Hey guys, I'm workin on this song where the verse progression is Am(alternating with Asus2)/Cmaj9(alternating with C maj7)/Dmaj(alternating with D sus4). Chorus progression is Em7/Cmaj9/Dmaj. I thought it would be in A min since it starts with that and the chord sequence fits, but it seems to only want to resolve to Em and notAm especially for the chorus part. Which key would it be in?
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
i think its A min but since you use D maj instead of D min it seems to be in the Dorian mode.
So its A dorian. just the A minor scale with a raised 7th note. the theory guys will be here soon.
Last edited by ciano16 at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by ciano16
i think its A min but since you use D maj instead of D min it seems to be in the Dorian mode.
So its A dorian. just the A minor scale with a raised 7th note. the theory guys will be here soon.

First Dorian has a natural 6th, not a raised 7th which I think you meant natural 7th. And modes would'nt have a part in this by how complex the chord progression is. The Dmajor could be seen as a borrowed chord from the Parallel Major.

If it sounds resolved to E, then resolve it to E. Remember, a progression doesnt have to be resolved on the first or last chord in a phrase.

Cmaj Dmaj and Emin is a very common progression in minor, the bVI bVII i progression. All of those chords, aside from variations *didnt check to see if they were diatonic* are all in E minor, so safe bet that it may actually be in E. If you want it to resolve to Amin, try making the Emin into an E7, this will pull to Amin
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Last edited by Zinnie at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by Zinnie
First Dorian has a natural 6th, not a raised 7th which I think you meant natural 7th.

****. yeah i meant raised 6.. but i still say its dorian. looking at all the notes from the chords and their alternates, i get the notes of the G major scale. idk if i mightve missed one... but the F is sharp instead of natural. so if it was just A minor, it would be dorian because of the sharp F right?
Quote by ciano16
****. yeah i meant raised 6.. but i still say its dorian. looking at all the notes from the chords and their alternates, i get the notes of the G major scale. idk if i mightve missed one... but the F is sharp instead of natural. so if it was just A minor, it would be dorian because of the sharp F right?

Dorian scale, yes, dorian mode, not so much. Dorian has a lot to do with the resolution, the harmonies and melodies, and it generally resolves around a vamp, say like Amin6.

He said it sounded resolved to Emin, which makes a lot more sense than A dorian. modal music is very complex to write if you dont know how to. I still dont know how and I understand it pretty well. If it resolves to Emin, then it is in Emin.

If it resolved to A, with the complexity of the progression, its safe to assume itd be in Amin with the F# as an accidental
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
then it is in Emin.

If it resolved to A, with the complexity of the progression, its safe to assume itd be in Amin with the F# as an accidental

Yeah i made this way more complex than it was. i even said i found the G scale notes lol. G is relative major of E min. so yeah its E minor...
Now I think it is Am, but just substituting the iv with a iv^, doesn't necessarily change the key, just using an accidental for the F. As far a resolving well to Em, don't a lot of chords sound good resolving on their V? Could I have figured it out?
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
Now I think it is Am, but just substituting the iv with a iv^, doesn't necessarily change the key, just using an accidental for the F. As far a resolving well to Em, don't a lot of chords sound good resolving on their V? Could I have figured it out?

not quite. the very fact that it's a V implies that there is a I. in fact, if you're writing something in A minor, it's extremely difficult to get something to resolve to an Emaj (or Em) chord, especially if the key is established.

i don't really have time to play through it now because i have to do laundry so i can drive down to florida from new york in about 9 hours. if this thread is still around once i'm settled down there, i'll come back and take a look.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
not quite. the very fact that it's a V implies that there is a I. in fact, if you're writing something in A minor, it's extremely difficult to get something to resolve to an Emaj (or Em) chord, especially if the key is established.

i don't really have time to play through it now because i have to do laundry so i can drive down to florida from new york in about 9 hours. if this thread is still around once i'm settled down there, i'll come back and take a look.

Oh I get it. Alright awesome, i'd really appreciate that, I was actually waiting for you to come around for an answer lol. Thanks man
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Actually, I worked the whole thing out on paper, and Em fits perfectly. Thanks guys!
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!