Hi UG- I am 15 and I'm wondering- How can I go about starting a band? I'm by no means a singer, but how can I go about starting a 3 or 4 man group?
Quote by NosralTserrof
You find people.

I know this- My post above wasn't very helpful-
How do I go about finding people with the same interest as me, the music scene in my school is all punk metal and that and I'm just really into blues and rock!
talent show...shred until your fingers bleed, whip out your **** and scream who wants to join my band...worth a shot
You have to have freinds.
That like music.
If you don't, well, your a solo artist.

How do I go about finding people with the same interest as me, the music scene in my school is all punk metal and that and I'm just really into blues and rock!

OMG DID SOMEONE JUST PUT PUNK AND METAL AS THE ONE TERM?

OMG DID SOMEONE SAY THERES A SCHOOL WHERE PEOPLE LISTEN TO METAL?
OMG I WISH MY SCHOOLW OULD STOP LISTENING TO ROCK AND POP AND RAP!
I WANNA GO TO A METAL SCHOOOOOOOL.

Okay. before you try making a band, TRY JOINING A BAND.
Or put an ad up somewhere, like your local music shop or something looking to join a band or start one, your music genre, this case, Stone and Reds (Um I don't think that came out right).
METAL!
Quote by kfeild

Bribe people into the band with Black Flag shirts?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Bribe people into the band with Black Flag shirts?

bwauhauhaaa
Quote by kfeild

The sad truth is, you might have to play something other than what you're into to get in a band. Being a guitarist is not easy. Maybe if you hang out with those people enough and jam with them you might start liking that kind of music. It sounds stupid but it happens.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I have a whole circle of friends in high school that are all musicians to some degree. We hang out and jamz, there's about three bands between all of us. I've never had to ask strangers to be in a band, so I can't help you with that.

About playing a good genre, you'd be surprised what people like, I'm a punk fan but always enjoy good blues and reggae jams. Don't think that all the people in your school would want to play is punk and metal.

I'm 15 too btw...
Last edited by TheWEBBY at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by TheWEBBY
I have a whole circle of friends in high school that are all musicians to some degree. We hang out and jamz, there's about three bands between all of us. I've never had to ask strangers to be in a band, so I can't help you with that.

About playing a good genre, you'd be surprised what people like, I'm a punk fan but always enjoy good blues and reggae jams. Don't think that all the people in your school would want to play is punk and metal.

I'm 15 too btw...

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try that!
Yeah, when i was in high school, which was very recent, I would join my friends bands, no matter the genre. Eventually, people, random people I don't know would come up to me "you play bass right?"

And now I'm really close to being signed, we just have to find our drummer who disappeared...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Just jam with some of those punk/metal dudes!
you might find someone who shares your interest (Playing blues).
Quote by kfeild
Hi UG- I am 15 and I'm wondering- How can I go about starting a band? I'm by no means a singer, but how can I go about starting a 3 or 4 man group?

I wanna start a band but i go to a predominately black school....soo yeahh...
Quote by vampirelazarus
Yeah, when i was in high school, which was very recent, I would join my friends bands, no matter the genre. Eventually, people, random people I don't know would come up to me "you play bass right?"

This is the pattern you have to follow if you want to be "known" as a professional guitarist. Play any and all genres, don't have any preference to what sort of music you play, and put your hand up for everything. You have to be in multiple bands, be reliable, and enjoy doing it.

So basically what I'm saying is that you're on the right path vampire. You can probably attest that if you don't like a song, you'll generally enjoy playing it anyways. Making music is fun.

If you don't have any friends who play instruments, look outside your friends group. Pretty easy.

And just because you want to play blues doesn't mean that you can't play rock, country or pop. They have a lot more in common than the scales.

And....

Quote by TANG0DOWN21
I wanna start a band but i go to a predominately black school....soo yeahh...

Not sure what your point is. That everyone's a bass player?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
we all know black guys got no sense of rhythm

edit: sorry, thats white guys isnt it?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
If your bigger goal is to play in a blues or rock band, there is no point in wasting time playing for punk and metal bands. If your bigger goal is to just play in a band, then it might be worth your while to try getting in with the punk and metal kids.

Have you talked to any of them about starting a rock or blues band? Maybe there are those who have the interest but you don't know about it because you haven't really gotten to know them. You can put flyers around saying you're starting a band. Go to your local guitar center or music store and throw a flyer up saying you want to start a band, give contact info, preferred genre of music (rock or blues) and what age group you're looking for. start putting posts on Facebook, message musicians you know that might be interested, or even musicians who might not be interested. you never know who'll say yes.

The first step is letting everyone know you're interested in starting a band. If no one is aware of this, then obviously, no one will show any interest in starting a band with you.

If no one in your school shows up, try looking for musicians in different schools. heck, ask any of your friends if they know anyone who plays a certain instrument or something. If you dont have friends in other schools, perhaps they do, and maybe they even know someone who plays!

Sometimes these things can be tough, but if you can persevere, it will definitely be rewarding! Just don't be afraid to get out there and find people!

"Figure out what you want, and then figure out how to ask for it"
Last edited by Brandon Bloom at Aug 16, 2011,
Quote by AlanHB
So basically what I'm saying is that you're on the right path vampire. You can probably attest that if you don't like a song, you'll generally enjoy playing it anyways. Making music is fun

thats why I did it that way.

Thats the advice I was giving, do as I did, it'll be fun.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by AlanHB
This is the pattern you have to follow if you want to be "known" as a professional guitarist. Play any and all genres, don't have any preference to what sort of music you play, and put your hand up for everything. You have to be in multiple bands, be reliable, and enjoy doing it.

I can 100% guarantee there are many more ways to become a professional guitarist and be known as a professional guitarist than doing this i do like your thought process about spreading a good reputation, great stuff!

Your suggestion will definitely get your reputation as a good all around musician musician spreading, which can be helpful. It all depends on your goals, if this is what you want, then yes you are definitely on the right path. However, if one wants to be a professional neoclassical shredder guitarist, getting stuck in a blues band just isn't the gig you're looking for (or vice versa).

It is very important in a music career for there to be congruency in what you are doing and in what your goals are. If you want to be a great professional country guitarist, there is no relevance in learning to play metal. It is just wasting time when you could be playing, writing, jamming, working on your career, or doing anything else country related that will bring you closer to your goals. While you could argue that playing in multiple bands can bring you closer to your goals and getting you known, do you want your reputation as a metal guitarist spreading when you really want to be playing blues? usually not. this is then, not congruent with your goals, and thus not as beneficial. play in multiple blues bands, write, record, and release blues songs, and a blues record, whenever you have the capabilities to do so, get endorsed as a blues guitarist, do blues covers on youtube and gain a blues fan following. Do everything right and you will become known as a professional blues guitarist just as the hypothetical you has always wanted!

play in many different bands and the hypothetical you is now known as an all around good guitarist with many genres under your belt. reliable. good to work with. etc. This is great if you want to be a session musician, or if bands are looking for someone to fill a spot for a show in an emergency. however, when you go to release a record, fans may not know what to expect, or will be disappointed because the record you released won't be the style they were expecting from you. and sadly there is no way to become as proficient in your favorite musical genre by focusing on many different ones than if you just focus on that one. branching out occasionally to pick up some ideas from other genres is one thing, but trying to truly master all of them as an artist is just impossible in one lifetime.

However, this is really only if you are looking for a professional career if you are forming a band and playing for fun, do whatever you want!

and at age 15, it might just be best to get experience and focus on the career thing in a few years if you still really want to pursue it by then.

Hope this was helpful
Quote by Brandon Bloom
I can 100% guarantee there are many more ways to become a professional guitarist and be known as a professional guitarist than doing this i do like your thought process about spreading a good reputation, great stuff!

Your suggestion will definitely get your reputation as a good all around musician musician spreading, which can be helpful. It all depends on your goals, if this is what you want, then yes you are definitely on the right path. However, if one wants to be a professional neoclassical shredder guitarist, getting stuck in a blues band just isn't the gig you're looking for (or vice versa).

It is very important in a music career for there to be congruency in what you are doing and in what your goals are. If you want to be a great professional country guitarist, there is no relevance in learning to play metal. It is just wasting time when you could be playing, writing, jamming, working on your career, or doing anything else country related that will bring you closer to your goals. While you could argue that playing in multiple bands can bring you closer to your goals and getting you known, do you want your reputation as a metal guitarist spreading when you really want to be playing blues? usually not. this is then, not congruent with your goals, and thus not as beneficial. play in multiple blues bands, write, record, and release blues songs, and a blues record, whenever you have the capabilities to do so, get endorsed as a blues guitarist, do blues covers on youtube and gain a blues fan following. Do everything right and you will become known as a professional blues guitarist just as the hypothetical you has always wanted!

play in many different bands and the hypothetical you is now known as an all around good guitarist with many genres under your belt. reliable. good to work with. etc. This is great if you want to be a session musician, or if bands are looking for someone to fill a spot for a show in an emergency. however, when you go to release a record, fans may not know what to expect, or will be disappointed because the record you released won't be the style they were expecting from you. and sadly there is no way to become as proficient in your favorite musical genre by focusing on many different ones than if you just focus on that one. branching out occasionally to pick up some ideas from other genres is one thing, but trying to truly master all of them as an artist is just impossible in one lifetime.

However, this is really only if you are looking for a professional career if you are forming a band and playing for fun, do whatever you want!

and at age 15, it might just be best to get experience and focus on the career thing in a few years if you still really want to pursue it by then.

Hope this was helpful

It was all very helpful, thank you guys!