What way when you guys are in a recording studio (if in a band) did you's be recorded?
The way that my band are doing it is that we all play together like the way that you would play live. Only the amps are all mic'ed up including the drum kit, so all the noise coming from them is going straight into the recording equipment. In interested in the other ways it can be done. Oh yea after we do our songs together we each individually go over them again just to beef them up a bit.

Check out my bands page in my sig.
Irons
I've done 3 demos that where tracked

drums->bass->rhythm guitars->2nd rhythm guitar->vocals->guitar leads

I favor recording live with a solid engineer though, for me there is a certain dynamic in playing live that is hard tor replicate.
Drums recorded in soundproof box, at the same time as the bass which was run through the amp into a DI box. The drums went out to a mixer, and split to a headphone channel so the bassist could hear them properly.
Then the guitars were recorded at the same time, on opposite sides of the room and mic'd up with 2 (possibly) SM57s though I couldn't be sure.
The lead vocals were done then, AKG condenser with soundproof boards stood up around it to help with damping.
Any backing vocals were added next, but there weren't any significant. Just a couple of harmonies.
Last edited by ShadesOfNight at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
Usually drums and bass together, and then the rest overdubbed. Although we're working on recording 'live' because it's far easier and i think we play a lot better live.

Yea recording live is the way we are doing it because our music is just far to complicated to do any other way unless we want to be there for years
Irons
"Live" gives you the raw kind of sound that you get with a lot of punk albums.

Seperate tracks gives a much more polished sound you get with more pop like artists.

I never recorded properly with my band except for sticking a mic in the middle of the room and all of us playing acoustically around it. Sounded very nice and echoey.
You can do it instrument by instrument, traditionally going for drums first and vocals last. But more bands tend to be reverting to the older methods of playing completely live.

Quote by ethanwhufc
Yea recording live is the way we are doing it because our music is just far to complicated to do any other way unless we want to be there for years

Had a listen to your stuff. You could easily record an EP in a few days, maybe less if you nail your takes. From a recording point of view, theres far more complex music to record.
Last edited by andyscoot at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by ShadesOfNight
Drums recorded in soundproof box, at the same time as the bass which was run through the amp into a DI box. The drums went out to a mixer, and split to a headphone channel so the bassist could hear them properly.
Then the guitars were recorded at the same time, on opposite sides of the room and mic'd up with 2 (possibly) SM57s though I couldn't be sure.
The lead vocals were done then, AKG condenser with soundproof boards stood up around it to help with damping.
Any backing vocals were added next, but there weren't any significant. Just a couple of harmonies.

Yep our drummer has been using headphones when we play live because he simply can't hear the guitars because there is no need for the amps to be up loud as they are going straight to the mixers.
Although the guy doing it for us has been extremly good notices every single thing wrong for example he noticed in about two seconds that there was a loose spring in the foot pedal of the drum kit, well he has been doing it for twenty odd years so I suppose that he should e that good by now
Irons
It's best when you play together, but the instruments are recorded separately, on completely different channels. Then if there's a mistake, it is easier to fix, and it's also easier to mix each track.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by andyscoot
You can do it instrument by instrument, traditionally going for drums first and vocals last. But more bands tend to be reverting to the older methods of playing completely live.

Had a listen to your stuff. You could easily record an EP in a few days, maybe less if you nail your takes. From a recording point of view, theres far more complex music to record.

Thanks for taking the time to look at our page, only two of our songs are put on our page and they are our lightest songs, and they are very very bad quality so sorry about that.
We are heading to the studio on Wednesday again, hopefully het the e.p finished
Irons