Hey guys,

I have a drum audition next month, and I've decided to play "Death Of Balance/Lacrymosa" By Symphony X. The problem is, I'm a little rusty since i have'nt been playing for months. I have one or one and a half months until the audition. Is that much time enough to get my speed back and nail this song?.

Thanks in advance
Absolutely. A month and a half is a SUPER long time, honestly. I'd probably say no if it was a matter of, say, two weeks, but we're dealing with about four times that amount here.

IMO, if you focus on learning ANY given song for a week, learning the structure/arrangement and memorizing what kind of grooves and stuff, you will have it down pat without much effort.

As for your technical facility, it's hard to say because I haven't seen/heard you play, so you'll have to be your own worst critic in this case. For chops/technical stuff though, it's honestly just a matter of transcribing exactly what you're trying to learn, playing that lick/groove at say... half the performance tempo, and then gradually building it up. Playing the same thing for just 5 minutes that slow will let you master basically any lick, I think. Obviously, at half speed almost anybody will be able to play it, so I would recommend trying to bump up the speed in increments of 5-10 bpm (you don't really need to play it over and over for this, just a couple times until you can definitely tell if you can reliably execute it at that speed) until you hit a point where you can't play it anymore, speed-wise. Then, back down in increments of say... 2 bpm, until you can play it cleanly. Practice it at that speed for a couple days, then try to increase the speed by 2 bpm increments until you find the point where you can no longer play it. Repeat this process ad infinitum until you see the desired results.

Speed basically comes as a result of control-- if you can't play something slow, then you obviously won't be able to play it fast, without it sounding offensive anyway

In short, yes, going on what I presume, I think this goal of yours is entirely possible as long as you work hard at it. Is this a song that you know you could play with some effort, or WAY out of your current league?

Also... Planet X does indeed rock.
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 13, 2011,
What type of "audition" is this? Timing and the ability to lock in with other musicians is far more important than "chops" or speed. The fact that you plan on going in and playing a pre-arranged peice of music seems a bit odd to me.
Quote by leo4sf
What type of "audition" is this? Timing and the ability to lock in with other musicians is far more important than "chops" or speed. The fact that you plan on going in and playing a pre-arranged peice of music seems a bit odd to me.

I agree. Is it for a Symphony X tribute band? Is it for Berklee? Community college?

If I was auditioning drummers for a Blues Brothers tribute band, I would not care if you had learnt this massive song I had never heard before. I'd care if you didn't learn any blues brothers songs though.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud