Page 1 of 2
all the riffs that you could ever write are taken on the guitar, so every time you "write" something, people go like "oh my god you're copier". What do you guys think on this? Are riffs going to run out and to be original we have to resort to Meshuggah riffs in odd time signatures to make sure its not the same as any other riff? Or do you think people won't even care?
It's not done before people start writing more in 6/4. That doesn't sound much off, and hardly anyone use it.

But I think most people will bash at writers/composers.
there are no original riffs anymore. somebody is bound to sound like someone else.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
I still think there are plenty of riffs left. Just depends if you're creative enough to find em
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
It's not copying as much as it is recycling and evolving. Every differing genre of music we have today is built upon what was before, saying that it's stealing is rediculous because none of the ideas of the artist were completely concieved by them, they were reused and bettered as seen fit from their influences. (Who, in turn, had their own influences.)

And that's okay, this is how art evolves. Trying to limit this and call people out on it only stagnates music.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Aug 13, 2011,
They're not going to run out. There has been great guitar riffing ever since the 60's.

Or 50's actually
Omg dude I was just think what happens if all the chips that you could ever eat are eaten, so every time you try to chips, people go like "oh my god no more chips". What do you guys think on this? Are chips going to run out and to be satisfied we have to resort to making our own chips in odd flavors to make sure its not the same as any other chip? Or do you think people won't even care?
Quote by KYmonster
"oh my god you're copier"

Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
N e wt u n i n gt e m p e r a m e n t s !

C!re!!ati!ve a!!!cce!n!!tin!g!
Last edited by juckfush at Aug 13, 2011,
i print 20 riffs a second in black and white and 15 if its in colour
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Jyrgen
They're not going to run out. There has been great guitar riffing ever since the 60's.

Or 50's actually

Or the 20's/30's You know, jazz and blues.

Actually we could probably go even further back to the lute
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Yeah, last thing I want to hear when listening to the blues is an unoriginal riff.

Quote by JAHellraiser
Or the 20's/30's You know, jazz and blues.

Actually we could probably go even further back to the lute

I wonder if lute players got all the girls back then, or if they got beat up like today.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Yeah, last thing I want to hear when listening to the blues is an unoriginal riff.

Running out of riffs is indeed like running out of numbers.
Quote by blake1221
Bach already wrote all of Western music.

Yip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_PJvAYlX4&feature=player_detailpage#t=49s

He even invented country. Little known fact.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
It has already happened. I have head countless of guitar solos where the guitar riff from "johnny B. goode" appear in some way.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
Quote by Weaponized
Omg dude I was just think what happens if all the chips that you could ever eat are eaten, so every time you try to chips, people go like "oh my god no more chips". What do you guys think on this? Are chips going to run out and to be satisfied we have to resort to making our own chips in odd flavors to make sure its not the same as any other chip? Or do you think people won't even care?

Not the chips!! I love chips...
Combination. That's all music really is now, combining riffs with riffs with riffs with meleodies to make something original. Sure, the vibe sounds the same, but that's what makes a genre.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Play it in different tuning. Change the time signature. add wah. rinse, repeat, profit
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Play whatever riff you want, then just whammy the hell out of it.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
You don't have to worry about stolen riffs. Or atleast, I never hear my family complaining that my poop looks the same shade of brown as theirs. It's the same thing.
Quote by Smokey Amp

I think we're laughing for the same reason.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
So far i'm gradually getting away with playing the same riff for lots of different songs in my band by just changing the key and occasionally the rhythm.

-0-5-2 is the secret to all music. Just move that pattern around accordingly.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Aug 13, 2011,
I tend to avoid writing traditional riff-based music for this exact reason. Virtually everything I come up with I end up hearing in another song, often one I've never heard before.

Although sometimes it's ones I've heard but forgot about, and then I thought I made the riff up, but then I hear the song and feel like an idiot for thinking I wrote something so good.
Quote by Zoot Allures
So far i'm gradually getting away with playing the same riff for lots of different songs in my band by just changing the key and occasionally the rhythm.

-0-5-2 is the secret to all music. Just move that pattern around accordingly.

And you call the Foo Fighters boring?
dammit, i just deleted my blog about this too!

simply put, it will never happen in your lifetime. there are just that many combinations. there are X^Y riffs, with X representing the number of notes to choose from and Y representing the number of notes in the riff. so for example, we'll use the Coldplay/Satch thing as an example. the melody has 14(?) notes, using all natural notes(?). 14 notes, 7 choices for each. so that gives us 7^14 combinations, which is equal to 678,223,072,849. even if only 1 in 1,000 are any good, that's still 678,223,073 decent riffs left. and that's just with only 14 notes. and you can have way more than 14 notes in a riff. add just a few more, and add the possibility of accidentals, and you've got literally trillions of riffs, more than will ever be written in quite a long time.

but since this is hypothetical, i'd just tell them to **** off because i used the riff better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Everyone's ripping off Meshuggah already, so if you think they're the last bastion of musical originality you are deeply and thoroughly fucked and/or quite possibly living under a rock.
Quote by sam b
No. That'slike saying "what if numbers run out"

Real talk, right here.

It'd be interesting to see someone actually calculate the number of possible note combinations in a 4 measure riff.
I don't even shred
Quote by blake1221
And you call the Foo Fighters boring?

Foo fighters use far too many chords, and not enough E. I must admit even though that pattern is good, it can result in 3 chords being played which is jazz, a better alternative could often be a simpler version, like so.

0-2

or 2-5

It's also well established that a lot of the best riffs are open string hammerons at the 3rd fret. 0-3-0-3

^_^
Quote by Nebjy
Real talk, right here.

It'd be interesting to see someone actually calculate the number of possible note combinations in a 4 measure riff.

way to not read my post two above yours.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
dammit, i just deleted my blog about this too!

simply put, it will never happen in your lifetime. there are just that many combinations. there are X^Y riffs, with X representing the number of notes to choose from and Y representing the number of notes in the riff. so for example, we'll use the Coldplay/Satch thing as an example. the melody has 14(?) notes, using all natural notes(?). 14 notes, 7 choices for each. so that gives us 7^14 combinations, which is equal to 678,223,072,849. even if only 1 in 1,000 are any good, that's still 678,223,073 decent riffs left. and that's just with only 14 notes. and you can have way more than 14 notes in a riff. add just a few more, and add the possibility of accidentals, and you've got literally trillions of riffs, more than will ever be written in quite a long time.

but since this is hypothetical, i'd just tell them to **** off because i used the riff better.

14?!
Page 1 of 2