PIC HEAVY THREAD, DIAL UP USERS BEWARE

====================================================

Long time no thread from me. Like the last one, expect this one to be drawn out over a decently long period of time.

Backstory: A family that my family is really good friends with lost their son in a dirt biking accident years ago. He was a year younger than I am and he really was an amazing kid, going places in life, bright, etc. It was a real tragedy and it seriously touched a lot of people who knew him/the family, myself included. At a dinner party one night with mutual family friends, I showed his father the guitar that I built. He was very impressed by it.

He got in contact with me a few months later. He wanted me to have his son's guitar - the son hadn't played it much, but was trying to learn before the accident. He gave me a little forewarning - it would be a project, but after seeing my guitar, he thought I'd be the perfect person to have his son's guitar. I was extremely touched by the father's choice, and I absolutely couldn't say no. Especially not when it was a guitar. And definitely not when it was a project guitar.

So I went by their house today to pick it up. It's a 6 string classical style guitar. I'm not much of an acoustic guy, so I can't say for certain what the body shape is, but it looks to me like every other classical guitar I've seen. I did not measure the scale length.

Here's some pics for you:

It appears to be Laminated back and sides, 1 piece Mahogany neck, and possibly a Spruce top. I believe the fingerboard is Mahogany as well (simply painted black), with a completely flat radius.

Here's the make and model, if anyone wants to do some digging. It was Made in Korea.

==

Now, for the juicy part. I said it was going to be a project. I was told it was going to be a project. I knew something of what I was going to be getting in to when I picked it up. I had no idea of the severity though.

Brace yourself.

Yeah. From what I could tell when I got it (strings were still attached), someone had put bronze acoustic strings on the guitar, for the E and A strings. It seemed like the B string had been over tightened as well.

Because of those, the headstock was under extra tension. I'm told that the boy's sister accidentally stepped on it when it was lying on the floor in the house. Combined with the string tension, the neck simply couldn't take it. I had no idea the head broke off; I thought I was getting into a scarf joint repair.

Here's some more pics of the break.

Here's a pic of the wood, IMO definitely mahogany.

The break from above:

===

I think I've reached the picture cap.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Here's a side view of that break. Notice that it happens right up top of the neck. You'll see exactly how bad it is in the next picture.

And said next picture:

See that? The bottom of the fretboard. The neck snapped just right to take out like the whole "scarf joint" area. I don't think there is a scarf joint in this neck to be honest.

Here's a side view of the top of the neck. A chunk of fretboard is missing. Looks like mahogany to me.

Matching them up:

As fast as I pick it up,
So what's my plan of attack? I'm not entirely sure. I have a couple of options.

Regardless of what I do I'm going to have to steam the fretboard off.

I could scarf the neck, put on a new headstock, and put on a new fretboard to a custom scale length.

I could remove the neck and build a new one.

I could scarf the neck and then scarf the headstock, and put a block between them, and keep the original scale length.

I am certainly open to suggestions on which route to take.

I'm going to refinish the neck, whichever way I go. I'm thinking I'll do a slight radius on it, just to make it a little more comfortable to play. Maybe.

Have some more pictures.

In these, the coupon appears just to help my camera with white balance.

The bridge seems to be a little broken.

Here's what the bottom of the fretboard looked like:

And the top:

More chunks of fretboard missing:

Doesn't it look like mahogany?

I found the nut, too. They put it inside the resonance chamber after it broke. That was a smart idea.

===

So, that's my new project. I need to figure out how I can use the shops at school. I'm really itching to do some work, and because of the history behind the guitar, I really want to do an excellent job.

Feel free to do some digging on the name/model of the guitar, I'd like to know more about it. Also, suggestions or what have you are definitely welcome.

Copa

As fast as I pick it up,
Last edited by Copaman at Aug 12, 2011,
reserved if I need it

As fast as I pick it up,
Well, from the severity of the break it seems like it's going to be difficult for anyone who hasn't been dealing with fixing guitars for a while. It is fixable. Even a skilled luthier wouldn't be able to get that neck to play like it should. I would take the entire neck off and put a new one on
Last edited by vjferrara at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by vjferrara
Well, from the severity of the break it seems like it's going to be difficult for anyone who hasn't been dealing with fixing guitars for a while. It is fixable. Even a skilled luthier wouldn't be able to get that neck to play like it should. I would take the entire neck off and put a new one on

I think you'll be surprised

As fast as I pick it up,
Quote by RenKaiya
I would guess it's maple, rather than mahogany

It might be. The neck and fretboard wood are very similar in appearance, I believe that whatever one is, the other is as well.

As fast as I pick it up,