Hey guys,
So if i wanna play something fast now i have to keep practicing it slowly over and over then gradually gain speed until i can play it at full speed. Will it always be like that or will i get to a point where playing fast is rather easy as long as i know the notes i need to play??
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Sort of....If you generally can't play fast then yes you will need to start slow and build up just to get the feel of playing fast ,in particular picking fast. but even if you can play fast there are going to be licks that are out of your style and you will have to learn them slow. Granite once you play fast the build will be much less.

Check out Frank Gambales chop builder, its an exercise dvd w tabs to practice with...and watch alternate picking vids on youtube....the dvd you can get it for free if you know how to use torrents...it is pretty awesome and has helped me a ton.
Thanks pal i think i'll check that DVD out i'm sure i can figure out torrents!
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
I had been wondering about this for a while as well. Thank you MrWilson6 for posting this thread, and thank you treysonpwaters for the recommendation.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by MrWilson6
Hey guys,
So if i wanna play something fast now i have to keep practicing it slowly over and over then gradually gain speed until i can play it at full speed. Will it always be like that or will i get to a point where playing fast is rather easy as long as i know the notes i need to play??

As long as you maintain your speed by regularly practicing and playing, you'll be able to always play fast. At one point I was perfectly capable of playing with all down strokes, like MOP, but I kinda left my guitars alone for some time, hardly playing. When I picked them back up, I couldn't play very well with just down strokes. I'm still having trouble doing it for prolonged periods of time. It's like body building, getting your muscles all ripped and shit. If you stop for a long time without any kind of exercise, you can't go back to the gym and grab those 100 lb. dumbbells or you'll break something, lol.

As long as you maintain your speed and your picking hand, every time you pick your guitar up, you'll get right to it like it's second nature.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Last edited by TH3M B0N3Z at Aug 12, 2011,
For me i can pretty much play everything at a fairly fast speed, as long as i know the notes and are familiar with the shape.
A Metronome will make you a better guitarists than any DVD.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
This might sound old and redundant - but practice! practice! practice!
Quote by JustRooster
A Metronome will make you a better guitarists than any DVD.

umm you play it with a metronome? Im not saying if you buy this dvd (I pirated it! lol) you will be awesome. You still have to know what to play if you have a metronome though. I was just using that as an example of things to practice, as you get 30 some odd pages of exercises that aren't just running up and down scales, which is incredibly boring imo if you know them. I've actually only watched the dvd once, but there are probably about 100 different patterns in the tabs it comes with, which is pretty cool for someone just learning how to play like that because it also kind of shows you a lot of different patterns and chords in certain scales.