Hey all,

Sorry for making another thread, but i discovered there was a h&k TriAmp MK1 head with stageboard and MIDI module on the interwebs and i had some questions:

1. Is the amp versatile?
2. Is there any danger buying a 20 year old amp?
3. Is 650€ a fair price for it? ( I live in Holland )

Thanks for reading, now please answer my question

Jeffrey
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Paging rokket ...

I believe you can get them here in the US for ~$700.

I have the MK II and it's a tweaker's amp. I love it's versatility which is why I'm on my 3rd. Swapped/sold the 1st/2nd. It has it's unique H&K clean and has enough gain to do some Metal.

And what about the life span about it?

My parents don't want me to buy a amp what need to be repaired etc
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
And what about the life span about it?

My parents don't want me to buy a amp what need to be repaired etc

Hughes and Kettner amps are pretty solid.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks for the replies

I hope i can convince my parents...
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
i've only tried the mark II, but it was versatile as all get out. I wasn't super-fussed on the higher gain tones, but the lower gain tones (up to and including hot-rod marshall, so 80s metal) were awesome.

can't help with reliability concerns, never owned an h&k or bought an older amp. but if the mk II i tried was anything to go by that'll be some amp for 650 euro...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as far as reliability, it's built by germans. it was the premier amp of it's day, for a lot of pro musicians.

but like any used amp, it's best to try it first. is that possible in this situation or no?

i've only had the lower end H&K tube amp (edition tube). and i was very impressed with that amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
as far as reliability, it's built by germans. it was the premier amp of it's day, for a lot of pro musicians.

but like any used amp, it's best to try it first. is that possible in this situation or no?

i've only had the lower end H&K tube amp (edition tube). and i was very impressed with that amp.

Thanks a lot!!

I can test it first, if i werent able to, i would not even consider this amp

Does anyone know why h&k stopped the TriAmp mk1 and started building the mk2?
And what the differences are of the mk1 and mk2, sound and dial wise?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
Thanks a lot!!

I can test it first, if i werent able to, i would not even consider this amp

Does anyone know why h&k stopped the TriAmp mk1 and started building the mk2?
And what the differences are of the mk1 and mk2, sound and dial wise?

This is just speculation, but a lot of companies will cease production of an amp, rework/tweak the circuit, and then re-release it later based on feedback from customers, players, etc, so as to better reach the tone they hope to achieve with that particular model.

Mesa/Boogie is one example, as seen with their many revisions of the Mark III, subsequent release of the Mark IV and then Mark V, and the various revisions of the Rectifier series over the years.

An amp redesign is also a good way for a company breathe new life into an amp series that may have lagging sales. Take, for instance, Peavey and the Ultra series, which became the XXX, which became the 3120, which branched off into the JSX, which is now the XXX II since Satriani left his endorsement.

I'm not sure of the differences between the H&K Triamp MkI and II, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i remember reading what the difference was somewhere, but i forget

maybe check the h&k website, in case they have a section about older models? if not, try some googling or searching at other gear-centric forums (hc, tgp, rig-talk etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've had no problems with my Peavey VTM60, which was 24 years old when I purchased it. I haven't even had to retube it yet (obviously didn't come with stock tubes). I wouldn't worry too much.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
@dave: will do asap i am on the pc

@ippon: i know. The mk1 doesnt have the blue light, but i wanna build leds in the amp when i want to x)

You know the differences of the mk1 and mk2? ^^
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
@dave: will do asap i am on the pc

@ippon: i know. The mk1 doesnt have the blue light, but i wanna build leds in the amp when i want to x)

You know the differences of the mk1 and mk2? ^^
I haven't played the MK I; so, PM rokket2005, he has one, and I believe, has compared the 2.

Quote by Ippon
I haven't played the MK I; so, PM rokket2005, he has one, and I believe, has compared the 2.

Thanks a lot ^^

will PM him
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
he never responded

will go tomorrow to the buyer, when he responds back.

Will sure make a NAD when i have it ( with ipod mic... )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
i think hk reworked all the non tube stuff in that amp.
switching, lights, all that stuff.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
well the MK2 is pretty nice for everything but really high gain stuff i found, the full midi programming is really neat tho and it has frickin blue lights so it is instantly awesome (Y)
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Thanks, AM

@Shred: the blue would really NOT be awsome in my room.

1st: 1000€ more expensive
2nd: ugly in my room ( orange and grey )
3rd: my parents
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
blue lights are awesome, no exceptions

but yeah i haven't seen rokket around for a while, maybe that's why he didn't answer
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lol, i thought you prefered the red lights
Or do you have a gf, lolz...

I have the amp, will write a review and a NAD post, but first of all: GONNA PLAY THE FREAKIN' AMP
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Gregs, its true

You will see in my nad thread in a few days

THE AMP IS REALLY LOUD, in weight xD
Quote by RetroGunslinger