Hi all, I'm in the process of upgrading my old computer motherboard and processor. I've decided to go with an i5 processor, but would like to know what is a good motherboard? I want it to have usb 2.0/3.0, and a firewire 800 port. FYI, I am running Win7 64bit if that helps any.

Thanks, Tim
im fairly sure this thread should go into the pit, or another computer related thread if there is one
Wow, this thread is officially full of fail.

1. Get a Core i7, you'll notice the difference.
2. Good luck finding one with built in Firewire, Newegg has none thus limiting your option of newer boards. Only newer boards are going to have USB 3.0
3. Probably wrong forum as you're not building a recording PC
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If you're buying separate I would definitely an amd cpu, a lot more bang for the buck and I would go with either an asus or asrock motherboard.

I'm currently using a AMD Phenom II six core 3.2 GHz Black Edition- $169.99 (You can't buy an i7 for less than $200 and there are not any i5's for less than this AMD let alone with equal the computing power)

And this is my motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262

I'm really happy with my computer its definitely got enough cpu power to run my reaper set up with no problem. So personally I like AMD, I just feel like you get more bang for your buck. But it's up to you.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
yea i have to say i agree with jcboomer amd would be my chioce i have a phenom 2 965 x4 and i have no problems running reaper and multiple plugins and amp modeling vsts everything runs realy good for me and u can always get a pci firewire card if u need that
Thanks for all your input, sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I will definetly step up and get an i7 processor, I just wasn't sure if their was any pros or cons as too getting a motherboard with a firewire slot built in, or getting a pci firewire card. The reason I posted is because I am getting away from using my Tascam 2488 and moving into the recording on computer age. I plan on running a good amout of vst's and multiple tracks.

Once again, thanks

Tim
Last edited by tsw1976 at Aug 13, 2011,