So. I'm 15, I want to do my first live performance. But my friends/bandmates (we aren't really a band, we just kind of jam with each other some times. They are unmotivated and don't particularly want to do a open mic night. How can I motivate them?
Last edited by kfeild at Aug 13, 2011,
Just remember this is a day you will never forget my first performance i was 13 and it was just two of us. I mean just tell em' how much do they love music.
Quote by ampoverload
You dont need bandmates

You're right, I don't. But I can't sing for crap but I can play guitar very decently. Thanks for your post though, gave me some confidence hahaha no clue why
Quote by Tcsanchez
Just remember this is a day you will never forget my first performance i was 13 and it was just two of us. I mean just tell em' how much do they love music.

Thanks man, I will try that

If not I will peer pressure them.

Tell em to grow some balls and get out there.
You don't have much to lose at an open mic night, and it could turn out really well.
Quote by its_alive
Tell em to grow some balls and get out there.
You don't have much to lose at an open mic night, and it could turn out really well.

Thanks for the advice!
I'd try to find other bandmates. I wouldn't want bandmates who don't want to play live either.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I guess another way to motivate them is to make them more comfortable with what you're playing. Rehearse more, come up with a good, tight set. Perhaps they just don't think you guys are ready?
Attention from the preferred gender of choice is often enough motivation.

Playing in a band is a great way to cheaply feed an ego. Easily satisfies a need for attention/appreciation while playing rock star on stage, and/or wins attention for romantic pursuit. Often it will net more romantic interest than being a starter on a high school football team, as long as you don't look hideous or have a personality akin to that of a sloth.

Remind bandmates of what's available as goals for success. Lather, rinse, repeat.
If they don't want to play now it's always going to be a battle to get them to practice/gig. Just do yourself a favor and get rid of them.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!