hey guys! so I've been thinking lately to buy my 1st multi-effects pedal. Nothing fancy just something to start with. I've been playing for over a year now on electric and previously played 3 years on acoustic (if that counts). I play mostly metal, some satch and Steve Vai. Please give me suggestions, idk what to look for or how to know if its good for me. I need something neat for practice, something versatile and definitely durable, and I've written some stuff and wanna try out recording them. Oh and my budget is around 100-150 USD, if thats enough.

sorry for my bad english i just moved to US

and thank you in advance!!

this is my gear:
-- jackson JS23>> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js23-dinky-electric-guitar

-- marshall mg10>> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg4-series-mg10-10w-1x6.5-guitar-combo-amp-black/501640000001000
What do you want the MFX to do for your tone?

Honestly the best you can do for your tone, is to change your amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You should sell hte mg and get a Peavey Vypyr. Itwill sound much better and have all the effects built in. The Vypyr has got some good metal sounds and is pretty versatile.
Just so you know, cheap amps like the mg don't take pedals to well.
You'll probably also get a lot of comments saying 'what you really need is a new amp'

Although, a multieffects pedal might be good if you want to try out different effects and stuff.

So:
Why do you want a multi effects pedal?

If it's to get a better sound, then you should save up for a new amp.
If it's just to try out effects, and muck around with then get a multi effects pedal.

But don't expect getting good recordings from your gear. You would want to get something like the line 6 pod studio GX or something for that.

As for pedals, look at the digitech rp series or the zoom multi effects. You might be able to get a boss ME-25 if you shop around
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Just so you know, cheap amps like the mg don't take pedals to well.
You'll probably also get a lot of comments saying 'what you really need is a new amp'

Although, a multieffects pedal might be good if you want to try out different effects and stuff.

So:
Why do you want a multi effects pedal?

If it's to get a better sound, then you should save up for a new amp.
If it's just to try out effects, and muck around with then get a multi effects pedal.

But don't expect getting good recordings from your gear. You would want to get something like the line 6 pod studio GX or something for that.

As for pedals, look at the digitech rp series or the zoom multi effects. You might be able to get a boss ME-25 if you shop around

if i were to go for the amp, what amp should i get?
Quote by guitarpatrick66
You should sell hte mg and get a Peavey Vypyr. Itwill sound much better and have all the effects built in. The Vypyr has got some good metal sounds and is pretty versatile.

so if i were to have that amp i wouldn't need a multi effects pedal then?
Quote by xmrk666
if i were to go for the amp, what amp should i get?

Depends on your budget.

It sounds like you want a better sound [ie a better amp]. Therefor, save up your money.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Depends on your budget.

It sounds like you want a better sound [ie a better amp]. Therefor, save up your money.

around how much do i need then 500? or 1000 maybe?
Quote by xmrk666
around how much do i need then 500? or 1000 maybe?

It depends how good a sound you want

500 can definitely get something respectable, especially used.
1000 can get something pretty damn decent, especially used.

It all depends on how much you want to invest in your sound
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
It depends how good a sound you want

500 can definitely get something respectable, especially used.
1000 can get something pretty damn decent, especially used.

It all depends on how much you want to invest in your sound

how bout those famous peavey vypyr or line6 spider? is that enough? i mean i'd really like to buy those big full stack amps. budget is not really a problem for me, but i just dont think i need it now. i will definitely buy it if i feel like i deserve it or if i'm that good.

so what do u suggest to be my upgrade after the marshall mg10?

hey man! thank you so much for responding!!
Well vyper is a bit of an upgrade. Spider is not really an upgrade.

It depends, if you want to stay cheap maybe go for a vyper or a roland cube [either Microcube [home practice] or 30w [small gigs], I wouldn't get any of the in between]. A little more expensive maybe a vyper tube or valveking. A similar price range [more rock orientated though] jet city 20w, or an egnater. Maybe a randall of some kind [metal orientated] or a bugera [might be too expensive, and has had reliability issues in the past].

Honestly, I don't know too much about prices in the US. But those are some to look at, that are fairly cheap. Probs not the jet city or egnater for metal unless you boost it with an overdrive [ie a digitech bad monkey or ibanez tube screamer]. But it will do lighter metal fine.

Metal is a bit too wide, but this post should give you a bit of an idea.

muledit:
If you decide you are going to get a new amp, make a new thread and make sure it includes the things listed here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

There are people who can probably offer better advice then me.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by mulefish
Well vyper is a bit of an upgrade. Spider is not really an upgrade.

It depends, if you want to stay cheap maybe go for a vyper or a roland cube [either Microcube [home practice] or 30w [small gigs], I wouldn't get any of the in between]. A little more expensive maybe a vyper tube or valveking. A similar price range [more rock orientated though] jet city 20w, or an egnater. Maybe a randall of some kind [metal orientated] or a bugera [might be too expensive, and has had reliability issues in the past].

Honestly, I don't know too much about prices in the US. But those are some to look at, that are fairly cheap. Probs not the jet city or egnater for metal unless you boost it with an overdrive [ie a digitech bad monkey or ibanez tube screamer]. But it will do lighter metal fine.

Metal is a bit too wide, but this post should give you a bit of an idea.

muledit:
If you decide you are going to get a new amp, make a new thread and make sure it includes the things listed here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

There are people who can probably offer better advice then me.

dude. thank you sooo much for this!

I think its about time to upgrade my amp and buy a multi effects pedal.
maybe a vyper or roland cube for now. or if ill find a used but great one.

oh, and one more thing..
i've been searching a bit on musician's friend. kindly look at this and tell me which one should I get? and why?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/digitech-rp255-guitar-multi-effects-pedal/580863000000000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/zoom-g1xn-guitar-multi-effects-pedal/h70258000000000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/digitech-rp90-guitar-multi-effects-pedal/153571000000000

thanks again dude. your so awesome!
if i were you, in a stage while turning knobs and figuring out what you like/ dont like, i would have to recommend the peavey Vypyr tube 60 watter.

look up 311, hes got some really sweet clips of it up on his profile.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hey man, I looked at the links and I think the rp255 would be the best one for you because it has more features than the other ones you listed and it has the best sound quality. If you go to my profile you can listen to my clips which all came from my guitar and my rp355. Theyre not very good, but it'll just give you an idea of what it sounds like. and if you can, I'd get a used rp355 for around $150 on eBay because of the more features and effects than the 255. It's worth it, trust me.

And for the amp, if you really want the mfx unit to sound good, then a small tube amp is the way to go. It'll also sound pretty good through a cube(I sometimes use mine through a cube and it sounds fine )
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by kutless999
Hey man, I looked at the links and I think the rp255 would be the best one for you because it has more features than the other ones you listed and it has the best sound quality. If you go to my profile you can listen to my clips which all came from my guitar and my rp355. Theyre not very good, but it'll just give you an idea of what it sounds like. and if you can, I'd get a used rp355 for around $150 on eBay because of the more features and effects than the 255. It's worth it, trust me.

And for the amp, if you really want the mfx unit to sound good, then a small tube amp is the way to go. It'll also sound pretty good through a cube(I sometimes use mine through a cube and it sounds fine )

oh sweet! the rp355 is definitely better ( i looked it up before responding to your comment).Thank you for that suggestion, I think i'll go for the rp355. And hey, I just listened to your clips and it sounds nice!

And one more thing, --could you please tell me exactly how did u record that? on what software or the audio cord you used, or something like that. I've written some stuff and I want to try record them but idk how, so please help me.

thanks again man!
Thanks I recorded it via USB cable to my laptop using audacity. And yeah, the rp is really a great pedal. I hope you get it!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by xmrk666
oh sweet! the rp355 is definitely better ( i looked it up before responding to your comment).Thank you for that suggestion, I think i'll go for the rp355. And hey, I just listened to your clips and it sounds nice!
Good choice.
Quote by xmrk666
oh sweet! the rp355 is definitely better ( i looked it up before responding to your comment).Thank you for that suggestion, I think i'll go for the rp355.

Yep, out of what you linked, I'd go the RP255. The rp355 is the next step up so I think it will be good for you.
RIP Gooze

cats