Hey, I'm looking for some high quality yet cheap guitar pedals, trying to achieve a Johnny Marr/John Squire sort of sound, ringy, jangly & melodic but at the same time, has some distorted edge? If that makes any sense whatsoever.

I was obviously looking for a chorus pedal and a distortion pedal, and possibly a delay pedal, but your suggestions are wanted.

Ps. right now I play an epiphone les paul through a marshall 15g 45w am
p, Thanks!
If you're looking to save money, you could be better off buying a multi-fx unit.

The Boss ME50 (OK, I'm biased because it's what I use...) is excellent, and unlike a lot of multi-fx units it acts as 3 separate pedals - distortion, chorus and delay. Sounds like it could be just what you need.

As an added bonus, it also includes an expression pedal and loads of other effects too.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
+1 on the multi fx.
I had the ME50, didn't really like it. BUT, the new POD HD series Line 6 currently sells is pretty awesome. Maybe a bit more expensive than you'd have liked, but the amp simulations will probably be better than your current amp... And of course, the effects are pretty good (better than the ME50, imo)
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
Yeah, you're def gonna need some delay, chorus and perhaps a Tremolo (guess for which song) but you won't really get that "Girl Afraid"-type jangly sound from your LP because Marr often played Rickenbackers which have a very unique (somewhat "tinny") sound to them. You could get close with some EQ / attack equalizer / pickup modeling unit. So yeah, perhaps it would be wise to check out some multi-effects units

Start off on the internets, there's usually a lot of bargains on sites like eBay and such. Look out for brands like Zoom, Line 6, Boss, Vox and Digitech

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that the POD HD300 or HD400 that you have? I've only ever heard good things about Line 6 products, but have never had the opportunity to try them, although the ME50 scores higher in UG's review section (it gets 9.3 overall rating, the HD300 gets 6.9 and the 400 gets 8.0).

As a tip for Pregowski92, when you've narrowed down your choices, check out this site's review section, most guitar kit has at least one review, if not several so you'll be able to judge how well you'll get on with it by comparing the reviews.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The 500 actually. I never tried the other ones, so i can't tell you much about those. But it's a real improvement over the ME50
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
The 500 actually. I never tried the other ones, so i can't tell you much about those. But it's a real improvement over the ME50

Only going by the reviews I found on here ;o) From all that I've heard about Line 6's products, I was surprised the two I found scored so low.

Think we're all agreed that a multi-fx unit is the way for this guy to go though. We should leave it up to him to read up on them all and decide which he wants.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Check out the rp355 by digitech. The effects and distortions sound great and you can find it used for around $150 on eBay. I highly recommend it. http://www.digitech.com/en/products/rp355
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 13, 2011,
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah, seems like a multi-effects pedal would be the best option, and yeah I'm aware that the guitar itself I have isn't the best choice for what I'm trying to achieve, i'd be much better with a rickenbacker, strat or a semi-acoustic gretsch, it all comes down to a tight budget and it seems the Boss ME50 and the POD HD might be a bit too steep for me just yet too.

The sound i'm really trying to go for is more or less squire's guitar in 'I Am The Ressurection' by the Stone Roses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6QnK0yql8s) and the type of sound Johnny's going for here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWivXLXeyLI at about :30 seconds into it playing 'There is a light that never goes out' with that chorus effect. Well, a cheaper version of that. I can sort of hear what I want it to sound like, but I can't really describe it.
i think getting a better amp with built in fx - vox vt series/fender mustang..
would get a better 'base' tone and the fx all work together pretty well..

i've had a reasonable tone out of a peavey vypr on the 'twin' channel with tremelo..
Quote by GaryHB
If you're looking to save money, you could be better off buying a multi-fx unit.

The Boss ME50 (OK, I'm biased because it's what I use...) is excellent, and unlike a lot of multi-fx units it acts as 3 separate pedals - distortion, chorus and delay. Sounds like it could be just what you need.

As an added bonus, it also includes an expression pedal and loads of other effects too.

You forgot to mention the half second lag between switching between patches, in most cases it wont matter but just every once in a while when you need to be dead on the beat it'll let you down
Klon
Echoczar
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
You forgot to mention the half second lag between switching between patches

I don't use the patches function, I only ever use it in the standard mode where it acts as 3 separate stompboxes. There isn't a lag in that mode.

Will take your word for it and watch out for it if I ever do experiment with the patch side of things, but I've never heard anyone else mention it so I'm a bit sceptical that it's as noticeable as you're claiming.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryHB
I don't use the patches function, I only ever use it in the standard mode where it acts as 3 separate stompboxes. There isn't a lag in that mode.

Will take your word for it and watch out for it if I ever do experiment with the patch side of things, but I've never heard anyone else mention it so I'm a bit sceptical that it's as noticeable as you're claiming.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1915471-boss-me-50-patch-time-lapse

http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/stompboxes-7/boss-me-50-problem-70006/
Last edited by Talon64 at Aug 13, 2011,
Good links - I guess that mode isn't perfect. I never saw that mentioned in any of the reviews I read when I bought it, but then I did buy it quite a while ago when it first came out.

I don't see me using the patches though, like I said, I only ever user the separate stompbox mode, it was one of the main reasons I bought this kit as my previous fx units only used patches and I never liked that way of working.

I'd still recommend the ME-50 to anyone looking for a good solid & reliable unit which is made easy to use because it's designed as 3 separate stompboxes. Even though it has the ability to remember patches, that's more of a secondary function, unlike other units which focus on that first & foremost.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The digitech rp355 has more features and effects than the me50 and is easy to use as well.
Well i've been looking for a lot of the day, finally came to a decision, I bid and won a Zoom G1 for just under 20 GBP on ebay, inc p&p which i'm quite happy with. And I've been reading on here, seems like it's a relatively decent product especially for the budget that I was working with. I should be able to squeeze out, very cheaply some of the sounds that I want. Just a final quick question, is there any other pedals or such that I could get to compliment the sound of the G1? Thanks!
How much is 20 GDP? And the g1 will be fine as long as you got it for a good price.
Quote by kutless999
How much is 20 GDP? And the g1 will be fine as long as you got it for a good price.

20 GBP.. 20 great british pounds, roughly 32 dollars, or 22 euros..

I think it's a pretty amazing price! cost roughly 50 GBP new!
Wow, that's a good deal.