Hello.

I'm fond of Paul Gilbert, and if you know anything about him, you'll know that he's very, very good with his pinky and ring finger together, often using that in places where I'd use my middle finger and pinky.

Do you think it's worth practising so I can be as comfortable as he is with using those fingers in combination, or just do what's comfortable? Hand size isn't a problem - mine are almost as large as his.

Thank you.
Paul is my idol and I get to see him in 2 weeks. Do what's confortable to you.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
I have small hands for my height and wish i had long fingers like Paul Gilbert so that I could use all my fingers to their full potential. If hand size isn't a problem train all your fingers and it'll enable you to play wider intervals so much easier
Quote by MaVN
Paul is my idol and I get to see him in 2 weeks. Do what's confortable to you.

I saw him in London in November. Epic show! Met him afterwards, too, really nice guy.

Thanks.
Quote by gman128
I have small hands for my height and wish i had long fingers like Paul Gilbert so that I could use all my fingers to their full potential. If hand size isn't a problem train all your fingers and it'll enable you to play wider intervals so much easier

That's true. I mean I don't have any problems with any intervals just now, but it'd certainly be nice to have a better or more efficient technique.
You should ensure that you're using all four fingers efficiently. However, if you're talking about when Paul does things like: -1-3-5- with his index, ring and pinky, it's perfectly acceptable (and usually more efficient) to use index, middle and pinky.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
You should ensure that you're using all four fingers efficiently. However, if you're talking about when Paul does things like: -1-3-5- with his index, ring and pinky, it's perfectly acceptable (and usually more efficient) to use index, middle and pinky.

What he said. Just know that if you are not using your pinky you will never be as efficient as you can be.
Oh, I'm very good with my pinky. No problems there, it's just the pinky and ring finger combo that I'm not quite as strong with.

The Gilbert way.

The comfortable way.

Just in case it wasn't clear what I meant.

I find both easy-ish, but the comfortable way comes more naturally to me; I'm sure that with time I could learn to do it the first way just as comfortably.
I think a lot of the time Gilbert does Index-ring-pinky because the higher frets have less space between them and it's easier than having his gargantuan fingers trip over each other in such a small space.

It seems like it'd be good stretching and dexterity practice work for us mere mortals but maybe not as viable a technique.
Personally, I don't really see much advantage to Paul's way if you already do it "properly". The only thing I could think of is that it might be easier to nail bends using the ring finger after a fast run.

So, I would say experiment.
Quote by zincabopataurio
In that case it doesn't really matter. I always thought Gilbert did it the "comfortable" way though?

Nah, he always use the ring finger and pinky together for stuff like that. Check out him playing Technical Difficulties and you'll see that he uses his index, ring and pinky fingers to play the 3-5-7 part.

Quote by Sir Anonymous
I think a lot of the time Gilbert does Index-ring-pinky because the higher frets have less space between them and it's easier than having his gargantuan fingers trip over each other in such a small space.

It seems like it'd be good stretching and dexterity practice work for us mere mortals but maybe not as viable a technique.

That's probably true, but he uses it everywhere, which is crazy to me. D:

Quote by Freepower
Personally, I don't really see much advantage to Paul's way if you already do it "properly". The only thing I could think of is that it might be easier to nail bends using the ring finger after a fast run.

So, I would say experiment.

Ahhh, the bending makes a lot of sense! I'm going to try it out and see what happens. I'll post back here!