

Be careful when buying modern albums on vinyl as quite often they just shove the same masters as they use for the CDs onto low quality vinyl and they just sound awful! Again my opinion
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
It's not a superior format, but I've had 'better' listening experiences with records over other formats, depending on the context. I'd much rather listen to certain albums in their original mix, and the format they were mixed for. I don't really have any desire to hear remastered/retouched versions of classic jazz or rock albums, for example. When you combine the artwork and collector's appeal, it's ultimately more satisfying imo.
Quote by UncleRemus
Vinyl is great. The art is big, the sound is warm, and you get something substantial for your money. I personally love the whole concept of an organic physical storage of sound rather than just 1's and 0's but whatever your reason may be if you're on the fence, do it.

Me too. It gives me something to blow what little money I have on and it's something to collect.
Quote by rhysm

Be careful when buying modern albums on vinyl as quite often they just shove the same masters as they use for the CDs onto low quality vinyl and they just sound awful! Again my opinion

I was actually just going to bring this up. Bands nowadays don't record to tape and then release a record with it. They record through Pro Tools, and then they wax a record out of it. So you basically are paying for the 1's and 0's, just by proxy.
Quote by LeakyFlask
Fix'd

The records can warp, lose quality significantly over time because of how they have to be played, are much larger and are of lower fidelity.

It's the inferior format.
Quote by willT08
The records can warp, lose quality significantly over time because of how they have to be played, are much larger and are of lower fidelity.

It's the inferior format.

But have you ever heard of QUAD CD's?!
REGGIE
I have a fair few vinyl records and I still think that CD's sound better, I think vinyl records sound a bit tinny and as others have said 'thin'. The art work is great when it's big though but apart from that vinyl records aren't really for me.
I think it depends on the condition of the record and the record player. I recently got a record player and some records along with it. For example, I have a really old Best of Buddy Holly record, and it plays fine but there is a constant crackling sound when it is playing. But when I play a Yesterday and Today, Master of Puppets, or Meddle I get very good quality and it beats out any CD or iPod
What people talk alot of about vinyl is that it "sounds warmer." I can see that in the older records I have but not so much the newer stuff. It's great if you have some older stuff; Jim Croce, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, etc. Antique shops and thrift stores are your friends.
I have 2, a old Edison record player from the 1800's, and a modern one from the 70's that's a very very expensive one though very expensive system, and both suck just as bad. Records have nothing on CD's, or even tapes, or even 8 tracks. It's super old technology, the most basic of basic of sound storage, and imo it doesn't sound all that great.

Not to mention those stupid diamond tips, expensive little buggers.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I have 2, a old Edison record player from the 1800's, and a modern one from the 70's that's a very very expensive one though very expensive system, and both suck just as bad. Records have nothing on CD's, or even tapes, or even 8 tracks. It's super old technology, the most basic of basic of sound storage, and imo it doesn't sound all that great.

Not to mention those stupid diamond tips, expensive little buggers.

Sapphire tips are much superior to diamond tips
I personally love collecting records. I'd be a liar if I told you the sound was completely different but I do think vinyl has a charm that compact discs failed to duplicate
I just preordered Andrew Jackson Jihad's Knife Man on vinyl a few hours ago, so...

I don't know if that is related to your question. I just wanted to tell people.
I don't even have a record player.